It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Riot police and a sniper filmed opening fire at protesters in Kiev

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 10:30 AM
link   
Reports at the moment are talking over around 100 people killed.

Link here (warning graphic photos) : www.naplesnews.com...

Riot police are taking pot shots at demonstrators with AK47 and sniper rifles...

Welcome to the civilised world huh :

You can find the Reuters video here taking into consideration that the Youtube video may be taken down... as a few others have disappeared already

www.reuters.com...

Youtube video :

Over here in France at the moment we are getting non stop news and images of the demonstration over there of people being shot...

A Reuters photographer saw the bodies of 21 dead civilians in Independence Square, a few hundred metres from where the president met the EU delegation, after protesters who have occupied the area for almost three months hurled petrol bombs and paving stones to drive riot police from the plaza.

Link :

uk.reuters.com...

Also : According to BFM news this afternoon, almost half of Ukranian athletes have decided to quit the olympic games to return home...

The following link edited 7 hours ago talks of ONLY one athlete... :

www.ctvnews.ca...

Kindest respects

Rodinus

edit on 20/2/14 by Rodinus because: Link added

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 11:04 AM
link   
What is the whole riot about? I read somewhere it is about joining the EU? Not joining the EU...
Here in America we get to used to seeing violent protests in other parts of the world. It becomes commonplace. I don't want say we don't care, but we dont.

We do if it is brought to the forefront of media but in reality some politician having sex with a call girl will irk us more than a nations people struggling.

It is a sad state of affairs to say that the people of the US could care less about the other people in the world but its true. There is nothing I can do for them.... But doesnt mean I dont care.

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 11:19 AM
link   
If they didn't want to be treated like fighters, they shouldn't have chosen to arm themselves like fighters. It's that simple.

Rioters seize over 1,500 guns in Ukraine mayhem - security services

The Ukrainian police have been shown for a couple days now taking a real beating from the protesters and doing little or nothing in aggressive response....and that all changed like a different event entirely when they armed up to fight for real.

The Western supported fighters better be ready to fight to the death, because if Ukrainian and Russian forces decide to take out the trash for real? They'll each be fighting for nothing less, and running for their lives. It's an ignorant game they're playing and people like McCain filled their heads with visions of sunshine and lollipops. Much the same as that old warmonger did in Syria. His glory while they spill their guts all over the streets.....as it normally goes in these things.

I feel for the people who really believe in this and aren't political fighters here ...but Putin will sooner give up the Kamchatka Peninsula as a generous gift to Japan before they'll let the buffer that Ukraine forms, fall to full Western influence. This is a matter I really feel Putin may go to war over.

Why? He isn't stupid...and if US or Western power is sitting openly on the Russian border proper, and 300 or so short miles from Moscow city limits? He'll already have lost...and so he has nothing to really lose in fighting to hold the Ukraine if it comes to that.

We'll see, but people underestimate Russia at their peril....as others have in the past, to their own total destruction.

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 11:31 AM
link   
reply to post by tinner07

You should care, this is potentially more of a dangerous situation than Syria.

The fact that Ukraine is on Russia's border is extremely dangerous. This is simply another ally that Russia can't afford to lose. Especially in these circumstances.

Europe are already siding with the pro EU rioters, so this could potentially turn nasty if Russia decide that their friends need a little help.
edit on 20-2-2014 by DAZ21 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 11:40 AM
link   
Although I am on the side of the protestors, after watching a live video feed from the central square for several hours last night (before the latest row of carnage erupted) I do feel the riot police deserve much credit for their restraint thus far. There may have been a truce declared but clearly that news didn't filter down to some of the protesters on the front lines, as there were still several flinging Molotovs and fireworks while the police appeared not to retaliate (atleast as visibly as the protesters). And I don't care who you are, you are probably not going to take provocation forever before striking back.

In situations like this it is always impossible to say who fired first, but given that I personally witnessed a live feed demonstrating small groups of protesters continuously harassing the police amid a mutual truce I'm more inclined to say that the police were reacting rather than instigating. Especially given how many of the protesters appear to be armed in many of the images I'm seeing.

I do fear this is going to escalate to frightening levels soon, as Putin is old-school hardline ex-KGB stock. People like him don't mess around for very long, and sooner rather than later him and his Ukrainian puppet cabinet are going to loose the army on the people. And I don't think the army is going to be as lenient on the protesters as the police have thus far.
edit on 20-2-2014 by ArchAngel_X because: spelling correction

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 01:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

You're a smart chap. Ask yourself why the West would support 'fighters' when the political process appeared to be going somewhere, and when there is virtually no prospect of a Western 'humanitarian intervention' here.

As you pointed out, Russia would likely step in if the country really went to #. Ostensibly at the government's request and ostensibly to combat terrorism, secure energy infrastructure and whatnot.

As you also pointed out, they'd rather do that than allow Ukraine to start trending westwards, which it would likely do if the political process was allowed to reach its natural conclusion.

The phrase 'cui bono' is often used on ATS with a knowing wink and a nudge, but it's conspicuous by its absence in current threads on Ukraine - as is discussion surrounding the so-called 'titushki' and their role as agitators in the unrest.

I wouldn't be terribly surprised if those were the sort of fellows currently in possession of the weapons and ammunition 'stolen' from the Security Service, complete with ribbons and complimentary Russian chocolates, I imagine. Hey this is a conspiracy website right? Establishment goons such as myself can theorise, too.

Wrabbit2000
people underestimate Russia at their peril....

Indeed!

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 02:17 PM
link   
Please add comments to this previously posted thread

closing

top topics

join