It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Attention ALL Members RE: *Social/Role Playing Threads on OT*

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 03:13 PM
link   
The staff has noticed a mild surge in the number of "Social/Role Playing" threads in the ATS Off Topic forums (Chit Chat primarily) which in and of itself is not a problem until they get too large (several hundreds of pages and thousands of replies) and start lagging the database or, worse yet, violate our Terms and Conditions.

We are closing the existing threads that are over 400 pages and any threads that repeatedly violate our TAC.

Our beloved volunteer staff shouldn't have to spend inordinate amounts of time moderating what should be fun and engaging off topic social content. We understand the enjoyment some of our members derive from these social threads and that's why we're trying to accommodate them, but this is fair warning that we won't tolerate any sexual innuendo, cleverly (or not so cleverly) disguised discussion about the use of drugs, or anything else that is in direct violation of our TAC.

So please, if you enjoy these threads, show some respect for the venue that makes it possible for them to be so busy by virtue of a huge and active membership and abide by the rules. Please don't think that because a thread is super busy and moving fast that you "slip one in" and none of the staff will notice, this announcement should suffice to prove that idea totally wrong. We know who has been "naughty" and we're letting it go this one time, but, now that everyone has been infromed about what's expected we won't be giving Mulligans going forward.

The threads that are being closed may be restarted but please heed the warning above, tone it way down and keep it within the Terms and Conditions or we will be left with no choice but to not allow any threads of this nature. Please don't be the one who spoils it for everyone else.

Springer...
edit on 2-27-2014 by Springer because: corrected error in page number limit

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 03:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Springer

I guess that means the "Mood Music" thread will be closed (900+ pages), but on threads like that which don't violate T&C's can they start anew from a page 1 without being canned for being a duplicate?

edit on 2/27/2014 by Chamberf=6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 03:57 PM
link   
really......

I can understand closing down huge threads that cause lag (i will be sad for some of them to go)

but.....

so no sexual innuendos,

Good to know that maw n pop will be stopping those i guess.....

Heaven forbid that we, you know, actually talk like responsible adults, with a dash of sexual, adult humor chucked in for good measure.

You know i really do like the fact that on ATS we dont have threads that are just full of insults and swearing, i would never want to change that.

But sometimes, when i read this announcements i feel like I am a 7 year old again getting a row from teacher for being "Naughty" because i used the word "will...." ahhh wait, thats right no sexual innuendo.......

We are all adults, why can ATS not just have a blanket rule that says "no insulting each other off topic and no use of profanity "

Done.

I am sure it would make life much easier for us all rather than this nonsense about using sexual innuendo, not talking about certain leafy substances, and worrying about "manners and decorum" every time i have to respond to someone who has just made the most idiotic thread about another martian rock.

sorry dude, dont mean to sound so critical, like i say, i love the way that we dont have a board full of insults but sometimes, feels like we are being mothered a little too much. thats all.

edit on 27-2-2014 by OtherSideOfTheCoin because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 03:58 PM
link   
Well I for one will be sad to see the Music and Funny pic threads go if this applies to those as well....

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 04:16 PM
link   
reply to post by OtherSideOfTheCoin

You should try to imagine how I feel having to write announcements like these. If only the real world ATS has to exist in and support itself were as simple "don't insult" and "don't swear", it'd be easy peasy. Sadly, it's not.

I don't have a clue where you got the idea ATS was all "adults" either.

sigh...
edit on 2-27-2014 by Springer because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Springer

You should try to imagine how I feel having to write announcements like these.

sigh...

there there Springer.... we still wuv you

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 04:23 PM
link   

We are all adults

Don't assume....ats is open to all of every age.
If I was a parent and my kid was on here...I would have to agree with Springer as i wouldn't want them exposed to sexual comments.

I love how this site keeps things fairly tight when it comes to conduct...its like a site for ladies and gentlemen.
No douchyness allowed..I like that.

edit on 27-2-2014 by DrumsRfun because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 04:30 PM
link   

This is not an "adult" site. There are many members under the age of 18 that visit and read the site anonymously, and many that are members. There are, however, numerous adult sites where you can discuss adult things with other adults if that's what you're looking for.

From the Terms and Conditions:

15b.) Profanity: You will not use profanity in our forums on the Websites, and will neither Post with language or content that is obscene, sexually oriented, or sexually suggestive nor link to sites that contain such content. You will also not use common alternative spellings or net-speak alternative for profane words.

Also:

24) Right of Community Management. This is a privately owned discussion board community. TAN reserves the right to take action against any member, or member Posting, which is deemed to be devoted purely to disruption, represents behavior contrary to community building, or in cases where the content is contrary to the core ideals of the Websites. This action may include removal of your Posting and/or complete banning of your username and IP address. TAN reserves the right to eliminate or edit any content deemed inappropriate for the discussion boards, news network or any affiliated sites. TAN reserves the right to establish limits on topics that may be discussed if, in their opinion, the discussion of those topics attract an audience that is counterproductive to maintaining the ideals set forth in the Terms and Conditions of Use and the Terms and Conditions of Membership.

I hope the above answers any questions and settles that particular matter.

edit on 27-2-2014 by _BoneZ_ because: punctuation

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 04:58 PM
link   
I love ATS too much to cause any trouble. If I got banned I would die! LOL
I do have to say that I am very sad though to see some threads go. I was especially crushed over seeing a couple closed. In the end...it is not my site and I must respect the rules of the admins. Just whatever you do...Do NOT ban me! LOL

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 05:09 PM
link   
so collaborative writing efforts are no longer allowed? I remember one long running one the space opera was a collaborative effort...everyone wrote their part of the story..

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 05:11 PM
link   

HomerinNC
so collaborative writing efforts are no longer allowed? I remember one long running one the space opera was a collaborative effort...everyone wrote their part of the story..

Of course they are still available for all our members, so long as they do so within the collaborative writing forum.

~Tenth

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 05:11 PM
link   
Duplicate Post.
edit on 2/27/2014 by tothetenthpower because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 05:16 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

Thank you my friend, I think you just made ALOT of people happy

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 05:34 PM
link   
Please READ this part anyone who fears the end is nigh...

Springer

The threads that are being closed may be restarted but please heed the warning above, tone it way down and keep it within the Terms and Conditions or we will be left with no choice but to not allow any threads of this nature. Please don't be the one who spoils it for everyone else.

Springer...

Thank you.

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 05:35 PM
link   
Maybe a list of threads that were closed??

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 05:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Springer

What if,after those threads that are closed, I was wondering if it would be ok to start a volume 2?

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 05:57 PM
link   
Hiya Springer.

I hope you are well.

Could I just ask for a little clarification please?

If I were to say things like;

*Tsu strolls into thread and waves,"

or

*Tsu puts kettle on"

Is that OK? I think people are worried that we cannot say things like this and there seems to be confusion.

I understand the bit about not speaking about illegal things and bearing in mind a young audience but what about general roleplay such as the above examples?

Thank you for your time,

Tsu

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 06:00 PM
link   
reply to post by The Utopian Penguin

To quote Springer:

Yes, they can be restarted, provided they follow the guidelines above.

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 06:09 PM
link   

Springer

You should try to imagine how I feel having to write announcements like these. If only the real world ATS has to exist in and support itself were as simple "don't insult" and "don't swear", it'd be easy peasy. Sadly, it's not.

I don't have a clue where you got the idea ATS was all "adults" either.

sigh...
edit on 2-27-2014 by Springer because: (no reason given)

Lol.I've founded several theme/role playing groups on an early text message site.People were who joined were to assume a role and ad lib with the other characters.It encouraged creativity

I don't think this is the place for such and though I check in daily never even noticed!
Oh what the hell.I created"Gravestone,Arizona,a haunted mansion with various"monsters"and an insomiac group 24 Hour dog house.

edit on CSTThupm4661 by TDawg61 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 06:11 PM
link   

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join