It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Exclusive: How Ukraine Wooed Conservative Websites

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 10:09 PM
link   

WASHINGTON — Several conservative bloggers repeated talking points given to them by a proxy group for the Ukrainian government — and at least one writer was paid by a representative of the Ukrainian group, according to documents and emails obtained by BuzzFeed. The Ukrainian campaign began in the run-up to high-stakes Ukrainian parliamentary elections last year, and sought to convince skeptical American conservatives that the pro-Russian Party of Regions, led by President Viktor Yanukovych, deserved American support. During that period, articles echoing Ukrainian government talking points appeared on leading conservative online outlets, including RedState, Breitbart, and Pajamas Media.

This is totally unacceptable. Can't push the Conservative agenda at home so they gotta foist on a nation that has nothing to do with any of anything in America? Disgusting. I hope none of those tools get another writing gig for the rest of their lives. Of course that would require people to not make excuses for this, which aint gonna happen.

Ugh!
edit on 2/20/2014 by Kali74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 10:13 PM
link   
WTF is Pajamas Media?

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 10:15 PM
link   
reply to post by LadySkadi

PJ Media, PJ Tatler

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 10:21 PM
link   

LadySkadi
WTF is Pajamas Media?

Conservative opinion and commentary website.
URL here

Standard hard right stuff.
(basically, if a website suggests Fox News is a liberal outpost...yeah)

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 10:25 PM
link   
Ah, so commentary type stuff... Maybe it would have made more of an effective "campaign" if they solicited/ targeted a forum the general public actually heard of...

edit on 20-2-2014 by LadySkadi because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 10:27 PM
link   
reply to post by LadySkadi

These are hugely popular sites.

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 10:29 PM
link   
Ok, so why is this unacceptable? It's conservative commentary (on supposed known conservative sites) that don't claim unbiased news reporting?

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 11:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Kali74

You might look at the "Debate" on Democracy Now about Ukaine.

www.democracynow.org...

It's painful to watch the New York professor tell the Ukrainian Researcher that he has it all wrong. The arrogance is astounding.

posted on Feb, 21 2014 @ 08:09 AM
link   

LadySkadi
Ok, so why is this unacceptable? It's conservative commentary (on supposed known conservative sites) that don't claim unbiased news reporting?

To me it's unacceptable to have western 'media' propagandizing for a neo-Soviet leader of a country we have nothing to do with. Not to mention having someone at Breitbart or anyone at PJ Media given credence as any kind of journalist when they are guilty of garnering support for a man so ruthless he has protesters gunned down in the streets for protesting austerity and corruption and the backing out of a trade deal with the EU, is completely outrageous.
edit on 2/21/2014 by Kali74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2014 @ 08:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Kali74

To me it's unacceptable to have western 'media' propagandizing for a neo-Soviet leader of a country we have nothing to do with. Not to mention having someone at Breitbart or anyone at PJ Media given credence as any kind of journalist when they are guilty of garnering support for a man so ruthless he has protesters gunned down in the streets for protesting austerity and corruption and the backing out of a trade deal with the EU, is completely outrageous.

This is weird, but not lacking irony. The way i read it, this was western conservative bloggers propagandizing in support of the anti-russian/pro EU policies of the (current) Ukranian Government. It's about about a list of talking points to be used in right-wing blog articles, aimed at american conservatives. That was back in 2012. Which would make much more sense.

From the list.

BACKGROUND INFO FOR MESSAGING (NOT FOR PUBLIC DISTRIBUTION)

Pivoting Towards the E.U. – Ukraine’s Economic Future

Ukraine is fully committed to integration into the E.U. – this is one of the priorities of the current administration. Furthermore, Ukraine is ready to undertake the tough measures needed to implement the Association Agreement, which is the next step in the E.U. ascension process.

As part of this effort, Ukrainian authorities are undertaking an effort to transform Ukraine into a more transparent market economy in line with European standards. And results are already apparent: despite the global economic slowdown, Ukraine’s economy grew by 4.2% in 2010 and 5.2% in 2011 with exports growing 37% in 2011.

President Putin is also actively trying to bring Ukraine back into Russia’s sphere of influence by pushing the country to join its Customs Union, designed to rival the EU.

The EU Association Agreement, which the Ukraine is actively pursing, is seen as incompatible with Customs Union membership and Ukraine has demonstrated a clear preference to joining Europe.

The EU cannot turn its back on Ukraine at this pivotal moment; this is an opportunity to firmly bring Ukraine into the Western order, an outcome that is favoured by both Ukraine and the West.

posted on Feb, 21 2014 @ 09:55 AM
link   
reply to post by talklikeapirat

Seems it was a trap as the Ukraine President is now visibly allied with Putin. Either way, Western media'ites' have no business spreading propaganda for other nations.

posted on Feb, 21 2014 @ 09:59 AM
link   

LadySkadi

To many people...if your opinion is a hair right of center, you're an extremist nutcase. Of course, many of these same people will tell you Obama is a right winger, and they'll keep a straight face while doing it. (Awards should be given for best in category on that one. It's a fine bit of showmanship)

Personally, I'm so sick of the right/left gotcha game played just to screw with each other and nothing more productive to ever be gained? I could just throw my hands up some days and lose hope for any future we may collectively have. We're far too busy finding ways to label and divide ourselves from each other to ever stop and accomplish anything positive at all. (sigh)

Now we're coming to be told we should support another one of McCain and Co's civil wars to order .....and I'll drop dead before I'll back another US Sponsored death trap in what had been a stable and viable developed nation prior to our "help and guidance".
edit on 21-2-2014 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2014 @ 10:15 AM
link   

Wrabbit2000

LadySkadi

To many people...if your opinion is a hair right of center, you're an extremist nutcase. Of course, many of these same people will tell you Obama is a right winger, and they'll keep a straight face while doing it. (Awards should be given for best in category on that one. It's a fine bit of showmanship)

Personally, I'm so sick of the right/left gotcha game played just to screw with each other and nothing more productive to ever be gained? I could just throw my hands up some days and lose hope for any future we may collectively have. We're far too busy finding ways to label and divide ourselves from each other to ever stop and accomplish anything positive at all. (sigh)

Now we're coming to be told we should support another one of McCain and Co's civil wars to order .....and I'll drop dead before I'll back another US Sponsored death trap in what had been a stable and viable developed nation prior to our "help and guidance".

Umm....... what?

posted on Feb, 21 2014 @ 10:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Kali74

Nothing to concern you, Kali. I was replying specifically to another member on this thread, and apparently, nothing you recognized to have a comment either way with. Thanks for the reply to state that.

posted on Feb, 21 2014 @ 10:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Oh I recognized it alright. I'm not dense.
Anything on topic to say?

PS Where's my trophy?

posted on Feb, 21 2014 @ 10:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Kali74

You take care of yourself Kali..and recall, we never own our threads. Not even remotely close. We just build them, nurture them and send them out into the wild to sink or swim by the merits of the content. Some sink faster than others..and some deserve to, more than others. It's all perceptions and opinions....which we each have the right to express without being singled out for ridicule or undue attention off topic from the statement made.

Indeed... Opinions vary. Always have. Always will....and while we bicker more over invented divisions and perceived slights......innocent people charged up to go die for other people's causes are doing so in both Ukraine and Syria. What a wonderful world men like McCain and Obama have given us. What a legacy........

(hops off off to find less partisan pastures to nibble)

posted on Feb, 21 2014 @ 10:30 AM
link   

Wrabbit2000
reply to post by Kali74

You take care of yourself Kali..and recall, we never own our threads. Not even remotely close. We just build them, nurture them and send them out into the wild to sink or swim by the merits of the content. Some sink faster than others..and some deserve to, more than others. It's all perceptions and opinions....which we each have the right to express without being singled out for ridicule or undue attention off topic from the statement made.

Indeed... Opinions vary. Always have. Always will....and while we bicker more over invented divisions and perceived slights......innocent people charged up to go die for other people's causes are doing so in both Ukraine and Syria. What a wonderful world men like McCain and Obama have given us. What a legacy........

(hops off off to find less partisan pastures to nibble)

Are you freaking kidding me?

posted on Feb, 21 2014 @ 12:20 PM
link   

Kali74
reply to post by talklikeapirat

Seems it was a trap as the Ukraine President is now visibly allied with Putin. Either way, Western media'ites' have no business spreading propaganda for other nations.

What ?

Never head of PressTV and RT propanganda media machines ?

Like ever ?

posted on Feb, 21 2014 @ 12:28 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

One is Russian, the other is Iranian... I don't think either of those qualify as Western.

Question for you. You like Breitbart, how do you feel about Shapiro taking money from the Ukraine President to build western support through his articles? Especially now that it's clear that he's trying to realign with Russia.

posted on Feb, 21 2014 @ 12:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Kali74

One is Russian, the other is Iranian... I don't think either of those qualify as Western.

That's right they are Eastern propaganda outlets.

Question for you. You like Breitbart, how do you feel about Shapiro taking money from the Ukraine President to build western support through his articles? Especially now that it's clear that he's trying to realign with Russia.

How is that any different than what the US government does when it sends tax payer monies overseas to 'build support' for the US.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join