It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Largest Galaxy in the Universe

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 3 2014 @ 09:58 AM
link   
reply to post by jhn7537

And it usually surprises me too, even though I know it, how tiny the earth is compared to the sun, an average or below average sized star.

So this galaxy gets larger by shear weight, gravitationally pulling in galaxies around it. The poster who said that there's only one of these discovered so far has a good point - if this one is doing it why aren't there an entire class of galaxies of this size or even larger?

posted on Mar, 3 2014 @ 12:53 PM
link   

cosmicexplorer
reply to post by abeverage

ah I was just making a joke....

But the sheer size of things...our brains cant even comprehend....there was a video going round earlier where it would zoom into a particle and zoom out to the known galaxy...that thing was so cool...ill try to find it...but when you just think how much space there is....at the microscopic and universal level....suddenly our facebook status' just dont seem so cool anymore...

While I agree about the FB status it is only within each of us is this vastness even pondered, completely as amazing that we can appreciate or even try to comprehend it. That blows my mind almost as much as the scale of the Universal constructs.

Are these the droids...ERrrr Scale of the Universe you are looking for?
edit on 3-3-2014 by abeverage because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2014 @ 02:02 PM
link   

yes thats it!!! thx brother...i owe ya one

posted on Mar, 3 2014 @ 02:10 PM
link   

cosmicexplorer

yes thats it!!! thx brother...i owe ya one

You betcha Abell 2929 and IC 1011 are both in there and are mind blowingly huge!
edit on 3-3-2014 by abeverage because: I forgots an L...

posted on Mar, 3 2014 @ 06:49 PM
link   
reply to post by RUFFREADY

I'd like to know, since the universe goes on infinitely, how could they know which is the largest? Actually, can there be a "largest"?
edit on 3-3-2014 by Bilk22 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2014 @ 07:52 PM
link   

Bilk22

I'd like to know, since the universe goes on infinitely, how could they know which is the largest? Actually, can there be a "largest"?
edit on 3-3-2014 by Bilk22 because: (no reason given)

This galaxy is the largest known to us, there may be larger ones out there. But I guess that at some point, on a larger and larger scale, gravity will become too weak and the expansion of the universe + random movement of the stars will become too strong to keep them all bound into a galaxy.

posted on Mar, 3 2014 @ 08:17 PM
link   
The only limits to the universe are the ones in human minds...

posted on Mar, 3 2014 @ 08:24 PM
link   
So they say the universe is forever expanding. They also say we will one day have the complete opposite of the big bang, the big squeeze or big collapse. This "galaxy" sort of proves this but with the vast distances between galaxies and with expansion, how does this even happen?? May a galaxy or two but ultimately with these vast distance expanding, HOW DOES THIS HAPPEN?? Mind blowing..
6 BILLION LIGHT YEARS ACROSS? Isn't that nearly half the distance of the 13.7 billion light year the known universe is? We are such cave dwelling, knuckle draggers. Only able to travel 10's of thousands of mph. Sad with all the distances that need to be traveled, we cannot make it to most of our own planets.

posted on Mar, 3 2014 @ 09:23 PM
link   

boymonkey74

Blimey thats big

Needs a better name though any ideas?.
Og cheers OP S&F.

Gulliver.

posted on Mar, 3 2014 @ 09:33 PM
link   
The ETs there have ETs.

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 08:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Hr2burn

That's 6 million lyrs across (not 6 billion) ...but..hey ..still..Jeeez!!

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 11:06 AM
link   
I wonder how big it's black hole at center is.

Must be large, will it evaporate into Hawking Radiation.

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 12:14 PM
link   
Maybe we are just infinitely small ........

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Hr2burn
So they say the universe is forever expanding. They also say we will one day have the complete opposite of the big bang, the big squeeze or big collapse. This "galaxy" sort of proves this but with the vast distances between galaxies and with expansion, how does this even happen?? May a galaxy or two but ultimately with these vast distance expanding, HOW DOES THIS HAPPEN?? Mind blowing..
6 BILLION LIGHT YEARS ACROSS? Isn't that nearly half the distance of the 13.7 billion light year the known universe is? We are such cave dwelling, knuckle draggers. Only able to travel 10's of thousands of mph. Sad with all the distances that need to be traveled, we cannot make it to most of our own planets.

Ha ha, reminds me of the Red Dwarf episode where everything was backwards in time. Cat sure didn't like the ending......lol...lol

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 12:18 PM
link   
This changes the scale of everything we know about. We can't be alone. It's just too much space and material for life to start out there.

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 12:20 PM
link   
Could you imagine if they would find an earth like planet 100 times the size of the earth. We could thrive on such a planet.

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 12:23 PM
link   

How about..... The Kraken....

Is that a super massive star at it's center, or is it just so dense with gas and stars that it appears that way?

if it's a super massive star I imagine this Galaxy to be one of great turmoil.

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 12:23 PM
link   
reply to post by mmirror

No, it would simply take us a little bit longer to completely destroy it, and with a planet 100 times the size, we would find a way to destroy it 100 times as fast.

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 08:32 PM
link   
The video (and book and movie) is "The Universe in 40 Steps". The origional was European done in Holland, and a translation was done for the American market with photos done in Chicago. Classic. Each step is 10x larger or smaller.

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 08:53 PM
link   

Uno Mucho Grande Galaxia..

Hey OP, where did you get "Lavia" for our Galaxy?? Have you just been on one of those sites??

Is says "La Via Lactea".

My knowledge of Latin and Spanish are poor....but even english can translate this...

La = The.....Via = Way......Lactea (lactose, lactation etc) = Milk....

Hence The Milky Way. Simples.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join