It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Do people feel its ok to name call as a form of truth finding?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 11 2007 @ 10:40 AM
link   
Many examples thruout this board I can find a great deal of people resulting to name calling on a subject rather then import some knowledge or understanding apon the manner, They feel its more justified to call someone "ignorant" or " a Fool" rather then to explain why they have come to such understandings.

Not just these words have been said, many others have and will continue due to the lack of understand they have apon personal respect ( that should be used during any conversation with another being ) Such uses of these tactics ( if they are ) are very provoking on the "insulted" members side and reciprocation is often wanted to be returned just for the sly remark.

I just dont understand that if your on a forum looking for information and debating ( a form of argumenting with intelegent design ) topics that you need to feel obligated to make one liner remarks of a degrading fashion, Yes this is a opinon, but its a insulting opinon that most parents instill in their children to NOT do, ( such as " if you haven't anything nice, dont say it at all ") Very simple motto at least my mother taught me and grandparents.

Now I understand there are some younger members but for the most part they are at equal intelegence as other "older" members are. I just find it incredibly annoying to open up a thread an read it just to see a hand full of people resorting to such low-level statements, One liners in the way of a comment or intelegent debate on a thread is one thing, but just to say something disagreeable and follow it up with a one lined remark of insulting nature to justify or futher your base remark is very "ignorant" to begin with as you dont seem to know all the information that is being talked about and you seem to just put something down due to a small portion of the thread you did bother to read, member there are Links of sources, and Links to other valued information to further your debate or understanding on the manner.

I just felt very fed up with the lack of maturity that is found inside some of these threads, and it really has gotten to be problem it seems, as these people dont care to comment on information rather then get under someone's skin.

thank you

/rant off

[edit on 11-7-2007 by Tranceopticalinclined]

posted on Jul, 11 2007 @ 11:00 AM
link   
i agree with you
name calling is a pain in the right side , admited i have done so in a few topics
so i cant say im a saint when it comes to this.

but thankfully i have stopped from doing that unless its in RANT

posted on Jul, 11 2007 @ 11:31 AM
link   
Yup, there are some that this is a problem with. Thus the need for the Complaints button. If you encounter someone like this don't sink to their level, 2 wrongs don't make a right, file a Complaint.

posted on Jul, 11 2007 @ 11:40 AM
link   
You must have missed the big sign out front...

"Don't Feed The Trolls"

When you are faced with that situation you can always walk away, or judicious use of he ignore button also helps.

And the "Alert" button is on each post there for a good reason, instances like those that you mention - to name a few

posted on Jul, 11 2007 @ 11:46 AM
link   
I normaly Alert when I come accross such things, as well follow it up with a very Informative response on the matter and meanings of the words used and topic matter that was in questions further explained thru my opinon, No name calling, just simple and pure answers on the questioned / statement that made them angry in the 1st place an If i can throw up some words of wit that my mom told me as a youngin, to respect all humankind even when respect is lacking there of.

but that alert button is always triggered. Trolls guarding the bridge of stupid.

heh

posted on Jul, 11 2007 @ 12:00 PM
link   
I am guilty of sinking to their level at times. Mia culpa. There are times that one of these pod people will get under your skin, and regretfully you'll spout out an answer and hit the send before cooling down enough to realize that it wasn't worth the effort.

But on the whole, I find that most people here are really interested in knowing more, not just being a "know it all". For every troll that has signed in just to call names and spew garbage, I have found a hundred people I can respect.

I'll take that kind of trade-off any day of the week.

And I credit this to our mods and Admin. Though before any heads get too swollen here, I'll add that some of you are almost as bad when you get that Drill Sargent attitude. But if I had to put up with your headaches, I would likely turn into a fulltime drunk.

posted on Jul, 11 2007 @ 12:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by NGC2736
But if I had to put up with your headaches, I would likely turn into a fulltime drunk.

I thought that that was a prerequisite for the job.

posted on Jul, 11 2007 @ 03:17 PM
link   
I can't attribute this to the original author, but someone once said, "He who throws the first punch is the real loser". So it goes in the mystifying world of slinging bad names and such.

I would rather see a thread just discontinue than devolve to mud slinging and such, such as has happened to me enough times on threads that I am thinking of changing my forum name from sigung86 to Thread Killer Extraordinaire... Or some such.

posted on Jul, 11 2007 @ 03:25 PM
link   
All I can say is "sticks and stones" brother. It don't mean a thang.

Peace

[edit on 11-7-2007 by Dr Love]

posted on Jul, 11 2007 @ 03:29 PM
link   
I personally don't see the need for name calling. It's one thing to generalize and say "people are dumb," or whatever. However, when you start directing your comments to a specific person, I think that is overstepping boundaries, and I look for the moderators to start banning more and more people for stuff like that.

posted on Jul, 11 2007 @ 03:52 PM
link   
I agree with you totally Tranc,

Please read my signature.

posted on Jul, 15 2007 @ 12:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpeakerofTruth
However, when you start directing your comments to a specific person, I think that is overstepping boundaries, and I look for the moderators to start banning more and more people for stuff like that.

Well, when the moderators are the ones guilty, then what can you do? File a complaint. And when the complaint is ignored, what can you do? Suck it up, and accept it for what it is.

posted on Jul, 15 2007 @ 12:20 PM
link   
Yeah, people who do that are a bunch of [insert dyslogism here].

posted on Jul, 15 2007 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky
Well, when the moderators are the ones guilty, then what can you do? File a complaint. And when the complaint is ignored, what can you do? Suck it up, and accept it for what it is.

Sounds like a stab at the ATS staff, I can assure you all complaints directed not at members, but at staff, are reviewed.

It is not a requirement on our part to publicly or personally (to the complainer) divulge the outcome of such a review. The decision to announce the outcome of such complaints is at our discretion.

Do not take silence as ignorance.

posted on Jul, 15 2007 @ 04:23 PM
link   
I know name calling and personal insults can be a pain in the butt, but take it from somebody that has been there and back in all the time I have been in this boards.

Always be more intelligent that the person using name calling.

Ignore, Ignore and Ignore.

It works.

posted on Jul, 15 2007 @ 04:44 PM
link   
I have been under terrible attack at times on another forum, and I am going to be honest it hurt, and when i opened my heart to the situation they got meaner, go figure?

I didn't have one troll but many,mostly over global warming of all things good grief.

posted on Jul, 15 2007 @ 05:47 PM
link   
I hope people do not believe that name-calling is acceptable or goes unnoticed by staff if there is no obvious intervention in post threads.

We have always made it clear that we do not condone thread hijacking. When a member of staff comes into a thread and publicly defends a member against name-calling it does derail it, albeit hopefully temporarily.

Public off-topic commentary is not something we like to do, and only do so on when we feel it necessary.

However, let me please assure people that while they may not see any discernable response from staff, it definitely does occur behind-the-scenes.

posted on Jul, 16 2007 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by SimonGray
Sounds like a stab at the ATS staff, I can assure you all complaints directed not at members, but at staff, are reviewed.

Well it was directed against one particular mod who entered a thread that I authored and proceeded to insult me, label me and label groups that he associated me with, accuse me of plagiarism, and then warn the ATS community to be aware of my tactics in the future. All totally uncalled for, since the discussion, while lively, was moving along OK beforehand.

After the initital surprise came the sense of indignation that I should be so labeled by someone who doesn't know me at all.

It was not representative of the staff at all; that's why it seemed to be so personally directed at me.

Anyway, I probably shouldn't have even mentioned it, since, as you said, these things are handled even though we are not made aware of what goes on behind the scene. And that's fine.

posted on Jul, 16 2007 @ 02:00 PM
link   
I have a hard time believing that JSO, seeing as how you're one of the most kind, gentle, and beloved members here at ATS!

Peace

posted on Jul, 16 2007 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Its never ok to call people names for the sake of the truth. I am just as guilty as the next. I become frustrated at times when I can't get my point across to someone either because their worldview won't allow it, the evidence isn't 'credible' enough in their minds, or just plain ignorance.

Sometimes when I try to deny ignorance I merely reinforce it. I am part of the blame and I take responsibility for whatever I have done.

The mods and admins here have done some great work. I have no problem with them. They keep the peace. Some members join just to start trouble so it only makes sense that their visit is short-lived.

Share your opinion, but don't insult others. Doesn't sound too hard to follow eh

That goes for me too.

<<   2 >>

join