It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should the US intervene in the Ukranian situation?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2014 @ 03:10 AM
link   
Yes
So we can get deeper into trouble to actually realize we are already in deep trouble.
edit on 2-3-2014 by NullVoid because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2014 @ 03:13 AM
link   

Nyiah
Normally, I'd scream & shout "HELL NO!" from the roof tops, but if we are bound by the Budapest Memorandum to come to Ukraine's defense, I see no other option but to do so if needed. To shirk a responsibility like that would be inspiration for others in similar situations to do the same, and would render it an utterly useless empty promise, along with any others that may come up.

If we can stay here & out of their war, that'd be great. But if the Budapest signed-on-the-dotted-line commitment includes to go so far as to put boots on the ground in their defense? Then nothing could be more spineless than skipping out on that promise.
edit on 3/1/2014 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

Quote of the day - "We are not about to send American boys 9 or 10 thousand miles away from home to do what Ukrainian boys ought to be doing for themselves...But we'll do it in secret and call them military advisors."

edit on AM7Sun20141972 by andy1972 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2014 @ 03:16 AM
link   

NullVoid
Yes
So we can get deeper into trouble to actually realize we are already in deep trouble.

Hell, sometimes you gotta reach the bottom before you start to rise.
Sometimes you gotta know when to keep your mouth shut and your hands by your sides...

posted on Mar, 2 2014 @ 03:19 AM
link   
Yes, but we won't. That will tell everyone we are not going to honor defense agreements, and NATO is going to be in chaos. Russia/Putin will start moving on former USSR nations and reintegrate them. If we weren't willing to do it, we should not have signed the treaty.

We are sort of in there...we've got observers in place gathering intel but that's it.

posted on Mar, 2 2014 @ 03:20 AM
link   
wasn't there a thread around here about the insane amount of money the US spent destabilizing the Ukraine?
shame to waste it
there's pipelines in them thar hills

posted on Mar, 2 2014 @ 03:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Danbones

My feeling is we gave Russia the go ahead to take it, even quietly helping them get it.
It kept us out of Syria.
I do not see us jumping in unless it gets a lot more complicated.

posted on Mar, 2 2014 @ 03:49 AM
link   

Danbones
wasn't there a thread around here about the insane amount of money the US spent destabilizing the Ukraine?
shame to waste it
there's pipelines in them thar hills

Ukraine edges towards cheaper gas with exxon chevron deals

The ukraine wants go to it alone in the energy business..

Ukraines plans for LNG imports face Turkish resistence.

Could energy companys be fueling the fires of war..
edit on AM7Sun20141972 by andy1972 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2014 @ 04:25 AM
link   
Obame vs. Putin is like Sheep vs. Wolf.

posted on Mar, 2 2014 @ 11:30 AM
link   

andy1972

NullVoid
Yes

Hell, sometimes you gotta reach the bottom before you start to rise.
Sometimes you gotta know when to keep your mouth shut and your hands by your sides...

Great! Nice to know somebody did realize something, now 300+ million more to go. Intervene or not, its already bloody, on intervention, more blood will be spilled.
But looks like intervention a bit late for the Purim sacrifice, have to satisfied with the Russian bloodbath only. Lets see if my 5 March prediction comes true.

posted on Mar, 2 2014 @ 01:26 PM
link   
This one is a bit tricky. I'd be inclined to let them annex Crimea, the primarily Russian population in the area has long wanted to be Russian again. The problem here is now if you let Putin annex the region you run the risk of repeating a policy of appeasement to an aggressive nation, and let's face it Putin's Russia is an aggressive nation. The US and Europe can't allow continuous appeasement again that cost is far too high.

Right now I have to say is do everything diplomatically and economically that we can, if those fail to deescalate the situation I don't see how we cannot get involved militarily. And what is playing out now is why we should not be engaging in the type of military adventurism that we were in the last decade. Putin knows that we are tired and war weary and is banking on that to have free reign. It is going to be hard, it is going to suck but we may ultimately be pushed into a position where we have no choice but to do it.

posted on Mar, 2 2014 @ 08:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Mamatus

No, Russia wants to take over that debt ridden country, go ahead.

<< 1  2   >>

join