It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do you know "the old man"?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 08:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Chamberf=6

There now, was that really so painful?

If you look up 'usage' in that dictionary/encyclopaedia of yours you will understand why 'coined the usage' is exactly correct.

I shan't belabour the Bertrand Russell point, but shall simply quote this:

The strong emotional reactions after the assassination or death of a public figure, such as a president or king, movie star or religious figure, show that for many persons the particular figure carried an archetypal projection.

The source of that quote is Jungian Dream Interpretation: A Handbook of Theory and Practice by J.A. Hall, one of a series of psychology textbooks written by Jungian analysts. And yes, it was Jung who invented (coined) the usage 'archetype of the collective unconscious'. Before he came along, 'archetype' just meant model or pattern. Which is meaningless in the context of this discussion.

My objection is to the woowoo idea that archetypes have some kind of independent paraphysical existence — an idea articulated by so many on this thread. Interpreted so, the 'old man' (or any other archetype) is no different from a ghost, spirit, demon, alien or similar imaginary being — a revenant from the prehistory of thought. The Jungian concept of the archetype is a way of explaining these visitations within the framework of psychological analysis. I'm not saying it's correct (Jung was a bit woowoo himself) but it's a lot better than believing in old men in the sky who leave crescent-shaped marks between people's shoulder-blades when they're not looking.

Or don't you think so?

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 08:31 PM
link   
reply to post by took red pill

That's not her moustache, those are her eyebrows.

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 11:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: bangoli
I've met the old man, though the details were very specific. In a dream I entered a large room in my house with a
table in the middle, and there he sat accompanied by two other people on each side. All three wore hooded cloaks, though
I couldn't see the faces of his companions as their hoods were drawn up, nor did they communicate with me in any way. His hood was down. He was balding slightly and had beautiful silver hair. His face resembled George Carlin very much. I asked what they were doing in my house and he replied that he was there for the "meeting." I asked "what meeting?" He replied "Our meeting." I
was puzzled at this and in a moment we were both standing in the middle of a large family gathering, invisible to the guests.

He told me that his name was John, that he was a doctor, and had been with me since birth. He also told me exactly when my
grandmother would pass away, down to the minute. (5:55 a.m.) He said I needed to know this because I would be the only one
with her at the time of death, and that I was much closer to her than I knew. (We were extremely close already.) This is the part
I haven't figured out yet.

Since my encounter with him my brother has also met him as well as my father. They were never spoken to, though. Only watched over and he was accompanied by the two silent companions at either side as well.

Hi Bangoli

Have there been anymore visits since this post? Or are there any other visits that you left out? I'm extremely curious 'cause your description of the old man is similar to the old man I have met many times but am still mystified as to his origins. I posted a link to my visits earlier in this thread. I'll u2u the link to you if you can't find it, maybe it will remind you of something you've forgotten . . .

STM
edit on 30-5-2014 by seentoomuch because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 8 2016 @ 12:34 AM
link   
*Bump*

'Cause I'm really curious if anyone else has seen the old man and I'll bump it again tomorrow to see if any of the day crowd have seen him.

STM
edit on 8-4-2016 by seentoomuch because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join