It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Location of atlantis

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2005 @ 03:13 AM
link   
Iv read many texts on Atlantas.Iv studied the myths of the land,the city itself(which was thought to be surrounded by a canal and mountains),and many other interesting stories.

The thing that most interests me is the locations claimed to be where Atlantas was originally in.Iv found out various locations thought of where Atlantas is.

Northern middle Atlantic ocean
Southern coast of Ukraine(blacksea)
The Pampas plains of Peru
North American continent

These are the only few i found to be thought as possible areas.I don`t think i could ever pick an area in the world to where Atlantas might be due to many complications,one being its a continent,2 being the landscape and three being the manmade structures.All these variations said to be found in once existing Atlantas do not all piece together with these possible landscapes.

But dispite the many complications,i wanted to know where many of you think it might possibly be.If many of you do not believe in the existence of Atlantas,its alright,i would like that opinion too.But any opinion in the topic would be good.

posted on Feb, 16 2005 @ 03:18 AM
link   
Thru my research i believe it is in anartica,still intact covered with ice so deep man will never see it.

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 01:39 AM
link   
This website will explain all. Atlantis is the key to who we are at a human race. It is the origin of ALL!!!

Read over everything, and be amazed!

www.atlan.org...

[edit on 17-2-2005 by pantha]

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 02:15 AM
link   
I believe Atlantis is in the Azores, the Azores being the tops of the mountain ranges described by Plato, everything else is deep underwater in the middle of the Atlantic.

Here is a good website that shows various possible locations of Atlantis:

www.mysteriousworld.com...

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 02:16 AM
link   
lost CONTINENT of ATLANTIS...not island

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 02:23 AM
link   
I think Atlantis is in the Caribbean about 350 feet under water. The Bahama Islands now consist of about seven hundred small islands and cays. But 10,000 years ago much more of the earths water was frozen in a Ice Age. The water level was 350 ft lower. Back then the entire region, which is known as the Bahama Bank, was above sea level.

During the Ice Age, the Yucatan peninsula of Mexico stretched out nearly to Cuba, which was a larger island than today, and the Key West chain of islands was a land bridge that stretched almost to the northern coast of Cuba. A long mass of land, with only two or three breaks for rivers, ran from Jamaica, across what are now the Lesser Antilles Islands and continued all the way to Venezuela

In that area thats where I think Atlantis is or was when it was dry land.

www.atlantisinsights.net...

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 02:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by MAVERlCK2
lost CONTINENT of ATLANTIS...not island

Check out this website, about half way down, there shows a depiction of the "continent " you speak of!

www.mysteriousworld.com...

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 02:42 AM
link   
I tend to think its more around the middle north atlantic similar to what celticniall said.This is because what was discribed in many of the ancientGreek texts(some Roman) which were translated was that it was a land offshore of the European continent(this was not exactly said but similar) to the west.This must of ment for it to be a continent it must of had a huge body of space inorder for that continent to be in.

The Atlantic is the nearest to Europe with that much spare space.I dont believe it was in south america because 1 being they would of had t take months to get to South america with the technology that they had.According to the texts,no such length of time was discribed to get there.It was as if it was a place probably acouple of days away.The culture of the people discribed in Atlantas was totally different in discriptive comparison to the South American culture.Also many of the pictures shown were different to those of the cultures that existed there.So I would indeed rule out South America in my opinion.

Shadow you also make a reasonable opinion.The Caribbian does host a possiblity to this.The only problem was that its too small.Atlantas itself was thought to be the size of France and the Iberian penninsula combined.

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 02:51 AM
link   
You bring up a good point blacksteel. But im afraid it is flawed. In acient greek times there was only one ocean, guess what it was called, the Atlantic Ocean. So this holds no clues as to where it is. The Indies are a LARGE group of Islands that use to formerly be a huge continent before the ocean level raised up in a few days due to the melting of the polar ice caps thus causing Atlantis to be flooded. In addition, Mount Krakatowa is the mountain described in the Greek texts. In addition, Plato clearly states that Atlantis was FULL of elephants, and elephants are not native nor were they ever native to the north atlantic.
They are, however, native to the Indies. In addition, the elephant was worshipped as a powerful animal. Most closely related to Ganish of the Hindu religion.
Moreover, the Hindu religion makes COUNTLESS references to atlantis/eden/lemuria...and the indies are very close to india, which also makes sense as to why it would be in the indies.

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 03:03 AM
link   
You indeed did your homework.But why only discover Atlantas but not North America thats right by its doorstep?

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 03:05 AM
link   
Better still why are there caucasian type cultures and not Native north american cultures displayed like the Cherokees?

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 06:19 AM
link   
Blacksteel im not sure exactly what your question is...however, you need to realize that when atlantis was around the face of the earth was quite different, and in fact my have been HUGELY different, but again what is your question? I'm not exactly following.

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 10:57 AM
link   
No, I don't think it's real and the evidences of its NOT being real are many.

In cases where there IS a lost city or lost civilization, many traces remain. Take Troy, for instance: in addition to the tales of Troy, there were also a number of Greek plays that referred to Troy. There were tales of heroes from Troy (turned into plays and songs and written down by the Greeks) and there were other references (and archaeological evidences) to be found in the area.

There is nothing in antiquity about Atlantis except that one mention of Plato. There is no mention of it anywhere in ancient Egypt (the "sea kings" are Phoenecians; not Atlanteans.) There's no tales of its destruction in other civilizations.

There's no pottery... no nothing.

It is a teaching fable of Socrates and as real as Hogwarts is.

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 11:17 AM
link   
Troy though, happened during the time of the Greeks.

Atlantis is a much older tale...

Personally, I fully believe the South American continent is Atlantis, and that only the capital city of the same name is what sank...

www.geocities.com...

This site fits Plato's descriptions to a T, right down to even a local legend of the city sinking, as well as the red, white, and black stones, dimensions, continental location, surrounded by hills, canal to the sea, alternating belts of sea and land, etc. etc.

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 11:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Byrd
No, I don't think it's real and the evidences of its NOT being real are many.
There is nothing in antiquity about Atlantis except that one mention of Plato. There is no mention of it anywhere in ancient Egypt (the "sea kings" are Phoenecians; not Atlanteans.) There's no tales of its destruction in other civilizations.

Hi Byrd
I like reading your posts as you seem learned on the subject of ancient civilisations. However I must disagree with you.
Is it not true (I forget where I heard this) that Plato heard the story of Atlantis from a Greek traveller who was told the story by an Egyptian priest? I will try to find evidence of this(if true) tomorrow. Also, I believe that just because there is only one source, doesn't make it a myth. If Atlantis dissapeared beneath the sea, would not all traces lie at the bottom of the Atlantic (for example) if Atlantis was situated (as I believe) around the Azores? We have not explored much of the vast ocean beds, so the traces you speak of could be under tons of silt at the bottom, is this not a possibility?
People escaping from a natural disaster like a flood, would hardly have time to bring anything with them, therefore we would not expect to find any traces. However the traces we do see of the survivors knowledge and influence are scattered throughout the world. The pyramidal structures in S. America, Egypt, Far East, for example, along with similar legends, beliefs, mathematical knowledge, similar level of understanding of the cosmos, etc. You can obviously interpret all these any way you like, but my belief is that it points to the lost civilisation of Atlantis.

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Byrd

Byrd and I are friends, but we have an ongoing friendly war over this. Nothing, only if Cherokee tribal legends are ignored. Myths of many cultures, language and cultural fragments, step pyramids with Greek designs in America, and tsunamic innundations in the geologic record. Byrd, too, claims Cherokee ancestry, but she is of an Academic frame of mind and there is a lot of pressure to think a certain way in Academia. The idea that 'American Indian Savages' (misnomer) might have conquered the Mediterranean over ten thousand years ago is just too much. For American academics.

But I have some new ammunition, and I am going to start a new thread about it. Three vulcanologists- including one Professor Emeritus from UC- have concluded in print that Native legends have a basis in fact and provide critical clues to geologic catastrophes.

American science can be shortsighted. Plato is talking about an event that took place over ten thousand years ago. Native Americans travel light, leave few traces. We have little resistance to European diseases, so any 'invasion' would be short lived with few survivors. What survived would be legend and culture. Like feathered head-dresses, and step pyramids. I always remember that 'everything we do is in a circle', and if you get in a boat on the Tigris, make it down to the ocean and go right around the latitude line, every culture you touch will have common word roots in its language. I picture a slowly-churning multigenerational-journeys prehistoric maritime culture circling that latitude line, slowly. Before a geophysical catastrophe disrupted the cycle.

Well, off to make that thread. Oh, by the way, we always have and still do call North America 'turtle island'. Both continents together, 'The Turtle Islands'. Get two turtles to kiss and you get the picture.

Archaeology is intensely political. Ask a Jew, or Palestinian

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Is it not true (I forget where I heard this) that Plato heard the story of Atlantis from a Greek traveller who was told the story by an Egyptian priest?

The Egyptian priest was "Solon".

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by celticniall
Hi Byrd
I like reading your posts as you seem learned on the subject of ancient civilisations. However I must disagree with you.
Is it not true (I forget where I heard this) that Plato heard the story of Atlantis from a Greek traveller who was told the story by an Egyptian priest?

Solon. The "tale told by a traveler" is a popular literary device. We don't know one way or another whether Solon really existed -- but we do know that Atlantis doesn't show up in the writings of any other civilization

(g) (Chakotay and I will politely disagree on this. Love the conversations, though.)

If Atlantis dissapeared beneath the sea, would not all traces lie at the bottom of the Atlantic

It's supposed to have been a great trading civilization. We can trace patterns of trade by the goods that show up (and are imitated) in other places. Among the North American Indians, we see patterns of trade that stretch from the northernmost headwaters of the Mississippi all the way into central and southern Texas.

Tin from Great Britain shows up in the Middle East... and so forth.

There's some ambiguous stuff (there's a few sites that may be Nordic runes in North America) but that would have been a farily minor route for the Norse involved. When a major trade route is involved, you have lots of goods flowing between the countries.

However the traces we do see of the survivors knowledge and influence are scattered throughout the world.

I haven't studied diasporas and their stories that extensively, so I don't know. However, I don't think this will hold up since it's supposed to be an "advanced civilization" and we don't see any extraordinarly advanced older civilizations (like ...ah... going from aborigine to People Using Computers in the space of 300 years.)

The pyramidal structures in S. America, Egypt, Far East, for example, along with similar legends, beliefs, mathematical knowledge, similar level of understanding of the cosmos, etc.

Well, the pyramid is a pretty easy shape to do. One almost global convention is that houses have 4 walls (a basic box structure) and this really isn't a "shared global knowledge"... it's just the easiest thing to construct after you learn to make brick and find out that the way you made tent houses won't work for brick houses.

There aren't many similar Really Old legends. More modern ones (300 BC and onward) may show similarities, but that's because of cultural contact.

Mathematical knowledge... well... Hindus had some wonderful mathematical philosophy that was on par with the Greeks and Babylonians, but the Babylonians went heavily into engineering formulas and the Greeks developed symbolic mathematics -- a real mish-mash of knowledge that's interesting and exciting, but not derived from some common origin as far as I can tell.

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 03:22 PM
link   
How do you explain the accounts of cocoa, tobacco, etc. in Egyptian mummies, or the pre-Columbian sculptures of caucasians, lions, and other African beasts in South America if they never had trade?

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
How do you explain the accounts of cocoa, tobacco, etc. in Egyptian mummies, or the pre-Columbian sculptures of caucasians, lions, and other African beasts in South America if they never had trade?

Links, m'friend? Links...?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join