It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ukraine should be Europe's problem not the USA's problem

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2014 @ 08:34 AM
link   
Ukraine was in talks with both Europe and Russia for a economic deal, the USA was not apart of this. The Ukraine chose a deal with Russia, then a popular uprising occurred. Europe should be leading any effort to stabilize the situation, not the US. What reason or justification do we have to have interest here? Why are republican and other conservative groups so eager for war over this situation?

How do we (the USA) have anything to gain by this conflict? How is it our business?

Do we need at the least a proxy war against Russia in Ukraine? Do we want all out war with Russia over the Ukraine?

edit on 2-3-2014 by LDragonFire because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2014 @ 08:36 AM
link   
reply to post by LDragonFire

I think things like this should be everyone's problem.

Rev

posted on Mar, 2 2014 @ 08:37 AM
link   
We have nothing to gain. However, in order to get Ukraine to give-up their nuclear weapons stockpile when the USSR collapsed the US and Britain (and others) entered an agreement to basically 'have Ukraine's back' should anything happen. Well, looks like something has happened. Now, do we honor that agreement or just walk away?

posted on Mar, 2 2014 @ 08:38 AM
link   

The Ukraine is in debt, big time, the IMF and the Russian state bank both want to bail the country out, then they will 'own' it, big country, lots of wheat, iron ore, chrome, manganese, coal, would you not like to own a country with that in it?

posted on Mar, 2 2014 @ 08:45 AM
link   

LDragonFire
Why are republican and other conservative groups so eager for war over this situation?

Once upon a time, war was a huge boost to the economy. They are stuck in the past in this regard, war does nothing but cost lives/money on a grand scale. They also think that America should spend more on defense than the next 13 countries combined. That's way too much, it's just showboating arrogance that we can't afford.

LDragonFire
How do we (the USA) have anything to gain by this conflict? How is it our business?

I would like to think that 'peace' anywhere in the world has a nice ripple effect, promoting more peace globally.

Politicians would like to think that they '1-upped' Russia.

posted on Mar, 2 2014 @ 08:52 AM
link   
reply to post by DeadGhost

I would like to think that 'peace' anywhere in the world has a nice ripple effect, promoting more peace globally.

Yeah, cause we Americans know starting a war is good for spreading that peace around.

posted on Mar, 2 2014 @ 08:54 AM
link   

what's wrong with you people.... America is involved because its been pulling the strings in Ukraine... maybe this time its confusing for people who are used to wars for oil since this one has more to do with gas.... I live in the fictional land of Europe and I don't see why We should send in any peace force or make threats on behalf of a deal that was brokered by America through Europe so that the gas lines come under western control.... and Russia has already bailed out Ukraine, they've been topping up Ukraines economy by 15 billion dollars a year for years now.... this is all America's plan and Europeans are getting tired of weighing in on your geopolitical conflicts, that's why we are going through a rapid "de-Americanisation" and protesting to end these conflicts.

Does anyone remember when Romney was running against Obama, he said he was going to be tougher with the old enemy Russia, everyone thought he was mad, relations were stable at the time, then Obama got in and passed all this Magnitsky act etc etc.. started all the anti-russian rhetoric, moved missiles closer to Russias border and thereatened them several times over Syria etc... so this was the plan all along and both parties were going to do the same...

When they couldn't draw Russia into Syria they brought the conflict a little closer then threatened putin to stay out of Ukraine when they knew He couldn't and they knew the 85% ethnic Russian Crimeans would ask for Russias help... dangerous game being played.

la2

posted on Mar, 2 2014 @ 08:55 AM
link   
reply to post by jtma508

I think it's a very dangerous precedent to ignore treaties we have signed with other nations, we need to just fulfill out international obligations.

posted on Mar, 2 2014 @ 09:04 AM
link   

Possible World War 3 concerns all the nations of the planet. I don't see a way out for USA, and the gov knows that too.

posted on Mar, 2 2014 @ 09:22 AM
link   

edit on 2.3.2014 by CJCrawley because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2014 @ 09:36 AM
link   

Am I the only one here who thinks Ukraine should be Ukraine's problem??
The Ukrainian people are stuck between a rock (Russia) and a hard place (US/EU) and no side is meddling in their affairs for altruistic reasons.
The best thing for Ukraine would be independence from both blocks.
(I know, I know... independence isn't "granted" anymore in our day and age)
edit on 2-3-2014 by ColCurious because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2014 @ 09:40 AM
link   

[ How do we (the USA) have anything to gain by this conflict? How is it our business ]

US controles the EU states.....
Ukraine with the EU and NATO will provide the US an naval base in the Krim and superority in the black sea
russian navel vessels will be only operating from the baltic sea and for sure the fall douwn of Russia...
yes... lots to gain i suppose..

posted on Mar, 2 2014 @ 09:42 AM
link   
reply to post by la2

wat did the US do to Cuba then???
same situation now

posted on Mar, 2 2014 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Can we please grow up enough to stop letting our governments act like two school yard bullies fighting? I am just so damn tired of these endless conflicts.

/sigh
edit on 2014/3/2 by Metallicus because: sp

posted on Mar, 2 2014 @ 11:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Metallicus

fully agree

not willing to spend 1 euro to take an bankrupt nation in the EU becouse some dept-owners want it....
the eldery care in holland is already halft douwn couse spending tax money to the crisis bailing out privat banks Greece and cyprus

posted on Mar, 2 2014 @ 07:12 PM
link   

Fortunately your current President has shown that he's not particularly concerned with getting involved with others' problems far from home - much like one of your best.

So you're probably safe .....unless you electanother nut-job warmonger in 2 years!

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 04:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Aloysius the Gaul

This president is just as willing to use military force as the last administration. The surge in Afghanistan, Libya, allegedly killed Bin Laden, drone strikes all over. The last administration did nothing when Russia invaded Georgia this administration is going to do some sort of sanctions against Russia and aid to Ukraine.

I still think Europe should be the principle backer of the Ukraine.

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Ah, the US most likely caused the issue in Ukraine.

SO yeah, it's not Europe's fault or problem for that matter, when the west meddles where it don't belong.

~Tenth

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 04:43 PM
link   

tothetenthpower

Ah, the US most likely caused the issue in Ukraine.

SO yeah, it's not Europe's fault or problem for that matter, when the west meddles where it don't belong.

~Tenth

Did the US choose the economic deal between the Ukraine and Russia?

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 04:50 PM
link   

I'd agree with you ... except back in the day, President Clinton, John Major and Boris Yeltsin along with the President (?) of Ukraine at the time signed a treaty that got the Ukraine to not only give up their nuclear deterrent but to also reduce their military in return for assurances of respect of sovereignty and mutual agreements to back them up if it were ever violated. This same agreement was re-iterated in 2009 by Barack Obama and Vladimir Putin.

It would seem that this treaty is now in question and could be called into play, and if we violate it, how do we look then?

I wish we'd left the Ukrainian ability to defend itself alone. How many of you think that Putin would be doing what he's doing if the Ukraine still had their nukes? And then would we be talking about this today?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join