It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Putin Pulls Back Troops, Says No Need for Military Action in Ukraine

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 08:23 AM
link   
reply to post by MysterX

The Korean war never ended.

South Korea and the US hold these maneuvers every year and specified times that are given to the North. They also didn't send a contingent of troops into North Korea on a humanitarian mission to protect all Korean speaking peoples.

edit on 4-3-2014 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 08:33 AM
link   

Xcathdra
reply to post by KnightLight

That raises some other issues entirely to be honest.

Russia already confirmed they had military forces in / additional deployed to Crimea.

If the "self defense militias" are not Russian, then why are they telling people they must contact Moscow for directions (reported for the airfield incident)?

You may not understand me at first. Putin is playing with words. I said they were Russian. Do you know what "technically considered" means?

It means that when Putin says he pulled back all the Russian troops he isn't talking about the "other troops."

get it?

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 08:34 AM
link   
Huff an Puff at air, that's what this was.
Putin tried his hand at a show of force an it failed, EPIC FAIL.
Me an my battles at Battalion were talking about this yesterday, we knew no shots would be fired, 'cept warning shots.
I honestly think those WERE russian troops, but cleverly disguised so as to not raise suspicion. If they were "Well trained Ukranians" its safe to assume that all Ukranian military is just as well and that would be a problem for Ol pootie poots.
No, me thinks those were his personal crack troops and he is playing the political card of, "DUUUH, IDK..."

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 08:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

I think some people may simply be disappointed that the Mystery soldiers may be pulled back to wherever they once came from. It just only happens to coincide with Putin saying Russian Soldiers who were on a Surprise Exercise are being returned to Russia from wherever they were..

No harm, no foul
edit on 4-3-2014 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 08:41 AM
link   
So Putin is denying the troops under his nominal control are actually HIS, eh? lol... Riiiiight.... As if.. I'd like to see what 3rd party combat force Putin WOULD allow into a theater he'd chosen to take over and project influence across.

Still... He has a good point and oddly enough, I was thinking about this before going to bed last night. They were wearing sanitized uniforms. The more I looked, even the gear looked chosen with anonymity in mind. Not the heavy equipment (where did the self defense force get self propelled artillery and BTR-60's?) but the personal gear.

Honestly, I was thinking this over with some of the video of these troops and it struck me. Who says they ARE Russian?? They arrived in a lightning move, prepared and pre-equipped. Dressed for success and with places to go....all during what appears to be a fast developing and changing crisis...but...was/is it?

There are at last 4 private military contractor organizations in the world that could have filled his order and had the men in the street which we say, on the timeline we saw and with the discipline we saw. At least 4. I wonder.....did we just observe the first major national deployment WITHOUT national forces forming the body of it?

I wouldn't be so quick to assume Putin is lying. He's absolutely not known for lying in general. What he IS known for is being a Picasso in choosing wording for meaning. Subtle...complex...whatever he wants, he's good at it.

Nothing he said precludes an outside force at his pay and command.

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 08:42 AM
link   

Xcathdra
reply to post by MysterX

The Korean war never ended.

South Korea and the US hold these maneuvers every year and specified times that are given to the North. They also didn't send a contingent of troops into North Korea on a humanitarian mission to protect all Korean speaking peoples.

edit on 4-3-2014 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

Plenty have argued the cold war has never ended too...what's your point? Agitating is agitating, and hypocrisy is..you get the idea.

The reality is, there are no North Korean's in South Korea busy banning this and that, and outlawing everything the South holds dear...this is happening in Ukraine, and a large amount of ethnic Russians in East Ukraine and of course, Crimea are in very real fear of being further victimised and have violence arrive at their doors.

Your thread has no teeth.

There is no invasion, only regularly stationed Russian troops in Ukraine.

The mass of Russian military holding drills, did not enter Ukraine and have returned to base.

Ukrainian Ethnic Russians and those in Crimea has officially requested Russian Federation assistance to keep the peace and prevent the kind of brutality and mindless violence of the kind seen on the streets of Kiev.

And you have a problem with that?

Who ought to defend these people asking for help in Crimea and in the East Ukraine, against the far right thugs intent on banning just about anything Russian, bearing in mind 16,000 Russian troops, at least 6000 Ukrainian troops allied with those Russian are already there, on the ground in Crimea...in your opinion?

There's no invasion, despite being hysterically screamed about in the media and on forums, no controversy over troops, apart from that which is being deliberately whipped up to create propaganda against Putin and that which involves defections TO the Russian troops and their pledge to defend Crimea and the East Ukraine.

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 08:43 AM
link   

Arnie123

If you don't know what game he is playing how do you know if he failed,
or if the game is even over for that matter?

Seems to me he gained even more support in Crimea,
and set precedent for Ukrainian forces to not resist them.
AND he didn't withdraw troops from Crimea as far as I can tell...

Not everyone just blitzes like Germany. Some use more deception.
edit on 4-3-2014 by KnightLight because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 08:46 AM
link   

Wrabbit2000
So Putin is denying the troops under his nominal control are actually HIS, eh? lol... Riiiiight.... As if.. I'd like to see what 3rd party combat force Putin WOULD allow into a theater he'd chosen to take over and project influence across.

I agree with the rest of your post. At least you get it.

He never said they were not his, he only said they were not Russian troops.
Smart people like Putin speak specifically. It's everyone else who broadens the meaning.

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 09:48 AM
link   
I don't believe that Putin is pulling any troops back unless its a ploy to make people think so and the statement about no need to use force "now" is something totally different.

After reading Putin's first statements about his actions it would seem he is in total control of what is going on and will stay that way tell he decides he is done.

What is really sad and embarrassing being an American is the crap we are being fed by this administration as if they will do a damn thing. You can not tell me that Putin and his backers did not know the consequence of these actions and fell no fear from the paper tigers threatening him.

Kerry will handle it, after he is done bowing maybe he can suggest they throw any military campaign medals they might have away in protest.

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 10:11 AM
link   
Imagine Russia will leave all its commandos in Crimea, Russian fleet is probably ferrying across all sorts of lunatic combat units from Chechnya, dont fancy a stroll through Crimea any time soon wearing U.N/NATO colours, nope. Walk into a country covered in 10/20 year+ experienced combat veterans?, no, no thank you.

Pretty awesome of Putin to just quickly show the world how fast he could basicaly mobilize his crazy tank army to pretty much annihilate most of Europe any time he likes. Well at least until he hits Hungary anyway, but then he would probably just go North and crush Belarus and Poland.

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 10:18 AM
link   

SLAYER69

MessageforAll
Wth? I watched the Q&A of Putin on RT, He never said he was pulling back his troops, he said the troops who where on the surprise exercise are coming back.

You believe him?

That is

This was all just a surprise exercise?

The troops he is calling back are from an exercise!

Russian troops ordered home from surprise war games

On the other hand he says that all options are on the table:

Putin: Deploying military force is last resort, but we reserve right

And before I get again flak for citing RT, here is another link:

Putin Slams Ukrainian Govt, Says Invasion 'Last Resort'

So in essence he has used the troops already inside the Crimea to secure the bases. He has support from defected Ukrainian units and support from the so called "Independent Crimean Defense Units" which are often called the "Mystery Soldiers".

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 10:26 AM
link   
reply to post by MysterX

S&F to you. Finally someone with a more "common sense" approach and telling as it is. This isn't some "Video game". And the one keeping the cooler head is for sure Putin.

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 10:28 AM
link   

Guenter
And before I get again flak for citing RT, here is another link:

Defensive right off the bat.

Thanks for the links

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 10:40 AM
link   
If invasion was "last resort" by Putin, then why did he invade Ukrainian soil via Crimea? Hopefully this lull is a sign that things will calm down. But sometimes, lulls are the calm before the storm.

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 12:47 PM
link   

KnightLight

Arnie123

If you don't know what game he is playing how do you know if he failed,
or if the game is even over for that matter?

Seems to me he gained even more support in Crimea,
and set precedent for Ukrainian forces to not resist them.
AND he didn't withdraw troops from Crimea as far as I can tell...

Not everyone just blitzes like Germany. Some use more deception.

--
Agree to disagree...
One thing we can agree on, DECEPTION.
Ol pootie poots game was his show of force and it failed big time, regardless of the fact that troops were their for some war games scenario, he knew what he was doing and it didn't work, the whole international community was condemning him. Then he turns around and says Sanction would be a disaster? PFFF YEAH RIGHT, the US is set to over take the UAE and Russia as the worlds largest exporter of oil an natural gas, a little fact people are quick to dismiss, it means nothing to the US if they think otherwise.
Supporters in crimea will always be pro-russian, their is no MORE SUPPORT, but regardless of that, CRIMEA IS STILL PART OF UKRAINE, they are ukranians, not RUSSIAN.
Texas has a lot of mexican's, doesn't mean mexico can waltz in an claim they are there to protect mexicans, your views are foolish on the matter.

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 02:41 PM
link   

ATTENTION!!!

Off topic remarks, bickering needs to stop NOW!!!!!!

--Off Topic, One Liners and General Back Scratching Posts--

Discuss the topic and not other members: do NOT derail the topic.

You are responsible for your own posts.

We expect civility and decorum within all topics.

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 02:51 PM
link   
Wait, i already posted this?

Anyway it's over or actually never really begun, just the big propaganda machine at work.

Russia's Putin orders troops in military exercise back to base

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Dizak
reply to post by Xcathdra

OKAY.. What amazing technology does the united states have that can cause Russia to pull back 150k troops. I don't buy the BS about sanctions, other countries being pissed....ect.

I find it entirely to strange.. based on reading various media sources that Russia's is now.... Oh my bad these 150k troops were just training next to your border.. instead of anywhere else in the massive country.... Honest....LMAO.

Love it

Although I would rather Russia and the US stand down then lob nukes at each other.

I'm not saying what I think they where or weren't doing, but if you are going to train to defend your country, training by your boarders makes sense. Probably one of the most important parts to train by.
edit on Marpm04pm312014-03-04T16:25:58-06:0004America/Chicago by mahatche because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 04:59 PM
link   

MysterX

The bloke tells it like it is, and either way you're never satisfied...he states his ligitimate right to protect those military assets in Crimea, he already has 16,000 troops situated in Crimea as per long standing agreement with Ukraine, and could if he wanted to, also as per long standing agreement, add another 9,000 - 10,000 troops without a moments notice!

The Black sea fleet and port is a major part of this long standing agreement between Russian Federation and Ukraine, so what's the issue with Russian troops in Crimea?

You got a problem with long standing agreements for Russian troop stationed in Crimea suddenly?

Putin/Russia has absolutely no legitimate right to be in Ukraine. His agreement was with the now exiled/ousted corrupt FORMER government of Ukraine whose leader has fled the country with his tail between his legs. Pack up and get the hell out or roll the dice and invade and occupy. But the whole...peel the Russian insignia off uniforms and scratch your head about who those troops are is cowardice. It sets the stage for "deniability" when Putin decides to start arresting and killing the locals.

Maybe you can explain how if he is defending a legitimate claim in Crimea, he is doing with troops which he won't publicly acknowledge?

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 05:14 PM
link   

MysterX

Ukrainian Ethnic Russians and those in Crimea has officially requested Russian Federation assistance to keep the peace and prevent the kind of brutality and mindless violence of the kind seen on the streets of Kiev.

And you have a problem with that?

WTF? So there are an estimated 4 million Russian-Americans in the United States...Is Putin justified in sending troops here to defend them against perceived intolerance?

Ukraine does not belong to Russia! If an ethnic Russian in the Ukraine feels insecure where they live, then they can either rely on the local government for protection or return to Russia. Either way, Russian Forces occupying is not a valid response on FORIEGN SOIL.

When things go to hell in a foreign country...do you know what local Americans do? Pack up and get the hell out ...we don't send thousands of troops to go occupy under the guise of protecting those X-pat Americans who feel a little worried.

Why again has Moscow told it's military in Crimea to remove insignia that identifies them as Russian Military? Does that sound like a legitimate action or intent?

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join