It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Official BOINC news thread

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
xn

posted on Feb, 5 2004 @ 09:30 PM
link   
This thread will provide news updates regarding the BOINC Beta Test. This thread will remain open until BOINC releases (it'll be kinda funny if BOINC released tomorrow).

[edit on 9-21-2004 by xn]

posted on Feb, 6 2004 @ 03:32 AM
link   
Cheers xn!!

There's nothing like "being prepared"!! And, we can't move *yet* - I want my 5k certificate!!
)

xn

posted on Feb, 6 2004 @ 06:37 PM
link   
and I have to reach 5th place

posted on Feb, 6 2004 @ 07:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by xn
and I have to reach 5th place

You *cheeky* chap!!
Many congrats - go get Bob88!!

xn

posted on Feb, 6 2004 @ 07:13 PM
link   
I wonder what kind of computer (s) Bob88 uses. There's no way anyone will catch up to him.

posted on Feb, 6 2004 @ 09:57 PM
link   
Here is the thread for switching over. I don't think this invovles the Beta test. I think this is for when they are actually going to release the regular version of BOINC.

Moving SETI@HOME to BOINC

posted on Feb, 7 2004 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by xn
I wonder what kind of computer (s) Bob88 uses. There's no way anyone will catch up to him.

Whoa there xn!!

Keep you're eyes peeled on XSpectre8/ Spectre. Now that man is *flying* up the ranks!!

On a weekday, using his awesome set of kit, he's producing about 100WU's each day = 500 a week!! I reckon Bob88 is a achievable target myself!!

posted on Feb, 7 2004 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by TrickmastertricK
Here is the thread for switching over.Moving SETI@HOME to BOINC

Thanx TMT!!

Well, it's *going* to happen - should be good too. Anyone for Climate Prediction??

No, I think I want a crack at SEI Southern Hemisphere myself - our Galaxies centre is just so full of possibilities!!

posted on Feb, 7 2004 @ 04:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Genya

Originally posted by xn

Whoa there xn!!

Keep you're eyes peeled on XSpectre8/ Spectre. Now that man is *flying* up the ranks!!

On a weekday, using his awesome set of kit, he's producing about 100WU's each day = 500 a week!! I reckon Bob88 is a achievable target myself!!

Now that I have found the 1200 watt space heater that I had sharing my electrical circuit, causing it to trip, I have added eighteen 2.0GHz PCs running 2 workunits simultaneously on each machine. My goal was to reach 10k units before the big switch. I'm not optimistic that I'll make it and I'm not sure how the BOINC client will work in my environment. The current command-line is so easy to move around between machines.

Any word on how portable the BOINC verison will be? I'd miss not being able to zip up a SETI folder and unzip it onto a new platform.

posted on Feb, 7 2004 @ 04:19 PM
link   
Hi Spectre!!

Pleased you found your space heater on the circuit - I was worried your machines we're responsible for all the power outages recently!!

I'm afraid I know *nothing* about BOINC - xn is our "resident" expert, as he's used the beta version and might be able to swap info with you.

10k cert? Well, I noticed you storm past the 5k without stopping for breath - that's my target, which should be achieveable in around 60 days time... If we have that long, of course?!!

Go on, get to number one position!! I'm chasing Sinchron (slowly) but gaining on him for sure!!

xn

posted on Feb, 7 2004 @ 05:18 PM
link   
News: BOINC v2.25 released for win32. This version works with HTTP proxies again and it also fixes a crash after a scheduler RPC.

xn

posted on Feb, 7 2004 @ 05:21 PM
link   
More fixes in v2.25 include: Requesting more work when #results in progress is less than #CPUs (avoid idle CPUs on multiprocessors), and changed default min/max work buffers from (1,3) to (.1, 1). All Windows users: please upgrade as soon as you can.

xn

posted on Feb, 8 2004 @ 09:30 PM
link   
Recent intel gathered suggests that BOINC may release around the same time seti@home I released, which means around May 17. May 17, 1999 Seti@home officially launched. (I signed up 3 days later). I think Genya will get 5000 workunits done by then. Bob88 hasn't sent a workunit back in a few days, so I think someone may move him down to #2.
I'm still planning to get to #5 by then

posted on Feb, 9 2004 @ 05:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by xn
Recent intel gathered suggests that BOINC may release around the same time seti@home I released, which means around May 17. May 17, 1999 Seti@home officially launched. (I signed up 3 days later). I think Genya will get 5000 workunits done by then. Bob88 hasn't sent a workunit back in a few days, so I think someone may move him down to #2.

May, hmmm? Maybe my long-term goal of 10,000 work units is not a unreachable as I thought.

XN: I would love to play around with the BOINC version and see how easy it will be to set up in my LAN. Is that Beta version frrely downloadable? If so do you have a URL?

posted on Feb, 9 2004 @ 05:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Spectre
May, hmmm? Maybe my long-term goal of 10,000 work units is not a unreachable as I thought.

XN: I would love to play around with the BOINC version and see how easy it will be to set up in my LAN. Is that Beta version frrely downloadable? If so do you have a URL?

boinc.berkeley.edu...

posted on Feb, 9 2004 @ 05:53 AM
link   
Thanks, TrickmastertricK, for the link. Now when I get some free time at the office I'll see what kind of damage I can do.

posted on Feb, 9 2004 @ 05:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by xn
... I think Genya will get 5000 workunits done by then. Bob88 hasn't sent a workunit back in a few days, so I think someone may move him down to #2.

Thanx xn!! Well, I think I should be there in around 58-60 days, depending on how things work out!!

I'm sure Spectre will be pushing hard for "Top Place" - and *you'll* secure a BIG 5th place xn!!

The teams *really* motoring at present - SETI@work shows us in 1161 place, 58 places higher up the team lists!!

Go team!!

xn

posted on Feb, 9 2004 @ 09:21 PM
link   
Let's see... by May 17, I should have about 3715 workunits done, assuming May 17 BOINC releases (around the version 3.0 probably). However, BOINC won't replace the current Seti@home at the start, the servers will still be up until BOINC is stable enough, then the servers will shutdown. I can't imagine the day that I'll have to uninstall Seti@home. I figured out that it might be possible to make it to 4000 workunits by then, but I'm going to make 5000 a goal
As always I'm monitoring BOINC closely so I could gather info about it and try to estimate the release of it.

xn

posted on Feb, 11 2004 @ 09:57 PM
link   
Today, the Seti app for Windows version 2.24 released. Fixes include are a result overflow detection (overflow results no longer get returned as an error and code to prevent assert failures in pulse reporting.

xn

posted on Feb, 12 2004 @ 04:22 AM
link   
I won't even declare who the #1 person will be in the group. The almost impossible happened.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join