It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pilot ejected from plane - pic

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2004 @ 12:17 PM
link   
From here www.wftv.com...

MOUNTAIN HOME, Idaho -- Seen in a photo released Friday, Jan. 30, 2004 by the U.S. Air Force, Capt. Christopher Stricklin ejects from the USAF Thunderbirds number six aircraft less than a second before it impacted the ground at an air show at Mountain Home Air Force Base, Idaho in September 2003. Stricklin, who was not injured, ejected after both guiding the jet away from the crowd of more than 60,000 people and ensuring he couldn't save the aircraft. This was only the second crash since the Air Force began using F-16 Falcons for its demonstration team in 1982. Nobody was injured in the crash. The Air Force blamed the incident on pilot error. The Thunderbirds are based at Nellis Air Force Base in Las Vegas. (02/04/04 AP photo)

posted on Mar, 1 2004 @ 12:35 PM
link   
How can they claim pilot error for the cause if they claim that he flew the plane away from onlookers and made sure he could not save the plane before ejecting. I admit that I know very little about planes but this just seems wrong.

posted on Mar, 2 2004 @ 06:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by BlackJackal
How can they claim pilot error for the cause if they claim that he flew the plane away from onlookers and made sure he could not save the plane before ejecting. I admit that I know very little about planes but this just seems wrong.

Too low, too slow = crash, regardless of where the aircraft is pointed.

posted on Mar, 2 2004 @ 06:36 AM
link   
Exactly - look at the exhaust trail behind it, plus the leading edge flaps look like they're full on. An old grandma with a walking stick could go faster.

I wonder if the pilot's now flying crop dusters?

posted on Mar, 4 2004 @ 01:21 PM
link   
Here's a link to the Air Force Times. They have a video of the incident.

Air Force Times - Thunderbirds Article

[Edited on 4-3-2004 by Lampyridae]

posted on Mar, 4 2004 @ 01:25 PM
link   
Nice pic. I saw it weeks ago when it was first released....the video as well.

posted on Mar, 4 2004 @ 06:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by COOL HAND

Originally posted by BlackJackal

Too low, too slow = crash, regardless of where the aircraft is pointed.

bingo

posted on Mar, 5 2004 @ 12:54 AM
link   
Heres a thread that has 2 videos. Cockpit cam vid is great.....www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Mar, 5 2004 @ 01:49 AM
link   
How original, sad part here being that ive seen this same post before, and it was posted before this.. and not by you..

posted on Mar, 5 2004 @ 03:27 AM
link   
Oh well, it's news to me. Haven't been following the news much.

posted on Mar, 5 2004 @ 03:31 AM
link   
Hr wasnt inured? good for him but but usually ppl end up injured badly or dead when or if they eject f4rom a plane at that height

posted on Mar, 5 2004 @ 06:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by drunk
Hr wasnt inured? good for him but but usually ppl end up injured badly or dead when or if they eject f4rom a plane at that height

Not anymore thanks to zero-zero ejection seats.

[Edited on 5/3/04 by COOL HAND]

posted on Mar, 5 2004 @ 07:51 AM
link   
ACES II

The ACES II seat is used in every aircraft in the USAF inventory (at least every one that Ive worked on)...with some differences.

There have been deaths and injuries with this seat, but the only ones that Ive heard of have been maintenance personell related.

posted on Mar, 6 2004 @ 07:29 PM
link   
I work *RIGHT* by Nellis AFB and watch these guys practice all the time from the warehouse doors... they do some interesting things up there! Not too mention all the other AFB air traffic flying right above me... its pretty busy up there some days...

new topics

top topics

join