It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Most-Wanted Drug Lord Is Captured in Mexico

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2014 @ 12:32 PM
link   

MEXICO CITY — The world’s most-wanted drug kingpin, Joaquín Guzmán Loera, known as El Chapo, has been captured, a senior American law enforcement official said Saturday, ending a 13-year manhunt for the chief supplier of illegal drugs to the United States and much of the world.

Mr. Guzmán, whose nickname means Shorty, had eluded the authorities time and again since he escaped from a prison in a laundry basket just before an extradition order to the United States. He faces a bounty of drug trafficking and other charges stemming from a multibillion-dollar drug empire.

Most-Wanted Drug Lord Is Captured in Mexico

After a 13 year hunt for "Chapo" Guzman, he has finally been apprehended. Will his capture have any effect on the war on drugs? I'd hope so.

There was some uncertainty of what he actually looked like, allowing American Officials to 'believe' they have the right guy.

I'd really like to see a change, a positive change come to Mexico. The drug epidemic is one of those things that keeps us dormant in more than 1 way.

But as I see the rise in positive, I also see the fall of the negative. A process which is coming to light, and we are the one's to continue to guide it.

Your thoughts?

posted on Feb, 22 2014 @ 12:35 PM
link   
This is very good news. This guy and his posy like to post you tube videos of beheadings and skinning people while alive. What will his followers do without him?

posted on Feb, 22 2014 @ 12:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Oozii

After a 13 year hunt for "Chapo" Guzman, he has finally been apprehended. Will his capture have any effect on the war on drugs? I'd hope so.

Considering how many people have been captured and put away since the inception of the 'war', I don't think it will have any effect at all. Even if they were able to eradicate this particular problem at the source, the demand would exist where people would simply turn to something else.

It's like playing the whack a mole game at the fair.

posted on Feb, 22 2014 @ 12:41 PM
link   
Don't you think if they get the head honcho they can more easily get the rest? I'm sure he has records at his various homes. It can't be that hard to find those who worked under him. They need to do life with these guys - no 20-30 year stuff. Add murder to the list and this is possible.

posted on Feb, 22 2014 @ 12:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Oozii

Little impact on the cross border drug trade.

Though it will likely be bad for a lot of people. There will be gruesome murders, beheadings and a new wave of violence in Mexico, turf battles between drug gangs and rivals. Some of it may spill across the border into the USA.

IMO.

posted on Feb, 22 2014 @ 12:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Oozii

So did this man have any part in Fast and Furious? Was he running drugs supplied by the americans? Seems kind of like hanging Saddam who was a nasty enemy but once a supported ally. This kind of news just seems like fluff to any real change. I do hope i am wrong and the world works as we are told it works. Good luck mexico. SNF

posted on Feb, 22 2014 @ 12:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Oozii

This guy was a total monster, knowing he is in custody is a good thing... Unfortunately, history proves that a new leader will be plugged in immediately... For actual "change" to happen, both the Mexican and US Govts need to put more emphasis on crippling the cartels and not just taking a leader down every once in a while...

posted on Feb, 22 2014 @ 12:50 PM
link   
The government deludes themselves thinking this will weaken the trade. No it won't, the illicit drug trade thrives because there are customers for the goods they sell. If they REALLY want to deliver a crippling blow, we need to legalize/tightly regulate. Nobody's going to pay for the old stuff with the "smuggler's premium" on it when the legalized stuff is cheaper. It's capitalism, if you have it, they will buy it, and if you have it cheaper, they will flock your way.

However, I hope whoever fills the power vacuum void (and it will happen) isn't as brutal. I doubt that'll actually happen, but one can hope it does.
edit on 2/22/2014 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2014 @ 12:56 PM
link   
Strictly a public relations gag like whacking Osama.............
Nothing will change.......Drugs will continue to pour into the USA on CIA airplanes
And lots more will die horrifically to keep them flowing.
That includes the victims of the drugs as well as the war on drugs...as well as the drug wars....
its all scripted for maximum profits...
gotta keep them black ops boys knee deep in blood ya know....

posted on Feb, 22 2014 @ 12:56 PM
link   
When you have cia planes falling out of the sky while headed north with tons of coke on board, and things like fast and furious with the AG running guns to the cartels...the feds sueing the border states for enforcing border laws...and border patrol agents like campion and ramos being thrown in jail for shooting back at, and arresting drug trafickers who are slipping across the border...

odds are this is either not the man or he is just being bent over and saddamized
edit on 22-2-2014 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2014 @ 01:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Nyiah

The Zeta's will fight with others to take over the customer base. Someone said above - more violence to follow and I agree with this. I know it's dangerous but this is an opportunity to get in there and whittle this down so it isn't as big of a problem. This is not a time to celebrate for authorities - it's a time to work harder than ever before to get ahead of it a bit.

I'm also for legalizing some of the drugs they smuggle, and while that will help somewhat it will not stop it because they will just lower their prices. They would also continue with weapons trading and human trafficking.

I have to wonder whose lives will be lost due to this arrest and what plans he has made for escape. Will the president be a target? Certain police personnel?

posted on Feb, 22 2014 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Ever heard of a hydra?

This be one.

posted on Feb, 22 2014 @ 01:01 PM
link   
I'm shocked at the degree people seek moral relativism anymore to downplay two legged monsters.

The head of a Cartel isn't the Good Humor man and whatever the "Big Picture" has or doesn't have for impact after this one is removed is totally irrelevant to my thinking. We could have a nation of 330 million raving psychopathic murderers, to the last person...and THAT individual man won't have gotten one iota less guilty or less drenched in the blood of the innocents killed through Mexico's civil war. A war HE has been instrumental in leading from the Cartel side.

I'm sorry they took him alive at all...but since they have his sorry butt and he'd already been on a valid extradition order to the land of Prisons you can't buy your freedom from? I hope he's headed north real soon. I'm sure they have a cell waiting for him at Florence. A deep sublevel one, I'd hope. Perhaps he can even live without benefit of sunlight, let alone free air. That would be fitting in that case, I believe.

posted on Feb, 22 2014 @ 01:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Nyiah

Well actually since they've legalized weed in colorado, it's more expensive to buy it in any shops because of the ridiculous taxes. Not saying I'm against it, but there will always be a black market.

posted on Feb, 22 2014 @ 01:11 PM
link   
Supply and demand.

As long as there is a demand for illegal commodities, naturally the most evil and despicable people are going to rise up and supply that demand.

There will never be a shortage of evil and despicable people, there will never be an end to the supply.

The only real enemy in the war on drugs is the demand.

posted on Feb, 22 2014 @ 02:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Oozii

Wow, this will probably do as much as the capture of Pablo Escobar--absolutely nothing.

The drug war cannot be won, but it can be waged for decades, and that is way good for budgets.

posted on Feb, 22 2014 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Salander
reply to post by Oozii

Wow, this will probably do as much as the capture of Pablo Escobar--absolutely nothing.

The drug war cannot be won, but it can be waged for decades, and that is way good for budgets.

Another little note... The Cartels run human beings as much as they run any substance to entertain them. The prostitutes in mexico are warehoused, fed and worked like livestock and it'd be Cartel brands they'd sport on their fannies if they actually marked them for ownership. The human smuggling is only one aspect to add to that, where the ones not worked to illness or death in the Mexican whorehouses are run north over the border with the migrant workers. Just another bunch of cargo, to those animals...and too bad if a few cases drop off along the way...(Cases of cargo in this case, being real human beings)

Drugs or no drugs....and none being better as the T&C issue is real here ....Cartels diversified to far worse things than that, a long time ago.
edit on 22-2-2014 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2014 @ 02:32 PM
link   
I doubt this will affect anything. The guy is crazy rich and already escaped prison before in 2001. I wouldn't be surprised if he "escapes" again. Even if he doesn't, the guy behind him is already in charge with business continuing as usual.

top topics

join