It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Do people feel its ok to name call as a form of truth finding?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 17 2007 @ 02:42 PM
link   
The problem though, if I may add, is not only the person who is doing the insulting but also the "victim" of the insult who actually takes the insult seriously. If someone calls me a moron but I dont feel that I am a moron, I wont be hurt by it. An insult then makes the insulter look bad, not the person insulted. Anywhere you go there will always be people bad-mouthing someone. The key is, as already mentioned, not to feed the troll by taking it seriously, taking it emotionally or responding to it at all. By responding to it with bad feelings I fall into the same trap as the insulter.

So if someone calls me a moron and I am hurt by it it probably means that in that instance I was a moron. If I am not touched by it, it means that he is the moron.

posted on Jul, 17 2007 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by NGC2736There are times that one of these pod people will get under your skin,

Yup been there done that getting better though
Pod People I like that

Many many moons a go... in a Country not so far away...

I watched a debate on TV hosted by Pierre Burton. The debate was between Eric von Däniken and an eminent archaeologist (forget the name). This was shortly after he wrote "Chariot of the Gods"

He presented his case.. calmly and with his interpretation of the evidence, maintaining throughout that this was his opinion and you had to make up your own mind. The archaeologist presented her opinions...

Then when it got to the debate, every time Eric would ask her for a direct explanation on an item, she could offer none and resorted to attacking first his credibility and final the name calling.

Now at the end the host Pierre openly stated that he did not believe von Däniken's theories, but he declared him hands down winner of the debate because he maintained his decorum throughout the debate.

This has stuck with me since that day so many years ago, and now I see the same tactics used here, some by those who do not know better, but also by those supposedly learned...

Let them rant... push the ignore button and/or the alert on the first kind.... the second kind more often than not help your cause

posted on Jul, 17 2007 @ 03:40 PM
link   
Although Dänikens popularity waned in the U.S. after fierce attacks by the press, he maintained his popularity here in Europe where I live. Up to this day he still writes books, appears on TV shows, hosts conventions, etc. And the guy indeed has the ability to argue his case in an always calm, honest and convincing way. For that he was one of my heroes when I was a teenager.

posted on Jul, 17 2007 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skyfloating
Although Dänikens popularity waned in the U.S. after fierce attacks by the press,

LOL Now there is a point I never considered... "fierce attacks" in America...

I wonder if anyone has done a study on the name calling posters to see if its an American phenomena

Eric also has a theme park based on his ideas... all I can say is that's called sticking to what you believe in, despite the efforts of Trolls

posted on Jul, 17 2007 @ 04:13 PM
link   
no, that wasnt meant to say that its an american phenomenon:-)

anyway, I visited Dänikens Themepark in Switzerland before it went out of business and closed down. Sadly there was parking space for about 200 people and only half a dozen cars parked. Inside there were three times as many employees as visitors. I had most of the place to myself. It was relatively well done, millions invested, but nobody seemed to care.

posted on Aug, 8 2007 @ 07:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky

Originally posted by SimonGray
Sounds like a stab at the ATS staff, I can assure you all complaints directed not at members, but at staff, are reviewed.

Well it was directed against one particular mod who entered a thread that I authored and proceeded to insult me, label me and label groups that he associated me with, accuse me of plagiarism, and then warn the ATS community to be aware of my tactics in the future. All totally uncalled for, since the discussion, while lively, was moving along OK beforehand.

After the initital surprise came the sense of indignation that I should be so labeled by someone who doesn't know me at all.

It was not representative of the staff at all; that's why it seemed to be so personally directed at me.

Anyway, I probably shouldn't have even mentioned it, since, as you said, these things are handled even though we are not made aware of what goes on behind the scene. And that's fine.

Same thing happened to me. A moderator simply did not like my sig and claimed I was a plagiarist. There was nothing remotedly offensive in my post and my original signiture was just a generalized blandish one. I was like, huh? I just figured it was a child moderator and moved on, no biggie.

posted on Aug, 8 2007 @ 07:44 PM
link   
What's In A Name-Call?

Name-calling is a confession on the part of the person doing it that he or she is unwilling or unable to discuss a topic intelligently.

It's a sign of fear, anger and ignorance.

Nobody's perfect, and we all have our Maalox moments, but anyone who makes a habit of using insults in their arguments is not suitable for continued membership in our community.

Moderation In All Things, Including Moderation

As for moderators doing what they should not, it definitely happens.

Throughout ATS history there are various examples of the drama that results when mods act inappropriately.

Mods aren't perfect. We know that. Mods will screw up now and then, usually accidentally, but sometimes deliberately.

We can't prevent mods from misbehaving before the fact. All we can do is take corrective action after it occurs with an eye toward preventing further misconduct.

If you see a moderator violating the AboveTopSecret.com Terms And Conditions Of Use, as with any member, please let us know.

As Simon pointed out, what we do about it may not be obvious, but I can assure you that the staff does not take kindly to anyone abusing a position of trust and hurting our community.

posted on Aug, 9 2007 @ 01:06 AM
link   
Yeah I had somebody start with the name calling recently. Called me a drug addict, candidate for rehab, untrustworthy, etc. That post is still up, after two alerts.

posted on Aug, 9 2007 @ 03:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Stormdancer777
I have been under terrible attack at times on another forum, and I am going to be honest it hurt, and when i opened my heart to the situation they got meaner, go figure?

I didn't have one troll but many,mostly over global warming of all things good grief.

People do what they can get away with. It is human nature.
Imagine, if you will, them saying that to your face, with you standing there.
Then, as they fly backwards after you punched them in the face, just smile.
Ahem. But that's just me.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join