It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

PA Announcements about carrying your Identification at Retail Shops.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 31 2005 @ 12:27 AM
link   
Well I think this is only the second time I have ever started a thread, but I encountered this today and thought it was strange and worrisome enough that I would like to hear from the folks here if they have come across this as well.

I noticed something today that I have never noticed before. I stopped by a Wal-Mart this morning to pick up a DVD, and while I was walking out of the store I heard a “canned” announcement on the PA system about making sure you carry your ID while shopping. Since I am used to ignoring PA systems, I missed the first part of what they were talking about, but thought it was strange since most people carry ID anyway.

Later on in the day I stopped by a Shell station to fill up my gas, and guess what… Another “canned” PA announcement about making sure to have your ID card while using the gas station. Again, I missed the first part of the announcement, and my mind only focused in when I heard the word identification. I am pretty sure that both messages stated that this was for “Your” convenience, but hearing it a second time and at a different store shocked me nonetheless.

I always carry my ID, but I am wondering if these are almost subliminal messages in a way, since most people tune them out as I do. Could this be a way to start conditioning people to have to use the REAL ID to be able to purchase goods, and to get people used to being asked for your ID at every turn? I would like to know if anyone else has heard these announcements, and if so, where, and what did they say?

I am sure that any of you that has read anything I have ever posted on Historicism, RFID, the REAL ID, The Patriot Act, the Beast, and the Mark, can see where I am afraid this may be heading to…

[edit on 10/31/2005 by defcon5]

posted on Oct, 31 2005 @ 09:53 AM
link   
Welcome to the police state.

If you haven't yet arrived, you soon will. The little background PA announcements are just little subliminal messages to get everyone used to carrying ID's around.

First its ID's, then its National ID Cards, and from there it just gets worse.

posted on Oct, 31 2005 @ 09:58 AM
link   
That does sound creepy. I'd hate to get to the stage where it would be a criminal offence to not carry your id with you.

posted on Oct, 31 2005 @ 10:00 AM
link   
What's so wrong about having toe carry and ID with you? I always carry mine, as I always have.

posted on Oct, 31 2005 @ 10:03 AM
link   
There's nothing wrong with it. It's more the fact that you HAVE to is the problem.

posted on Oct, 31 2005 @ 10:21 AM
link   
I have news for you. If i am out with my husband who does the driving, or my friends or just out without a wallet, what business is it of anybody if i carry an id or not?

If i die in transit, i'm sure somebody will miss me eventually and identify my corpse.

This is just another assenine move in this country.

I'll carry what i want, unless of course i am driving or doing business that requires i have the id on me.

Bunch of nuts.
I tell you this is too much.

For those of you who think its normal, ITS NOT.

posted on Oct, 31 2005 @ 10:33 AM
link   
I agree its creepy, but being asked to carry an ID is hardly a police state as some here are suggesting.

On the contrary, I worry about people who defy wanting to carry an id and show it to the proper] authorities if asked. After all, why worry if you have nothing to hide?

posted on Oct, 31 2005 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by defcon5
...and thought it was strange and worrisome enough that I would like to hear from the folks here if they have come across this as well.

I think its BS. ok, so you're out shopping and you hear this announcement. You miss a major portion of the announcement but yet it troubles you so much, that you don't bother to stick around to hear it again? Ok, so you get a second chance, and you're even more bothered this time, but still you don't bother to stick around to hear it again?

I don't buy it.

posted on Oct, 31 2005 @ 10:46 AM
link   
Skippy, you miss the point entirely. I like you, but you need to analyze this.

If there was a PA announcement saying "Only people who walked to Wal-Mart will be allowed to make purchases", would you roll your eyes and say what the heck is this?

It makes no sense at all. (provided you lucked out and DID walk.

Its an INVASION of privacy. Here comes the chip. Come on, this way we can always be IDENTIFIED. Who is this woman with sun glasses and a shopping cart checking out our merchandise? hmmm...I wonder if she has an ID or is a terrorist. hmmmm...

Baaaaaaaaa!

posted on Oct, 31 2005 @ 10:47 AM
link   
********************Warning***********************************
**********Some May find this post offence**************************

Kid,

I will tell you what the problem is.
As a little kid a remember in "unfree" countries like Russia, China, Nazi Germany-not to insult any country or anyone from them, just what I heard as a child from people and on TV- all the citizens would be stoppped and the famous saying ( in best Russian voice) ," Papers please".
It was always shown in such a manner as to demonstrate they were police states-NOT Americia.

I always carry my wallet with me-unless I forgot it at home and that does happen.
Now I realize u need to show id to write check or use credit cards-to make sure you are you.
But, if you purchase items with cash-there is no need to have to show it-IMO!

posted on Oct, 31 2005 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by BostonBill99
I think its BS. ok, so you're out shopping and you hear this announcement. You miss a major portion of the announcement but yet it troubles you so much, that you don't bother to stick around to hear it again? Ok, so you get a second chance, and you're even more bothered this time, but still you don't bother to stick around to hear it again?

That tape may only loop once every 30 minutes, I have no idea how long it takes and since I was busy I was not going to stick around to find out. Now the next time I go there and am spending some time just browsing, I am darn sure going to listen for that announcement.
Besides that, the first time I heard it, it simply caught my attention, it was hearing a similar one somewhere else later that made me start thinking about it.

Like I said it was not like a demand, it sounded more like they would inconvenience you if you did not present it if asked. I can understand ID’ing people to restrict certain items, I have no issue with that and most people know when they are buying something that they are going to be ID’ed for, but why put it in a looping announcement with the “canned music”?

Originally posted by cmdrkeenkid
What's so wrong about having toe carry and ID with you? I always carry mine, as I always have.

I have to agree with Yossarian on this one. If I am going in to by beer and I forgot my ID, I expect to walk back out without beer. I just don’t like the underlying idea that they are “whispering it in my ear” to make sure I have it on my person when shopping in their store. If I decide to pay cash for an item that does not have an age restriction on it, it’s not their business if I have an ID card or not. Now I am not saying that the message was that they would not serve you if you did not have an ID, but it still troubles me that they would feel the need to be quietly reminding me that I should be carrying one.

Originally posted by ekul08
First its ID's, then its National ID Cards, and from there it just gets worse.

Well we have already allowed the passage of a national ID card in the Real ID Act; it must be enforced by 2008 in all states that wish to be recognized by the Federal Government. Here in Florida they just retooled the driver’s license with “additional security features”. The web site dose not get too deep into the specifics of what those features are, but I would not put it past them to have RFID chipped them already, considering who our governor is. I can see where stores like Wally World would want you to always have your ID card so they can secretly scan your RFID when you walk in the store and track your purchase information.

If there is nothing to this RFID thing, then try this. The next time you buy an item at Wally World, and they run it over that gray pad and it starts making loud popping noises, innocently ask the clerk if that noise was from killing an RFID chip. Now I know that the people that work at Wally World know what an RFID chip is, so it’s not a matter of ignorance with them, but you see the response you get. Normally if there is any other new technology and you ask them about it, they are more then happy to chat for a few seconds about it, but you try it about RFID.
The first time I heard that sound and knew it was not a normal demagnetizer, I quite innocently asked about it, thinking it was neat after having read about them. The clerk actually got mad, and acted like a jerk during the rest of the time I was checking out. I have tried several times since then, and every time, I get a negative response from the person behind the counter, and never once an “oh yeah, that is the new security tracking devices, they are really neat, they…blah…blah…blah…”

Anyone have any idea why they would be so touchy about that subject?

posted on Oct, 31 2005 @ 11:51 AM
link   

If I decide to pay cash for an item that does not have an age restriction on it, it’s not their business if I have an ID card or not.

Your original post never said anything about needing the ID to pay for cash. Where did that notion come from? You said yourself you didn't hear all of either announcement. Could it be that they were reminding people who planned to pay with checks or credit/debit cards to have their IDs at the ready? I think more than likely that's it.

If there is nothing to this RFID thing, then try this. The next time you buy an item at Wally World, and they run it over that gray pad and it starts making loud popping noises...

I've never heard ANYTHING make "loud popping noises" at any store I have ever shopped at.

posted on Oct, 31 2005 @ 11:54 AM
link   
Are you sure it wasn't to make sure that you have your store card, rather than your actual state issued id card, which you aren't even required to possess at all? Or that perhaps they were saying to make sure you have ID if you are going to use a credit card and the like.

That does sound creepy. I'd hate to get to the stage where it would be a criminal offence to not carry your id with you

Since when is breaking the store rules a criminal offense anyway? Its not.

Its not illegal to not own ID. It is illegal, in the US, to not give the police your ID when they have stopped you and are requesting it. THo I think that they may have had to stopped you for breaking a law in order for that to apply. But, agian, its not illegal to not actually own an ID.

[edit on 31-10-2005 by Nygdan]

posted on Oct, 31 2005 @ 11:59 AM
link   
To be honest, i've never heard that announcement anywhere. When i do, i will go to the manager and demand to know what thats all about.

If the explanation isnt satisfactory, i will simply leave and go elsewhere.

posted on Oct, 31 2005 @ 12:10 PM
link   
Where i live if you are stopped by the police for any reason and you can't produce a valid ID you can be placed under arrest until your identity is verified. I guess maybe it's a matter of degree, like he can't 'stop' you or ask for ID without reason, but you are required (atleast in FL.) to carry valid ID at all times...not just when operating a vehicle. Is that not the case everywhere in the U.S.?

posted on Oct, 31 2005 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Your original post never said anything about needing the ID to pay for cash. Where did that notion come from? You said yourself you didn't hear all of either announcement. Could it be that they were reminding people who planned to pay with checks or credit/debit cards to have their IDs at the ready? I think more than likely that's it.

I guess my point is that I have gotten along just fine for the first half of my life without being told what I consider common sense. If I needed that then they should have a little announcement that I should “always make sure to wear my pants while I am shopping in their store”, or “I should make sure to occasionally take a breath so I don’t pass out while in their store”, or “do not bring your pet skunkape in the store”, etc.

I just find it bizarre that with the passing of the Real ID, and the coming out of the RFID, I am suddenly being told to make “sure I have my ID on me”. If there is nothing these announcements, then why now, and why at two different corporate owned retail vendors several hours apart?

I am not saying that you’re totally wrong; I am just saying that it hit me funny, and I wanted to see if anyone else out there was seeing a similar trend in other stores.

I've never heard ANYTHING make "loud popping noises" at any store I have ever shopped at.

I am not sure what to tell you on that one. The first time I noticed it was on the self checkout lanes in the Wal-Mart here. As soon as I brought the item (a DVD) over the scanner, a fairly loud clicking/popping sound started and continued until the item was swept past the scanner area and killing pad. It is very noticeable and audible even when the item is held a foot above the surface of the pad/scanner. After you touch it to the surface and rub it around a few times that popping sound stops.

It just dawned on me what it sounds like; the sound is similar to loud static electricity. If I remember back to high school correctly the VanDegraph Generators used to make a similar crackling sound as well.

posted on Oct, 31 2005 @ 12:19 PM
link   

I noticed something today that I have never noticed before. I stopped by a Wal-Mart this morning to pick up a DVD, and while I was walking out of the store I heard a “canned” announcement on the PA system about making sure you carry your ID while shopping. Since I am used to ignoring PA systems, I missed the first part of what they were talking about, but thought it was strange since most people carry ID anyway.

Later on in the day I stopped by a Shell station to fill up my gas, and guess what… Another “canned” PA announcement about making sure to have your ID card while using the gas station. Again, I missed the first part of the announcement, and my mind only focused in when I heard the word identification. I am pretty sure that both messages stated that this was for “Your” convenience, but hearing it a second time and at a different store shocked me nonetheless.

Why are some of you getting so worked up about this and paranoid? Defcon5 stated that he didn't even hear the whole message. He just focused on the word "identification".

Kind of like selective hearing..where you hear what you want to hear.

Already some of you are screaming "police state" when the whole message isn't even known and the only person that heard it was defcon5.

Heck, it could be an announcement reminding shoppers to have their shopper's club ID cards or something to get 5 cents off soda. You know how some stores have them things.

Lets calm down, think, and deny ignorance (get the whole story or atleast hear the whole message)

posted on Oct, 31 2005 @ 12:21 PM
link   
there's a new type of debit card being offered by some banks and possibly some stores. it is a faster process in making your purchases. perhaps that is what they were talking about. perhaps shell has something like mobil on the go. perhaps they were saying you need to carry id if you plan on cashing a check. go back and listen to the messages.

the idea that they are subliminally telling you to carry identification is idiotic. why is it idiotic? because everyone should carry id. what if you get hit by a car and need medical attention. let's say you are also allergic to some meds. without id, you might not be notified fast enough, which means a loved one might not find you in time to warn the docs about allergies. or the need for insulin or something along those lines. if I get killed, I'd hate for my wife and kids to be in the dark for even a day, while someone from missing persons ran a check on every john doe corpse in the area.

let's assume they are telling everyone to carry id for no real reason. who's to say what type of id. sitting in my pocket, at all times, is the following, in a nice litte bill fold.

cash. credit cards, driver's license, metro card, business card and a Joker.

yup. I carry a Joker. some girl gave it to me years ago at a night club and I found it funny. kept it. anyone asks for id without reason, that's what they get. does that count toward id?

there is no state-wide id,unless you count driver's license which isn't something everyone has.

There is no national id, unless you count your social security card or your passport, both of which are not held by all of us. Besides, ss card has no photo so it's useless as an id and not everyone has a passport.

To start telling people to carry their id, you have to have a uniformly accepted form of id. subliminally advising us to carry something we don't all have isn't conditioning us to the concept, it is alerting us to the idea. What that does is produce a population of people who are highly attuned to the lack of an id card and the need to know what the hell they are talking about. counterproductive.

posted on Oct, 31 2005 @ 12:22 PM
link   
Quite, I can see the 'chinese whispers' effect easily happening here and somewhere down the line the story will be saying that it definately means something that it may not. There is not much else that can be said in my opinon until we know the whole story, or message in this case.

posted on Oct, 31 2005 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan
Are you sure it wasn't to make sure that you have your store card, rather than your actual state issued id card, which you aren't even required to possess at all? Or that perhaps they were saying to make sure you have ID if you are going to use a credit card and the like.

Yep or it would not have caught my attention. I hate to shop at that place but due to the hours I normally work, I often have to. Since I have known they are an RFID test bed, I notice anything like this that they pull, and this certainly caught my attention. What got me by surprise was hearing a similar thing at the gas station. Now as far as I know, both shell and Wally World have credit cards, but neither have store cards that I am aware of. CVS and Kash & Karry are the biggest “store card” pushers in this area.

Originally posted by Rren
Where i live if you are stopped by the police for any reason and you can't produce a valid ID you can be placed under arrest until your identity is verified. I guess maybe it's a matter of degree, like he can't 'stop' you or ask for ID without reason, but you are required (at least in FL.) to carry valid ID at all times...not just when operating a vehicle. Is that not the case everywhere in the U.S.?

I think this a new law down here though, it came out since 911. Heck my siblings that grew up down here did not have any ID on them until they received their driver’s licenses. I grew up in CmdrKeenKids neck of the woods and we certainly did not run around with ID until we where 16 or 17 years old up there.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join