It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Forums: Which one?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 21 2014 @ 11:52 PM
link   
Semi-returning ATS member who has struggled with this in the past: Where are the forum rule descriptions for each forum? Otherwise how does one determine which forum is appropriate for one's post? I see so many "if this is not the right forum please move" threads so maybe I'm not the only one. Apologies if they're somewhere obvious and I'm not seeing them.

posted on Feb, 22 2014 @ 12:00 AM
link   

otherpotato
Semi-returning ATS member who has struggled with this in the past: Where are the forum rule descriptions for each forum? Otherwise how does one determine which forum is appropriate for one's post? I see so many "if this is not the right forum please move" threads so maybe I'm not the only one. Apologies if they're somewhere obvious and I'm not seeing them.

If you click on a forum name there is usually a "sticky" (Thread) at the top or near the top of the first page that discusses what the forum is and what can be posted there.

People are usually confused because a topic may fit into more than one forum quite easily, so if a moderator feels like it fits into another forum better than where it was originally posted, they will move it to that forum. You don't get into any kind of trouble (breaking any T&C's) if you post to the wrong forum, the mods just move it for you.

Welcome back.

edit on 2/22/2014 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2014 @ 01:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Kangaruex4Ewe

Please direct me to the ones for the Survival Forum or Food and Cooking. I can't find them.

posted on Feb, 22 2014 @ 01:32 AM
link   
What did your last slave die from?

Survival

Cooking

posted on Feb, 22 2014 @ 01:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Kandinsky

Where are the rules/forum guidelines for each of these? Direct me directly to those THANKS.

And WTH is the slave refernce?
edit on 22-2-2014 by otherpotato because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2014 @ 01:43 AM
link   

otherpotato

Please direct me to the ones for the Survival Forum or Food and Cooking. I can't find them.

If you are talking about showing you a description of what threads go in that forum, there are some forums that do not have them. That's why I said ... "usually".

Some forums are pretty cut and dry and I suppose the mods don't feel like they need to describe what kind of threads can go into the "Food & Cooking" forum.

Other forums, like the Breaking News forum have threads like this: www.abovetopsecret.com...

US Political Madness: www.abovetopsecret.com...

Posse Comitatus: www.abovetopsecret.com...

These forums have more room to be confused about what belongs there. Thus the "stickies".

posted on Feb, 22 2014 @ 01:49 AM
link   
reply to post by otherpotato

The rules for the Survival forum are simple : Don't annoy Semper

The rules for Food and Cooking aren't stickied. As long as your threads in there are about food and cooking there shouldn't be any issues.

Now make me a sammich!

posted on Feb, 22 2014 @ 01:52 AM
link   

Yes, well "Food and Cooking" is pretty straightforward I guess. "Survival" really isn't. Where can I find the description for that one.

And all of the forums don't have an anchor description at the very top. I'm happy to be proven wrong on this point.

posted on Feb, 22 2014 @ 01:55 AM
link   

I'm not a survivalist I'm a gardener. Where should my threads be posted.

posted on Feb, 22 2014 @ 02:11 AM
link   

otherpotato

I'm not a survivalist I'm a gardener. Where should my threads be posted.

There are a lot of gardening threads in the Survival Forum.

Ex. 1 - www.abovetopsecret.com...

Ex. 2 - www.abovetopsecret.com...

So I would say it's safe to post gardening threads in that forum since there are many that are already there.

posted on Feb, 22 2014 @ 02:56 AM
link   

I'm well aware that there are gardening threads in the Survival Forum. Can I then interpret that the Survival forum is open to anything, since there's no explicit criteria for what's in or what's out? As long as people are "Surviving"?

posted on Feb, 22 2014 @ 03:04 AM
link   

otherpotato

I'm well aware that there are gardening threads in the Survival Forum. Can I then interpret that the Survival forum is open to anything, since there's no explicit criteria for what's in or what's out? As long as people are "Surviving"?

At this rate, I think you are free to interpret it in any way that makes you happy. I'll let Kandinsky or another mod decide if they want to make a forum description "sticky" in the survival forum that appeases you.

Post away. If it gets moved the world will still spin right along.

edit on 2/22/2014 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2014 @ 03:14 AM
link   
I have always used this very complex and highly accurate means for deciding which forum to open a post in. "Roll the Dice, and Pay the Price" get it wrong and the mods come for you like the Nazgul! Just kidding mods! your REALLY great !

But if you think that each "forum" should have a paradigm (I used paradigm - cool) feel free to set some up and run them by the Nazgul, sorry, mods (who are really great by the way!
) it can't hurt, well not much anyway. Cheers !

posted on Feb, 22 2014 @ 03:24 AM
link   
reply to post by otherpotato

Most of the forums used to have a description at the top of the page within each thread, and these are obviously the ones you are thinking of.
In the Theology forum it was "Discuss all things spiritual and share your own faith-based experiences".
These all disappeared in the most recent reconstruction of ATS at the end of last year.
So the moderators presumably shift threads between forums on the basis of remembering what the descriptions used to be, while the newcomers are left to guess at the difference between "Predictions and Prophecies" and "Dreams and Predictions".
I think they should come back.

edit on 22-2-2014 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2014 @ 01:21 AM
link   
If you post in a "wrong forum", no harm no foul, it will be moved. Hell, I have posted maybe ten topics that were totally removed, and I never got a ban or even a warning for it. Mods and admin here are pretty forgiving and understanding. Moved plenty of times as well. This is a user generated topic site, it's in the best interest of the site to do everything possible to keep members posting, let alone banning and pissing off people that post topics.

top topics

join