It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Largest Galaxy in the Universe

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+16 more 
posted on Mar, 3 2014 @ 07:00 AM
link   
IC1011 is a Giant Galaxy. It is so big that it makes our own galaxy look like a speck (grain of sand almost) next to it. It is big!!

Of all the galaxies in the universe, which one is the largest? It's a natural question to ask, and in this video, we explore the answer. Of all galaxy types that exist in the universe, ellipticals are the largest. This one in particular, known only as IC 1101, is the king of them all.
Source : hubblesite.org...

The little dot Lavia is us below (I used a picture with Spanish or something words hahahaha )

:
edit on 3-3-2014 by RUFFREADY because: spelling

posted on Mar, 3 2014 @ 07:07 AM
link   
reply to post by RUFFREADY

I feel so insignificant....

posted on Mar, 3 2014 @ 07:07 AM
link   

Blimey thats big

Needs a better name though any ideas?.
Og cheers OP S&F.

posted on Mar, 3 2014 @ 07:12 AM
link   

What a great trip on this Monday morning. Enjoyed that video.

S & F

posted on Mar, 3 2014 @ 07:15 AM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

Hahaha! How about, "Big Bertha", from Marvel Comics.

posted on Mar, 3 2014 @ 07:17 AM
link   
reply to post by DaphneApollo

Thanks. Yeah..me too!! That super massive black hole in the center of that big galaxy is mind blowing also!! Jeez!!

posted on Mar, 3 2014 @ 07:19 AM
link   

Just think of the amount of exoplanets circling stars in that galaxy. If a "Federation" exists it'd be traveling around something like this one, on the odds-of-civilized planets per square hundreds of light years alone.

posted on Mar, 3 2014 @ 07:19 AM
link   
Total Perspective Vortex for the WIN!

Hey, I can see me! Look, I am smiling!

posted on Mar, 3 2014 @ 07:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Aleister

Yeah, I thought of that also..the numbers are just wow! Also I thought ... this is the only galaxy that's this big..in the whole universe (so far) that's been found. Why?? Why not two...or more? So, this is also the rarest galaxy not just the biggest!

posted on Mar, 3 2014 @ 07:27 AM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

constellation
to show which one it's in:

Supergiant galaxy IC 1101. It is the largest known galaxy at about 6 million light years across, compared to the Milky Way at about 100,000 lys, and contains up to 100 trillion stars, while the Milky Way has about 400 billion. It's the result of many collisions by smaller galaxies, and lies 1.07 billion light years from us in the constellation Serpens.
edit on 3-3-2014 by RUFFREADY because: because

edit on 3-3-2014 by RUFFREADY because: other was blob

posted on Mar, 3 2014 @ 07:33 AM
link   
Here's another picture with size etc...

posted on Mar, 3 2014 @ 08:29 AM
link   

boymonkey74

Galaxiath

or

BFG!

posted on Mar, 3 2014 @ 08:31 AM
link   

Nice find, mate! S&F from me.
edit on 3-3-2014 by swanne because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2014 @ 08:37 AM
link   
reply to post by swanne

coordinates for IC1011Constellation: Virgo

Coordinates (2000.0):
Right Ascension: 14h 28m 04.53s
Declination: +01° 00' 22.5"

Magnitude: 15,0

Apparent size (arc min): 0,4

IC1011 Galaxy Description: Faint, very small, round, N = 14m. Constellation: Virgo. Coordinates (2000.0): Right Ascension: 14h 28m 04.53s

www.skyfactory.org...

posted on Mar, 3 2014 @ 08:41 AM
link   

Thanks, You and me came up with the same link!

posted on Mar, 3 2014 @ 08:42 AM
link   

boymonkey74

The Leviathan Galaxy.

posted on Mar, 3 2014 @ 08:58 AM
link   

RUFFREADY
reply to post by Aleister

Yeah, I thought of that also..the numbers are just wow! Also I thought ... this is the only galaxy that's this big..in the whole universe (so far) that's been found. Why?? Why not two...or more? So, this is also the rarest galaxy not just the biggest!

actually there could be many others. we humans are limited by our instruments of measures. I cannot understand why scientists keep repeating the our universe's age is known. when the hubble telescope showed us it's deep field image, it DID NOT show the edge of the universe, it's "measuring" ability, as sophisticated and advanced as it is, only shows wavelength readings out to approx. 13 billion light years. I think it would be safe to say, their is no way to know how big our universe is, because of our limitations.

posted on Mar, 3 2014 @ 09:36 AM
link   

cosmicexplorer

I feel so insignificant....

Why? Out of an entire Universe of possibilities there is only one you feeling this way. Awe inspiring to say the least it only makes me feel amazed.

Yoda: Size matters not. Look at me. Judge me by my size, do you? Hmm? Hmm. And well you should not...
edit on 3-3-2014 by abeverage because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2014 @ 09:48 AM
link   

Great thread, RUFFREADY!! I love threads like this. Our Universe is truly fascinating, I honestly can't believe the shear size of some galaxies like the one in this thread, just amazing.. And like one of the posters already mentioned, its amazing how insignificant the Universe can make me feel..

S&F sir!
edit on 3-3-2014 by jhn7537 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2014 @ 09:50 AM
link   
reply to post by abeverage

ah I was just making a joke....

But the sheer size of things...our brains cant even comprehend....there was a video going round earlier where it would zoom into a particle and zoom out to the known galaxy...that thing was so cool...ill try to find it...but when you just think how much space there is....at the microscopic and universal level....suddenly our facebook status' just dont seem so cool anymore...

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join