It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

does the universe have boundries???

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2004 @ 04:38 AM
link   
i was just sittin here thinking every thing has a beggining and an end even circles....so does the universe just stop somewhere...what do u think??

posted on Jan, 18 2004 @ 04:46 AM
link   
I don't think so. as newton said... energy cannot be created nor destroyed, therefore energy must have always been there. this leads me to believe the Universe is Infinite. And most humans cannot comprehend the thought of something not having a beginning or end.

posted on Jan, 18 2004 @ 05:02 AM
link   
Short answer: no.
Long answer: hell no.
Really long answer: The only reason people say the universe has an ending and that the big bang happened is that humans are born therefore we try to humanise the whole situation by saying that the universe was "born" and that it has boundries because we are contained in skin and the planet has an atmosphere. They say this so that the universe doesn't seem so comlpex.....just think about the universe not having boundries...it is infinite..now that messes with ya head! It is human nature to simplify things.

posted on Jan, 18 2004 @ 05:14 AM
link   
www.ph1.uni-koeln.de...

www.ph1.uni-koeln.de...

arxiv.org...

So you always get back to where you started if you fly just straight.

posted on Jan, 18 2004 @ 05:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nemesite
Really long answer: The only reason people say the universe has an ending and that the big bang happened is that humans are born therefore we try to humanise the whole situation by saying that the universe was "born" and that it has boundries because we are contained in skin and the planet has an atmosphere.

Are you saying that you think there was no big bang?

posted on Jan, 18 2004 @ 07:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nemesite
Short answer: no.
Long answer: hell no.

I think he asked for something specific like theories. So your view of the universe doesn't really matter
- the non-scientific one

about your long answer: I can't remember people who say the universum has an ending. I just remember many people saying it has no end at all. So I need to strongly disagree with your theory about people like to make things easier than they are.

Especially here on ATS things are made complex
- so a handful of terrorists become CIA/Mossad/Falcon initiated objects etc.
It is the very nature of mankind to think complex about unknown(not known) things.

But this is something that is basically everybodys own opinion

[Edited on 18-1-2004 by shoo]

posted on Jan, 18 2004 @ 07:45 AM
link   
i'd say the universe does not have a boundary, no end, no start or finish.

i dont even believe that the big bang itself was the beginning, maybe of what we know to be the universe presently but i think something existed before that.

they once said the universe was slowing down (from the big bang explosion) later they said it was actually speeding up! they're just theories as there is evidence that can prove and disprove (its just kinda ambiguous, depends how you want to look at it) whatever theory you want to believe in/not believe in.

i can imagine the universe having no end, its boggling to me since i live in a world of borders and boundaries (man made i might add). i can also imagine just how small we really are. we like to think we're so wonderful and powerful but we are not even big enough to be called a speck compared to the universe, the known universe. and if the universe has no end then what we know is...not even a speck itself. it makes you feel incredibly tiny.

we (the planet) are an atom and the known universe is say....the size of our solar system. to put things into perspective. its frigging huge. there are millions of miles between planets in our own solar system let alone the distance between solar systems. then those solar systems form clusters and those clusters are even further apart from eachother. you couldnt get from one cluster to another in 50 generations, thats how far apart they are. and they arent getting any closer.

but imagine this. what if we are living in say....an atom?

what i mean by this is what if we have it wrong and our universe is incredibly small? that something else is out there that is larger than our universe but we just havent been able to see it? after all we cant see the entire universe so its possible that there is something else out there. provided there is an end to the universe of course.

makes you feel even tinier!

posted on Jan, 18 2004 @ 08:36 AM
link   

but imagine this. what if we are living in say....an atom?
what i mean by this is what if we have it wrong and our universe is incredibly small? that something else is out there that is larger than our universe but we just havent been able to see it? after all we cant see the entire universe so its possible that there is something else out there. provided there is an end to the universe of course.

this is what i tried to bring up in another post...

also if our universe is the fabric of a larger universe then the entire duration of our universe's existence (13.7 billion years old - is that the current thinking?) could be a nats fart in a larger universe's time? this also gets me thinking about other life in a our universe...perhaps other civilisations in our universe could be popping up and expiring hundreds of thousands of times in a millisecond measured from a larger universe's timeframe but because our universe's lifetime seems so immense to us then we really might be the only life in the universe at our given instance in our universe's lifetime (yes, long sentence, sorry). having said that i dont believe we are the only life at his instance but that idea helps to visualise what i'm saying.

posted on Jan, 18 2004 @ 09:26 AM
link   
Im going to have to agree with some of you, and disagree with others.

For those of you who said that humans tend to simplify things, you are right. Those of you who didn't, are wrong. We may never know whether the universe is truly infinite or not. It may have no consequence, or it may have significant consequence.

Think of it this way...all of you "it must be infinite thinkers". If the universe is infinite, then anything in it must be infinitely small as a comparison. That makes us ZERO. We have no size nor shape, because in infinity that is impossible. Goes the other way. If it is not infinite, then what is outside of it? Who knows, maybe infinite nothing. Which again, makes us ZERO. Now this logic may be wrong in many ways. There is just no way to prove that it is wrong, nor is there a way to prove the universe to be infinite or finite wrong.

As far as evidence that people simplifying things. Subjects like politics are a great example. Most people in this country will respond to political questions with "I don't care", or "I don't want to think about it". They do this because the subject is difficult and they are lazy. There are many more examples of this if you look enough.

posted on Jan, 18 2004 @ 09:40 AM
link   
Here's something posted a while ago:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Scientists here believed that the Universe was shaped almost like a football, and that if you ever came to the edge of it and went through...you'd just pop back out of the opposite side.

Strange thought eh?

posted on Jan, 18 2004 @ 10:06 AM
link   
Infinite, the very act of getting to a "boundary" will make it no longer exist as such. In a way space exists because of the way we peceive the dimensions we exist in, we exist because of the dimensions we peceive.

Change to a dimension that is flat and you yourself could be infinitly wide or narrow depending on your point of view.

Quantum theory seems to point in a direction that says the very act of existance changes the nature of percieved universe - I'm guessing a particle from a dimension we can't naturally sense is affected in such a way by our presence that we then can sense it - therefore it exists.

I picture us as an eddy in a sea of continuance where we may discover what we perceive to be a begining but is not due to our dimensional limitations, the search for an end is futile in our current state. Even if we could find a way to percieve other dimensions it just opens up more infinite possibilities.

In the end no matter how we shape it, bend it, or manipulate things such as time or matter ...........The universe must exist for us and in spite of us.

posted on Jan, 18 2004 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by John Nada
Here's something posted a while ago:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Scientists here believed that the Universe was shaped almost like a football, and that if you ever came to the edge of it and went through...you'd just pop back out of the opposite side.

Strange thought eh?

That's what I already said

btw. at one poster above: you just showed with your reply that you we don't tend to simplify things, why else your long reply on this topic?

posted on Jan, 18 2004 @ 02:27 PM
link   
Does the universe have boundaries?

The real answer is NOBODY(exept God) knows!

Out,
Russian

posted on Jan, 18 2004 @ 03:02 PM
link   
Sure the universe ends.
First find the center and then start heading in every direction. Eventually things would start to thin out. Space i dont think is considered universe,planets and stars and things are. So as objects begin to get further apart you are getting closer to the end of the universe.
I just thought of something. As you pass the last object and enter just space youve reached the end of the universe,but you have to keep moving faster than the rate of expansion or the universe will catch up to you.

posted on Jan, 18 2004 @ 03:13 PM
link   
We will never find the end of the universe... therefore we will never know... but i feel it is infinate beacause if it has boundaries what is beyond the universes boundaries... nothing... well what is nothing... there has to be something... even the emptiness of space has particles and radiation and what not... so the universe must have no end... my brain is moving at a speed i can keep up with now and if i keep typing i'm going to confuse myself

posted on Jan, 18 2004 @ 03:24 PM
link   
Yes but as the particles thin and the radiation dissapates you are getting nearer the end of the universe.

posted on Jan, 18 2004 @ 04:25 PM
link   
Those picutres of that ball with fat surfaces, etc is there only because scientists dont know whats beyond. They think it will be like that because the universe is so huge that you cant see beyond certain points and it's exactly like a mirror effect of seeing right back.

posted on Jan, 18 2004 @ 04:32 PM
link   
God is the Alpha & the Omega, the beginning and the end, thru quantam physics we now know that the universe is finite, even God says there is a beginning and ending to everything.

posted on Jan, 18 2004 @ 05:05 PM
link   
There was a beginning. That is proven. At least, as our terms put it a beginning, but whether anything existed before it, in a past universe really doesn't matter a tick, because it has zero effect on our current universe, so any theories regarding it are seen as bunk and pointless. If there was a beginning, with an explosion, then there was light. That light was from that instant and is at present and will always be farther than anything else from the initial center. This comprises a boundary. It is a boundary we will never, ever cross, unless we develop superluminal travel methods, but by that time we might know more about the subject, and might especially know that passing the light could be a bad idea.

To the guy who said we cannot be in infinite space:

Zero is such a complicated term. Infinity is an equally, if not infinitely more complicated term. Infinity multiplied by anything is infinity. Zero multiplied by anything is zero. Zero multiplied by Infinity is technically zero, vexause infinitybis a number, and if you have zero infinites you have zero. But then, an infinity of zeros could be more than we think, it could be an infinity, because after all, we don't really have the bounds to think on that one.

As a sidenote, pause to think on measurements. We define our measurements initially from whatever seems a sensible and useful length to know, then to whatever length will make measurement for ownership or learning easier, which means that measurement and its scale all lies in the eye of the beholder. As we behold it, were there a universe outside of ours, and, obviously, a whole slew of them inside ours, then a planck length in the next universe up compared to a parsec here would be ..oh, enough difference that no one would ever be able to tell the parsec existed in the universe above, and obviously, we would never be able to tell the planck in our universe below. We couldn't say a googolplex raised to a googolplex a googolplex times of parecs wouldn't add up to the upper planck. The same with negative raisings of plancks wouldn't ever come down to our parsec. They are different enough that you could multiply the parsec by infinity and not have it match their planck. It is all relative, and our lengths as compared to them are literally zero. In this way, there could easily be infinite space outside of the bounds of light, the boundaries of the universe, without every measurement we have sinking to zero for us, it just sinks to zero for anyone that infinite means something other than boundless to.

posted on Jan, 18 2004 @ 05:29 PM
link   
To knightmare,
Maybe im finally starting to believe in the dual universe theory.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join