It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Another Paranoid Cop, Another Innocent Murdered

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+5 more 
posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 11:10 AM
link   
These stories are becoming so common, it's disheartening.

atlanta.cbslocal.com...

The article provides a witness' description of the officer's immediate, emotional reaction upon realizing her mistake. It seems obvious to me that she, like most police officers in the US today, had been programmed to see every citizen as a criminal with a concealed weapon.

Her blood pressure must have been skyrocketing as she knocked on that door. The kid's mom would probably have taken a bullet for opening the door with a tray of cookies.

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 11:31 AM
link   
reply to post by OpenMindedRealist

Not believing in divine justice causes me to think about how to personally facilitate justice. It occupies my mind more than it probably should. Rationally, this is a dangerous road to go down against these ruthless Fascists.

With due respect to personal beliefs and such, I'm curious about how a religious person processes their need for justice? What is the threshold of action? Is there any need for action or do you fall back on the idea of heaven and hell?

How does a religious person see their place in this progression of brutality? Which is more holy --taking action outside the lines or doing nothing?

What would Jesus do?

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Yep, Wii mote now equals death.

Roupe was an ROTC student at Woodland High School and his family said he planned to join the Marines.

Tragedy,

I don't care how distraught the officer was, She needs to face at the very least manslaughter charges, but we all know its paid administrative leave.

And she will be back on the job to Protect and Serve us all...

Yay...
edit on 20-2-2014 by benrl because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Officials did not disclose if a weapon was found on the scene.

Which we know means there wasn't. Otherwise it would be quickly noted in the police defense of their actions.

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 11:41 AM
link   

At least she showed some sympathy and realised she had done bad, more than I can say for other reports.

Poor kid, very sad story.

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 11:41 AM
link   
Absolutely messed up, such a tragedy. Poor kid, was a lot like me when I was his age. I too was in the ROTC program and loved my N64/Playstation.

But this stood out to me (from OP's source) :

Supposedly, he opened the door with a BB gun...

and:

Howard says she was told that “there was a Wii remote in his hand...

Could it have been something like this?

Perhaps in that split second, all the cop saw was a kid with a gun when in reality it was a kid with a Wiimote with pistol?

All I can do is sit here and shake my head. Truly tragic.

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 12:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Auricom

and I very much doubt the kids actions where to point it in the cops face...

So its not even a direct threat that gets you shot in the face,

Soldiers in Iraq have stricter ROE than our Police force thats supposed to be protecting us...

Soldiers in combat facing the enemy, are more careful than a cop, think about that.

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Yeah, it's gotta be too scary to be a cop nowadays. Maybe that's why they shoot for candidates below a certain IQ. Easier to train out the fear factor. All the cop shows out there just reinforce that cops are literally sitting ducks in a shooting gallery. Their safety is the top priority. That's why they are almost always justified using lethal force. The truth is that cops are hardly ever murdered in the line of duty. It's more dangerous being a fisherman or a roofer or an oil worker. It's like the wild west, only civilians aren't allowed to draw on cops and get away with it.

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 02:47 PM
link   
Highly doubtful this girl will be back on the job, women in my experience, have a harder time dealing with the taking of a life esp when it turns out it wasn't for the common good, she will probably be hospitalised for a bit then released quietly to live out the rest of her days reliving the nightmare...

At the worst end of this she will probably have PTSD from the shooting and never again be able to hold down a job or anything, and be a miserable mess...which unfortunately is too good for her.

I wonder why the story doesn't talk about what the probation violation was on the father, or why the family themselves haven't made any statements, just some unnamed "witness"

And no I am not saying this woman was in the right, she obviously was not, and killing a child as I have stated before in other threads deserves the chair, or a gallows as lethal injection is too kind. I could think up 100's of wonderfully cruel punishments for her, but alas, she will prolly get disability for the rest of her years and spend the time reliving it all in therapy..

HOWEVER!!!

And here's my big point, while I may think in my head what I would like to have happen to anyone that murders a child, we do have laws in this country, and stating quite blindly that you would and are considering taking matters into your own hands, is in itself a criminal act if those actions involve the harm and murder of another.. Just sayin...

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 03:24 PM
link   
Aren't the police supposed to identify themselves when knocking on someone's door? And why did she have her gun drawn as the kid was answering it?

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 04:05 PM
link   
reply to post by buster2010

Excellent question....but you'll have to settle for never having it answered. When I was young, I knew careeer police officers that had served their communities for more than 30 years and never once had to draw their weapon. In fact I remeber my father talking to a cop friend of his and they were always mindful that they better have a damned good reason for drawing their gun...

But alas, those days are long gone. The continued militarization of our police forces will only ensure that tradgedies like this become more and more common.

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 04:09 PM
link   
reply to post by buster2010

I was wondering the very same thing. If the kid asked who was at the door the officer was required to ID herself as such. And even if he had something in his hand how did she draw and fire that quickly? Was there a history with who she was looking for? Not that it should matter as protocol wasnt followed when the kid asked who was at the door and now he's
dead. Something seems off though.

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 09:25 PM
link   
The soldiers on the USS Cole were not allowed to shoot the incoming towel heads that blew up their ship, and still werent allowed to fire even after the explosion and other boats with towel heads headed towards them, yet cops are allowed to shoot with out any danger what so ever. It really makes you think about the rule of law.

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 09:31 PM
link   

WonOunce
The soldiers on the USS Cole were not allowed to shoot the incoming towel heads that blew up their ship, and still werent allowed to fire even after the explosion and other boats with towel heads headed towards them, yet cops are allowed to shoot with out any danger what so ever. It really makes you think about the rule of law.

When these people attacked they were wearing towels on their heads? Did they just get finished washing their hair or something?

It's pretty low to bring your racist comments into a thread about a child getting shot for no reason.

posted on Feb, 21 2014 @ 01:11 AM
link   
What are people suppose to do, assume the laying on the floor with your
hands behind your head position every time anyone ever knocks on their
door? REALLY? This is just another example of poor training.

posted on Feb, 21 2014 @ 01:20 AM
link   

A key part to me seems to be that upon asking who it was, there was no response. That is a predatory tactic. Police should announce who they are AS they knock on the door. It does not take much to cover the backdoor and windows. A partner or two will do it.

All over a probation violation...

She felt that she was putting herself at risk because people naturally think something strange is going on when they hear a loud knock at the door and no one announces who they are. They feel like someone predatory is at the door, and assume it is not police because police normally announce they are police. She knew that, and that is why she was on edge. What is really sad is she was probably told to approach the situation like that.

In truth, she probably was scared of getting shot. It is a sad situation, and police training is insufficient. It is based on making the highest number of arrests and not on safety. I really wonder what he was on probation for in the first place. I know the father feels like he got his son shot. I wonder if he was even on probation for a violent crime...

If his son had known that it was the police at the door, he would not have had anything in his hands. This could have been avoided by her simply saying the words "Atlanta Police Department."

edit on 21-2-2014 by FreeWillAnomaly because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2014 @ 01:26 AM
link   

buster2010

WonOunce

When these people attacked they were wearing towels on their heads? Did they just get finished washing their hair or something?

It's pretty low to bring your racist comments into a thread about a child getting shot for no reason.

While I agree that he shouldn't have used the term towel heads, he did have a reason for saying what he said. Service members fighting overseas seem to have more risk of being charged with murder in a war zone than police do stateside in *some instances.*

posted on Feb, 21 2014 @ 01:51 AM
link   

benrl

I don't care how distraught the officer was, She needs to face at the very least manslaughter charges, but we all know its paid administrative leave.

Tut, tut! This fine officer did just as she should have. The situation was dangerous, the boy obviously aggressive and at the very least, holding a blunt object as he opened the door. The officer responded to this dangerous threat as she should have, by making sure she and the other Heroes with her went home at the end of the shift. The aggressive, dangerous young hoodlum could have been holding a knife, a gun, perhaps a suicide bomb. It's far better that the aggressive attack be ended as soon as possible. It's well known that by showing 'weakness' in various ways - such as talking, assessing the situation to see what's actually going on before opening fire, or otherwise hesitating to seize control of the situation immediately, firmly and terminally - can lead to injuries or worse, death, of the people who really count in such a situation, the Heroic enforcers of the Law.

I am certain that Internal Affairs and the relevant prosecuting attorney will come to the only real conclusion - this fine Hero acted appropriately, in accordance with internal policy, and of course, the law doesn't affect the Actions of Heroes unless the prosecuting attorney decides to prosecute. If he or she sees the truth and chooses not to prosecute based solely on his feelings on the matter, then there will be no prosecution. It is a privilege that all prosecuting attorneys have, and it always acts in favor of those Heroes that provide him with his job. Between the gathering of Heroes known as IA, and the servant of Heroes, the DA, the real truth is bound to emerge: this young ne'er-do-well made an aggressive gesture with a weapon and met his well-deserved fate.

I'm not sure what more you'd want - the Hero felt bad about being compelled to use force on this non-compliant aggressor. She even cried. That remorse seems to cover the situation thoroughly. I think the parents need to shampoo the carpet and just get on with life.
edit on 21-2-2014 by Bedlam because: (no reason given)

edit on 21-2-2014 by Bedlam because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2014 @ 01:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Bedlam

and her fellow officers can pat her on the back and say good job for taking care of another violent kid or potential terrorist in the line of duty

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join