It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wild Weather Update

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 16 2006 @ 02:10 PM
link   
CBC TV News is reporting wild weather sweeping across North America, with the worst storms in North Carolina. Australia and New Zealand are having their own wild ride - like snow in Victoria, just 2 weeks before summer. Under the circumstances, the Global Warming Op/Ed is inevitable: THE PARADIGM SHIFT HAS ARRIVED!.

seattlepi.nwsource.com

Wild weather batters national parklands: Damage forces a rare closure at Mount Rainier

Nearly 60 years ago, a massive mudflow closed Mount Rainier National Park. The eruption of nearby Mount St. Helens did it again in 1980. And this week, the entire park closed for the third time in memory.

At least 7 dead as storms sweep through South; tornado hits tiny town

Damage from wild Washington weather continues

Metro Richmond under tornado watch

Workers return to Biloxi City Hall day after storm rips part of roof off

OREGON: Wild weather sends temps soaring

Storms batter BC, Ontario

Wild B.C. weather leaves 200,000 without power

Heavy Rains Cause Accidents, Flood Warnings

Thousands in dark as storm whips B.C.

SNOW, wind and fire hit Australia yesterday as an unseasonable icy blast moved across the continent and lightning ignited the explosively dry inland.

Four seasons in one day hit Australia

Wild weather hits NSW and Queensland

Snow in Queensland? In November?

Many didn't believe it, but it did happen.

Wild weather lashes Eastern States

Ski resort operators gazed at the snow in amazement. Parents took children out of school and headed for the mountains. Cricketers scurried from the MCG amid bullets of hail as Melburnians traded lunchtime tales of the incredible cold.

Yesterday, Antarctic winds produced snow across Victoria at levels as low as 400 metres, just two weeks before summer.

The big chill marked the coldest November day in Melbourne since the 7th in 1994, when it dropped to 12.7C. This follows the hottest October recorded.

THE PARADIGM SHIFT HAS ARRIVED!

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

The coming bird flu pandemic is not the only reason to stockpile emergency supplies.

Whatever.

This is a most interesting planet. And becoming even more so.

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Australian Weather Going Crazy
SCI/TECH: Significant Weakening Of Gulf Stream Detected
Weird Weather Watch 2006

[edit on 16-11-2006 by soficrow]

[edit on 16-11-2006 by DontTreadOnMe]

apc

posted on Nov, 16 2006 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Send more storms to the Midwest!! I love violent destructive storms. Why are the coasts getting all the fun?

Eh... don't give in to the hype just yet. I have yet to see any hurricanes trash any more cities this year, as was predicted.

Bird Flu... heh.

posted on Nov, 16 2006 @ 03:34 PM
link   
Nice collection of links.

Just one quibble, "like 400 metres of snow in Victoria" when it's actually "snow as low down as 400 metres (altitude)". 400 metres of snow would annihilate us down here

posted on Nov, 16 2006 @ 03:42 PM
link   
O piffle. Thanks, but ...I knew that, thanks to regenmacher, who u2u'd me directly, despite my anonymity. Total brain burp. Couldn't edit, have been emailing ATSNN mods, requesting their services.

Here's a bit more related coverage.

South Africa: Hospital Closed After Hail Damage

Early winter snow catches central Europe off guard

[edit on 16-11-2006 by soficrow]

posted on Nov, 16 2006 @ 03:56 PM
link   
Thank you regenmacher, subz. Mistake corrected. Gawd I hate being human. Off for my nap now.

Be interesting to see if this wild weather is a real trend.

posted on Nov, 16 2006 @ 11:25 PM
link   

Cold weather triggers massive electricity blackout across Europe

Virginia: Wild weather causes death and destruction

Somalia facing worst floods in 50 years: UN official

Global warming: Tibet's lofty glaciers melt away

Evidence grows of waning ocean current

Scientists have uncovered more evidence of a dramatic weakening in the vast ocean current that gives Western Europe its relatively balmy climate by dragging warm water northwards from the tropics.

The slowdown of the North Atlantic Drift, which climate modellers have predicted will follow global warming, has been confirmed by the most detailed study yet of ocean flow in the Atlantic.

Most alarmingly, the data reveals part of the current, usually 60 times more powerful than the Amazon River, came to a temporary halt during November 2004.

posted on Nov, 16 2006 @ 11:58 PM
link   
THE PARADIGM SHIFT HAS ARRIVED!

Forgive me. Was this supposed to make sense or be relevant in any way?

posted on Nov, 17 2006 @ 12:02 AM
link   
Not only snow in Victoria but bush fires as well and some wild and woolly storms in South Australia though it has settled now.
Been really weird the weather here lately!!

posted on Nov, 17 2006 @ 12:37 AM
link   
Those storms swept through here before going on to NC.

THEY WERE AWESOME....
and very very BAD...

I think that there is 8 confirmed dead now in NC alone...

Semper

posted on Nov, 17 2006 @ 01:09 AM
link   

posted by Soficrow
MORE

Soficrow, why did you pick an undated Pakistani news site for a European story?

The event took place on November 4th and had nothing to do with cold weather, though the news (their nature is sensation) suggested so ...for 24 hours or so ...until the actual cause was explained.

Don't you read BBC News?

The European Commission has called for a full investigation into the causes of a blackout that left swathes of western Europe without power at the weekend.
The comments of Energy Commissioner Andris Piebalgs came after German electricity firm E.ON admitted that it was to blame for the power cut.

E.ON said its grid had overloaded after it temporarily switched off an electricity line in northern Germany.

E.ON said the offending power line crossed over the river Ems and was turned off to allow a cruise ship to safely pass through.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I stay in SE Asia, but I'm European, so I keep updated.

To add to your story I say, YES, here where I stay the whether is f#ed up too. The rainy season just stopped with a two month extension of torrential rains not seen worse in living memory.

Last year there was hardly any rain at all through the wet season - it was the worst draught seen. That the extremes are getting more extreme is for sure, but don't cry wolf before it is there.

I agree it might be coming sooner than we know. But...

Things are changing.
Here where I stay we just wait for the winds to change to northly ones, so we can get a little coolness, they should have canged by the end of October. Last year it was quite chilly at this time.

Maybe things HAVE changed.

posted on Nov, 17 2006 @ 02:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by khunmoon

Soficrow, why did you pick an undated Pakistani news site for a European story?

The event took place on November 4th and had nothing to do with cold weather, though the news (their nature is sensation) suggested so ...for 24 hours or so ...until the actual cause was explained.

Don't you read BBC News?

Had a list, grabbed the top one. Here are 2 of many that contradict the BBC report.

Cold snap plunges much of Europe into darkness

A sudden weekend surge in demand for electricity in Germany due to freezing weather plunged much of Europe into blackness as France and other power exporting countries found their grids overtapped.

PARIS AFP 05/11/2006 07:46

A surge in electricity demand in Germany due to cold weather triggered blackouts across western Europe, leaving about 10 percent of French consumers without power, electricity operators said.

There has been wild weather around the whole world over the past week - I suspect the extent and possible import is being downplayed.

To add to your story I say, YES, here where I stay the whether is f#ed up too. The rainy season just stopped with a two month extension of torrential rains not seen worse in living memory.

Last year there was hardly any rain at all through the wet season - it was the worst draught seen. That the extremes are getting more extreme is for sure, but don't cry wolf before it is there.

I agree it might be coming sooner than we know. But...

Things are changing.
Here where I stay we just wait for the winds to change to northly ones, so we can get a little coolness, they should have canged by the end of October. Last year it was quite chilly at this time.

Maybe things HAVE changed.

I suspect the wild weather may be due to another blip in the North Atlantic Current/Gulf Stream, as occurred in November 2004 - but can't find any current reports. ...Have little time right now. Am searching and writing on the fly.

GRADY - You missed the lead-in sentence: Under the circumstance, the Global Warming Op/Ed is inevitable: THE PARADIGM SHIFT HAS ARRIVED!.

...I just copied and pasted one Op/Ed link, as an example.

posted on Nov, 17 2006 @ 05:01 AM
link   
Extreme heat and Cold, Fires, Floods, Hurricanes, Tornadoes, Earthquakes, Pandemics, Tsunamis ..... fellow Humans are all part of Mother Natures grand plan of fixing the wee problem that us here mortals have created.

Get used to it its here to stay and get alot lot worse

Weve been warned! Prepare yourself, dont rely on Governments to be prepared or even able to save Millions of people, it doesnt work that way!

posted on Nov, 17 2006 @ 05:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Soficrow
Here are 2 of many that contradict the BBC report.

No offense meant, but none contradict the BBC report. It's just that only BBC (and a few others) reported the cause that assisted in triggering the incident. News are sensations that sell, and to report that if they hadn't shut down that powerline it wouldn't had happened - despite the harsh weather - is a story that takes out the sensation of the original one. So don't report.

They close down that powerline across the river Ems every time a new ship leaves the Meyer Werft of Papenburg. The 200 year old shipyard is inland up the river and are today specialized in building huge cruiseships, that only barely can pass through to the North Sea and not safely pass under the powerlines. Therfore they're rutinely switched off a number of times every year. It's considered of no hazard to the powergrid.

The first weekend of November was so extremely cold and nobody obvious took it in calculation.
Wiki already has the story. Two days later on the return of the vessel, the switchoff was done without any problems.

There has been wild weather around the whole world over the past week - I suspect the extent and possible import is being downplayed.

I agree that it's being downplayed, but not to report the actual cause is upplaying.

That said, my memory of five decades can confirm that it has never before seen - or heard of - snow that early. Usually it will come in the last week of November at earliest.

I have a link I posted in another thread, but it might be of interest here as well.

It's a future scenario based on current knowledge of past climate changes, interesting stuff, really heavy literally, it takes up to five minutes to download the 22 pages in PDF format. But it's worth it.
An Abrupt Climate Change Scenario and Its Implications for United
States National Security
October 2003

Here's a snippet. Note 2005 was still future by the time of publication.

By 2005 the climatic impact of the shift is felt more intensely in certain regions
around the world. More severe storms and typhoons bring about higher storm
surges and floods in low-lying islands such as Tarawa and Tuvalu (near New
Zealand). In 2007, a particularly severe storm causes the ocean to break through
levees in the Netherlands making a few key coastal cities such as The Hague
unlivable. Failures of the delta island levees in the Sacramento River region in the
Central Valley of California creates an inland sea and disrupts the aqueduct system
transporting water from northern to southern California because salt water can no
longer be kept out of the area during the dry season. Melting along the Himalayan
glaciers accelerates, causing some Tibetan people to relocate. Floating ice in the
northern polar seas, which had already lost 40% of its mass from 1970 to 2003, is
mostly gone during summer by 2010.

It's coming sooner than we know.

[edit on 17-11-2006 by khunmoon]

posted on Nov, 17 2006 @ 05:41 AM
link   
Is this new forecast a product of Global Warming? I mean I have never seen so much rain in Ontario as the last month. Before that Buffalo and Ontario had a monster freak snow storm in October, unheard of. And it knocked out power due to ice build up on tree limbs, still loaded with uncoloured leaves.

Dallas

posted on Nov, 17 2006 @ 08:46 AM
link   
As usual Britain suffers from a complete and utter lack of unusual weather.

It's November so what do we get? Rain, wind and snow. Couldn't get more normal if you tried.

However, before you start thinking there's any significance in recent 'unusual' weather events - just try finding one year since weather records began in which there weren't similarly unusual weather events occuring. For example, snow in England in June? Which happened in 1975 ....

posted on Nov, 17 2006 @ 09:31 AM
link   
Well us up here in Scotland have had a lot of rain over the past week, alot more than normal, plut the winds have been stronger than normal. 3 Sailors, 2 were killed and 1 injured when their oil rig was hit by a huge wave in the North Sea. Coincidence?

Oks now, why is it that hollywood gets it right everytime with their films?

Plus Autum came earlier this year, than in any previous years. The weather right now is certianly acting weird. Heres a question, isnt that weather fenominai back again, we had it years ago? Elmenau or something it was called.

posted on Nov, 17 2006 @ 04:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by spencerjohnstone
Plus Autum came earlier this year, than in any previous years. The weather right now is certianly acting weird. Heres a question, isnt that weather fenominai back again, we had it years ago? Elmenau or something it was called.

Speak for yourself. autumn didn't kick in down south (Reading, Berkshire) till October. Sept was lovely and warm, better than August!

posted on Nov, 17 2006 @ 04:19 PM
link   

... a story that takes out the sensation of the original one. So don't report.

Wiki already has the story.

I agree that it's being downplayed, but not to report the actual cause is upplaying.

?!?

I already do more research for my stories than anyone else who posts here. In my spare time, and despite my disabilities which include transient loss of eyesight. Excuse me very much if my efforts do not meet your personal criteria. I will, however, continue to post despite your advice not to do so.

The story, incidentally, is NOT about Europe's unseasonably cold weather, OR a power outage - it is about wild weather around the world over the past couple of weeks.

That said, thank you for your contributions and input.

I will of course expect you to follow your own standards, and not ever to post unless you have searched, researched and re-searched the heck out of any topic before you start a thread or make a comment - and also, will expect you to find a way to include virtually ALL related information in your post, within the character limit, and without boring the crap out of readers.

RE: the BBC's report that the power outage had absolutely nothing to do with the cold snap. ...Ever heard the word "spin"?

In fact, it is really difficult to find and verify current wild weather stories - the powers-that-be were so afraid it would influence the UN's climate talks, they clamped down with what amounted to a weather news black-out.

[edit on 17-11-2006 by soficrow]

posted on Nov, 17 2006 @ 08:18 PM
link   
Oh sofi, don't get me wrong! Please...
None like you have my respect. Your thread "Bushkrieg" just took me by admiration, when I first came to ATS - that convinced me, here was the place of seriouness and dedication I was looking for.

I can see you misunderstand me - your standards are far above the average, I merely just try to live up to them - I never told you not to post.

I wrote: "News are sensations that sell, and to report that if they hadn't shut down that powerline it wouldn't had happened - despite the harsh weather - is a story that takes out the sensation of the original one. So don't report." What I should have written instead of "So" was Therefore they don't report.

That's how I ment it anyway.

I'm not native speaking English, so please forgive me. I do put a lot of effort into getting my message through. As language is the tool here, I'm very careful in my expressions. But not enough, I learn from this.

I'm sorry for causing misunderstanding.

And yes, I admit being too zealous in my judgements, to a point where denunciations are applied on the language and arguments I see in some post. So far I've learned not to participate in the discussions of those.

Except my appologies, if I have caused any harm it was never intentional. My critic was merely ment as a correction.

Let's get to the weather news black-out.

Have anybody heard about how bad the weather of this wet season in Thailand have been?
Guess not, as far I can judge fron international media. It's downplayed. The media always do so, if it don't fit their schemes.
Who cares that Thailand by floods for months have been cut in two with land connections north-south interrupted, with an undisclosed number of people perished in floods and mudslides?

Nobody, cause it's no good for (tourist)business.

posted on Nov, 17 2006 @ 08:51 PM
link   

Oh sofi, don't get me wrong! Please...

O jeez. I did get you wrong. So sorry. ...I usually give benefit of the doubt and try not to indulge my ego to quite that extent. Must be a bad moon on the rise.

Friends?

btw - I really like your work. And you do English VERY well. Keep posting lots, please.

Let's get to the weather news black-out.

Have anybody heard about how bad the weather of this wet season in Thailand have been?
Guess not, as far I can judge fron international media. It's downplayed. The media always do so, if it don't fit their schemes.
Who cares that Thailand by floods for months have been cut in two with land connections north-south interrupted, with an undisclosed number of people perished in floods and mudslides?

Nobody, cause it's no good for (tourist)business.

Uh huh.

...People like to shut out the facts that make them uncomfortable. When they do hear about these things - they think "Act of God," and move on.

But the floods, mudslides and weather are NOT "Acts of God," are they?

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join