It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Indonesia Terror Threat Serious, Says Australian PM

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2007 @ 09:54 PM
link   

Indonesia Terror Threat Serious, Says Australian PM

www.abcmoney.co.uk

Australian Prime Minister John Howard said Monday the threat of a terrorist attack in Indonesia was serious and justified an upgraded travel warning.

The foreign affairs department on Sunday warned Australians to stay away from Indonesia because of fears that an attack could be imminent.

Howard said travel advisories were only issued on strong intelligence.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.news.com.au
www.stuff.co.nz

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Morocco Raises Security Alert to Maximum

posted on Jul, 8 2007 @ 09:54 PM
link   
Seems like a worldwide increase in 'terror' activity.
Maybe this increase of activity is a coordinated
attempt to bog down our intelligence agencies?

There's a clock somewhere, ticking down..
Everyone be careful out there, especially you Kiwis.
Any thoughts, comments?

www.abcmoney.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 8 2007 @ 09:56 PM
link   
I'd say that Indonesia *is* dangerous for all those from countries in the coalition of the willing, but not any more dangerous than it usually is.

posted on Jul, 8 2007 @ 10:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by aecreate
Everyone be careful out there, especially you Kiwis.

What is threatening New Zealand? I've always thought that they were even safer than Canada when it came to anti-Westernism.

posted on Jul, 8 2007 @ 10:10 PM
link   
Looks like the war on terror is getting worse by the day, thanks to one person who shall remain nameless.......

Great strategic leader, i must say. The best.

posted on Jul, 8 2007 @ 10:12 PM
link   
Sorry it's late.
One of the links above mentions Kiwis
travelling to Indonesia, and I guess
I should have said Aussies and Kiwis.

Actually, everyone, just avoid Indonesia.

posted on Jul, 8 2007 @ 10:13 PM
link   
It is a good time to keep the propaganda machine churning...

Uk has a new PM, Oz and Uncle Sam have elections on the horizon.

posted on Jul, 8 2007 @ 10:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by resistancia
It is a good time to keep the propaganda machine churning...

I'd rather hear warnings like this than no warnings at all.
Say something were to happen, and they didn't issue this
travel warning, everyone would be up in arms, correct?

Better safe than sorry?

posted on Jul, 8 2007 @ 10:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe
Looks like the war on terror is getting worse by the day, thanks to one person who shall remain nameless.......

Great strategic leader, i must say. The best.

he helped it yes,but there is no doubt that these terrorists are out there and they do want to kill and will give their life do do this..

but ur right good ol dubya certainly didnt help..bastard

posted on Jul, 8 2007 @ 11:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by subz
What is threatening New Zealand? I've always thought that they were even safer than Canada when it came to anti-Westernism.

Speaking in general terms and Bali doesn't reflect this to well both Australians and Kiwis travel overseas to the same tourist destinations. A higher percentage of Australians, Poms and Kiwis e.t.c travel and often work work overseas for an period of time and this is reflected in there outlook of the world.

posted on Jul, 9 2007 @ 06:37 AM
link   
Here's a bit of an update:

Howard defends Indonesia terror warning

Australian Prime Minister John Howard today defended his government’s warnings that a terrorist attack in Indonesia may be imminent, despite officials saying there was no direct intelligence a strike was being planned.
Mr Howard called the new advisory an upgrade, and said it was based on strong intelligence that an attack by South-east Asian terrorist network Jemaah Islamiyah was possible.

Officials are claiming there is no direct
intelligence a strike is being planned but
PM Howard issued a new advisory based
on strong intelligence.. ??

What's going on here?

posted on Jul, 9 2007 @ 07:11 AM
link   
ITS A CONSPIRACY THATS WHAT!!!!!

lol ;-P

Anyways. This has been happening out of the blue all the time in australia.

I think even before 2001 (but maybe not, 2001 was a long time ago).

Yeah yeah these out fo the blue terror alert suggestion of dont go here, something sus is going on and there could be terrorism at play, has been happening for a while. And by all means, i'd take there advise seriously, but not to seriously.

The federal police have ties around the region, and in other countires, and cooperation with them countries. Hell Australian Federal Police dobbed in the Bali Nine and were tracking them in a different country....

It's all cooperation.

Tehy are privy to things te average joe dont know and information gets passed to howards advisors, they pass the message on to good ol' Johny Howard and he lets the nation kow of the risk and perhaps change travel arrangements.

Sounds like a good deal to me.

To be quite honest. I'd like to know WHO these officials are??? Sounds like a news source trying to create a story where no story exists...

posted on Jul, 9 2007 @ 09:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Project_Silo
he helped it yes,but there is no doubt that these terrorists are out there and they do want to kill and will give their life do do this..

The best question to ask is why do these people want to kill us? It's definitely not because of our freedoms. I think the answer is self evident.

posted on Jul, 9 2007 @ 11:55 AM
link   
Austalia is saying a lot lately, in the public arena

just the other day thay issued a statement that the recent China military modernization could be a cause for worry/pressure in the region

and now this announcement about expected terrorism in Indonesian vacation spots

Not withstanding the 5 July message to Muslims by the #2 man of A-Q
al-Zawahiri...wher he instructs/directs all Muslims all over the world to attack Western interests EveryWhere with increased vigor !!

I have suspicions that NATO, SEATO ?, U.S. or other treaties are involved with the Australian govt's highpofile statements of late....
perhaps a a lightning rod?
or maybe to distract the adversaries from doing operations in Pakistan or India...so they don't boil over so soon...or it looks as if the WOT community is itself distracted???
its all guess work

posted on Jul, 9 2007 @ 03:20 PM
link   
Indonesia appears to be downplaying this:

Indonesia irked at fresh travel warning

INDONESIA has expressed concern about Australia's decision to revise travel warnings for tourists, insisting the nation remains calm.

A spokesman said Indonesia's national police had no plans to review its assessment despite the Australian Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade alert that terrorist attacks in the island nation could be imminent.

I might have to agree with DaRAGE, sounds like some
officials are possibly trying to make a story, or distraction.
It could be legit, but I suppose only time will tell.

posted on Jul, 10 2007 @ 03:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by subz

Originally posted by Project_Silo

The best question to ask is why do these people want to kill us? It's definitely not because of our freedoms. I think the answer is self evident.

Idk man they want to enforce Sharia law,this pretty much takes away all the fredoms we have.

The reason they want to enforce this is they believe every man must study the koran,and if not they should be killed,theres another ATS post here somewhere that had about 7 qoutes in the koran that specifically says to kill them if they do not convert.

Link to shria law through bbc.google shiria law and im sure you can find alot more on it if need be.

www.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Jul, 10 2007 @ 05:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by aecreate
Indonesia appears to be downplaying this:

I might have to agree with DaRAGE, sounds like some
officials are possibly trying to make a story, or distraction.
It could be legit, but I suppose only time will tell.

Of course i'm right ;-P

by the Way, Indonesia ALWAYS downplays the travel warnings given. So do any other island nation we give travel warnings about. Our tourism plays a part (a major part in some country's) in thier economy...

Alos i just saw on TV tonight it is about the mariet Hotel in Jakarta in particular, and it concerns the asia cup (soccer). Our Federal police are apparently contacting contact in thailand who have a good connnection with Jakarta/indonesia about the warning and information, etc.

posted on Jul, 10 2007 @ 05:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by resistancia
Uk has a new PM, Oz and Uncle Sam have elections on the horizon.

yes and things are definitely heating up over here. Today I heard on the news Rudd (Opposition Leader) criticising Howard and Downer's stance with regard to Iraq. It is definitely a big election issue. I wonder why Howard and Downer don't want a debate on the issue?

Opposition Leader Kevin Rudd earlier called on Mr Howard to begin a public debate on the staged withdrawal of Australian troops.

He said the presence of Australian combat forces in the Middle East was making the country a target for terrorists and the Government should be willing to discuss a negotiated exit strategy from Iraq.

"In the United States, we see the Republican Party already debating a staged withdrawal of US forces from Iraq," he said.

"But in Australia, Mr Howard and Mr Downer and Mr Nelson are refusing to have that debate or announce their plans."

The latest Newspoll shows 63 per cent of people want a timetable for pulling Australian troops out of Iraq.

Greens leader Bob Brown said the poll showed the Government was defying public opinion by not preparing to withdraw soldiers.

"John Howard now doesn't have the support of the Australian people, if he ever did have, and it's increasingly apparent that this opposition to Australian troops remaining in Iraq is going to grow," Senator Brown said.

News article

[edit on 10-7-2007 by NJE777]

posted on Jul, 10 2007 @ 08:58 AM
link   
of course howard doesn't want a debate on it. becuase theres nothing to debate. ACtually i watched the news tonight. Rudds a hipocrite. And even johny howard said so to. According to Rudd, It's ok for a our troops to be over in afghanistan doing thier job against terrorists, but when it comes to iraq its time to get into the terrorists scare tactics and tuck tail and run?

dont think so bud.

posted on Jul, 10 2007 @ 09:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by DaRAGE
of course howard doesn't want a debate on it. becuase theres nothing to debate. ACtually i watched the news tonight. Rudds a hipocrite. And even johny howard said so to.

hmm so your on the other side of the fence then? Liberal Voter?

How can you be so confident that there is nothing to debate?

new topics

top topics

join