It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

India test fires Agni III missile

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2006 @ 07:41 AM
link   
India's most sophisticated intermediate range ballistic misslie (IRBM) Agni-III was test-fired from a range off the Orissa coast on Sunday.

The indigenously built surface-to-surface nuclear capable missile, with a range of 3,500 km, was test-fired from a fixed platform at the launch complex of the Integrated Test Range (ITR) at the Wheeler's Island at about 1105 hours IST, defence sources said.

Described as the most powerful of India's missiles developed by the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO), Agni-3 has the capability of carrying a payload of 1000 kg.

Defence Minister Pranab Mukherjee and his scientific advisor M Natarajan were also present at the launch complex.

Eyewitnesses said the sleek missile roared into the overcast sky leaving behind a trail of thick yellow smoke and fire and vanished into the clouds within seconds.

Fitted with an onboard computer, it took off vertically into space and re-entered again to the splash down point near Nicobar island in the Bay of Bengal, the sources said.

Three sophisticated radars, six electro optical tracking systems and three telemetric data stations were engaged in the main land at Dhamra, Chandipur and Andamans apart from a ship anchored close to the splash down point to monitor the entire trajectory of the missile.

India test fires Agni III missile

mod edit:
Can you please quote the source as well
Please use this in the post creation window in future to cut down the length of your link, as long url's can alter the width of the page.
Or alternatively you can use: [url=www.urlhere.com]link name here[/url]
A good walkthrough to explain in more detail is ATTN :Image Size Guidelines

[edit on 10-7-2006 by UK Wizard]

posted on Jul, 9 2006 @ 10:35 AM
link   
Finally!!
Two scuttled launches later, this has finally happened. Curious to see the international community's response. Comparisions to N Korea? Attacks on the US foreign policy as being hypocritical(if the US doesn't condemn/respond to the tests)?
Where does India go from here?
5000km? ICBM??

Anyways the payload seems a little wanting at only 1 ton. What yields of N-weapons could you fit on that? I'm pretty sure this isn't MIRV enabled, although its CEP is supposed to be pretty good at 50-100m. Remember Agni I(1000-1500km) and AgniII(2500-3000km) have CEPs of 25 and 40meters respectively and so one would expect AgniIII to be around 75 to 80m max.

posted on Jul, 9 2006 @ 06:35 PM
link   
India is a trustworth and peaceful country they're not madmen like North Koreans or Iranians etc. So NATO will not care.

posted on Jul, 10 2006 @ 07:57 AM
link   
The test was not successful.

posted on Jul, 10 2006 @ 08:01 AM
link   
double damage.Today's rocket launch of GSLV carrying comm sat insat 4c failed.Dammit what a sad weekend

www.ndtv.com...

[edit on 10-7-2006 by warthog911]

posted on Jul, 10 2006 @ 08:02 AM
link   
Bramski...havent you noticed that i posted a new thread about the same subject hours ago?

Original thread

posted on Jul, 10 2006 @ 08:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by urmomma158
India is a trustworth and peaceful country they're not madmen like North Koreans or Iranians etc. So NATO will not care.

Trustworthy and Peaceful?
hellinparadise.150m.com...

"Since January 1990, rape by Indian occupation forces has become more frequent. Rape most often occurs during crackdowns, cordon and search operations during which men are held for identification in parks or schoolyards while security forces search their homes. In raping them, the security forces are attempting to punish and humiliate the entire community."

And a bunch more.

Don't get me wrong, I believe India is a nation with a full and spectacular history. Their spiritual texts have no peers, and their language, as many others, is rooted in the most ancient, and advanced languages still in use.

However, everything has it's shadow.

posted on Jul, 10 2006 @ 11:02 AM
link   
Any prolonged occupation will result in the above incidents and whether they actually happened or are just props funded by vested interests is still in question.
Anyways, I'm not here to argue about the humanitarian issues in Kashmir so I'll drop it.
True a terrible few days for Indian missiles/rockets. One hopes they recover from it fast.

I quote myself on the thread for the benefit of those who haven't read that one:

The missile may not have achieved desired altitude,which eventually resulted in its CEP being severely compromised.However Agni III may not have been a complete failure, as the designated target was observed by IN ships and the missile may have not hit the target with the desired CEP.

Source

This a day before the Indian Geosynch launch vehicle spectacularly failed 40 seconds into launch. The 7 strap on rockets lost synchronism and the rocket veered off course thus forcing ground control to self destruct it.
Sad few days these for the Indian space program and one hopes they get out of it fast as many more big things like a moon mission are envisioned for the next 2-3 years.
Note that the INSAT 4C satellite weigging 2+ tons was lost in the GSLV failure.

GSLV Failure

Note: There are two threads on this so either we separate topics and rename one title or we close one thread? mods...

P.S: Agni III has nothing to do with Pakistan. It can travel 7 times the breadth of Pakistan and so this missile is purely meant for the chinese seaboard.

posted on Jul, 10 2006 @ 11:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mammoth
Bramski...havent you noticed that i posted a new thread about the same subject hours ago?

Original thread

No mate I didn't notice it even though I searched. Looking at the times though it seems you posted 8 hours afterwards but if one of the mods sees this and wants to merge it or something it'll save having the discussion split amongts 2 threads.

posted on Jul, 10 2006 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mammoth

Original thread

how rude!!!

you start a second thread on the topic 8 hours after the first and then tell the other topic starter hes the one who posted second.

theres more to ats than points u know.

justin

posted on Jul, 10 2006 @ 12:12 PM
link   
netscape said the test was unsuccsessful but i found this.
www.defencetalk.com...
read the first paragraph.

theres another page on the same website
www.defencetalk.com...
i assume the second one is true and the test did fail, but if so why has the site reported the test a succsess and a failure at the same time?

justin

posted on Jul, 10 2006 @ 03:12 PM
link   
India announced this test weeks ago, North Korea didn't announce their Ballistic Missile tests at all before they launched, the CIA did.

It is the same reason no one was outraged when Iran launched ballistic missiles in January, they announced the test would happen in 2005.

The reason for the announcement is to warn air travel carriers and shipping carriers to be aware it is coming so they can be prepared and plan accordingly.

India followed international protocol with this launch.

posted on Jul, 12 2006 @ 07:05 AM
link   

India is a trustworth and peaceful country they're not madmen like North Koreans or Iranians etc.

Wars after 1960 :

North Korea: 0
India: 3 (2 with Pakistan, 1 with China)

Peaceful my ass.

posted on Jul, 12 2006 @ 07:21 AM
link   
It must be quite disheartening for a country to spend millions on missiles only to have them fail.

I know theres obviously a tremendous amount work involved but still...You'd think they'd have a gaurantee or something.

posted on Jul, 12 2006 @ 09:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Simon666

India is a trustworth and peaceful country they're not madmen like North Koreans or Iranians etc.

Wars after 1960 :

North Korea: 0
India: 3 (2 with Pakistan, 1 with China)

Peaceful my ass.

I pray that your behind is peaceful, but tell me one thing, did India start even one of those wars??!!!!

And very prudent of you to NOT consider the period before 1960. That would put N Korea at a disadvantage now wouldn't it?

Zenem, everybody that spends on missiles runs the risk of wasting it, if indeed one can describe an unsuccessful launch as a total loss of money.

[edit on 12-7-2006 by Daedalus3]

posted on Jul, 12 2006 @ 11:04 AM
link   

name me one war Iran started for the past 800 years.

posted on Jul, 12 2006 @ 07:05 PM
link   

Since Iran hasn't existed as a nation for nearly that long your point is mute, unless you want to trace back the series of other nations that you consider to be 'Iranian'. While I sympathize with the idea that the U.S. should be able to stomp around the world telling everyone what to do no country who's developing nuclear weapons can be considered peaceful, India included.

posted on Jul, 12 2006 @ 11:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Amur Tiger
While I sympathize with the idea that the U.S. should be able to stomp around the world telling everyone what to do no country who's developing nuclear weapons can be considered peaceful, India included.

Ahh.. but nuclear weapons have been one to most contributing factors to peace last century, since Mahatma Gandhi.There is a difference between one being knievely peaceful and being downright foolish.Having nuclear weapons by themselves doesn't mean you're a war monger. It means nobody's going to pick on you w/o thinking twice.
However making provocative statements, funding terrorrism, actively instigating disturbances in foreign lands etc. overtly OR covertly all cumulates to being 'not peaceful', irrespective of whether you possess nuclear weapons or not.

Don't confuse nuclear weapons with peace and war. By that logic any weaponry nuclear or not, points to being 'not peaceful'.

posted on Jul, 13 2006 @ 04:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Amur Tiger

Since Iran hasn't existed as a nation for nearly that long your point is mute, unless you want to trace back the series of other nations that you consider to be 'Iranian'. While I sympathize with the idea that the U.S. should be able to stomp around the world telling everyone what to do no country who's developing nuclear weapons can be considered peaceful, India included.

My countrys history is 10,000 years. what are you talking about?.

[edit on 13-7-2006 by Mehran]

[edit on 13-7-2006 by Mehran]

posted on Jul, 13 2006 @ 05:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mehran
My countrys history is 10,000 years. what are you talking about?.

Thats a first !!! What are YOU talking about??!!!

The first known organised civilizations are about 5000 years old.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join