It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US Marines evaluating a possible replacement for the Beretta

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 23 2004 @ 04:01 AM
link   
According to these two links:

The MP7 alternative

The P90 alternative

The US marines are looking to replace the berettas lack of range, punch and ammo capacity..

So which one would you prefer?
I'll go for the Mp7 for it's smaller size (and kick ass looks..
)

[edit on 23-11-2004 by Clownface]

posted on Nov, 23 2004 @ 04:06 AM
link   
P90 all the way. The MP7 was meant as a secondary backup sidearm so that too I guess. Never hearts to have more options(as long a weight constraints remain low that is)

posted on Nov, 23 2004 @ 04:06 AM
link   
Well, it is kinda drastic to exchange a pistol with a submachinegun.
It is a weapon with more ammo and better punch, yes, but I would still carry my close combat pistol.

www.securityarms.com...

posted on Nov, 23 2004 @ 04:10 AM
link   
I'll take the FN PDW90. 5.7mm, practically a magnum round when you put it in the Five7. 50 round box mag. 900rpm, if you're nuts enough to use that.
Sister weapon, the Five7 pistol, takes the same ammunition in a 20 shot box mag.
Plus it's from FN, makers of the SLR and the Hi-Power.

posted on Nov, 24 2004 @ 05:11 PM
link   
I'd go with the PYa "Grach" www.world.guns.ru... armed with 7N21 improved 9mm rounds...

But I am fairly biased towards russian firearms...

posted on Nov, 24 2004 @ 05:13 PM
link   
The P90 is a very powerful wepaon, and is't too bad for size if you can use a shoulder strap to carry it round with you...

posted on Nov, 24 2004 @ 05:27 PM
link   
I believe they should use both the P90 and MP7. Thats a helluva lot of firepower for one marine

posted on Nov, 24 2004 @ 06:29 PM
link   
I think that there both too big to replace a pistol. As a primary weapon the P90 is an excellent submachine gun. I'm just concerned that it would take to long to draw. Plus it would be too much for a marine to carry with an M-16. For pistols as somebody said, take the Five7. It's an excellent pistol, it's small, light, powerful for a pistol, and holds a nice 20 rounds.

posted on Nov, 24 2004 @ 06:48 PM
link   
I can see the P90 being useful in certain circumstances, house Clarence for example but as a replacement for the Beretta i don't think it would work. The bane of any Soldier is weight, its ok for short deployment but when you are out in the boonies for weeks on end the extra weight can be a pain. Also theres the aspect of weapon maintainence and cleaning. Its ok battle stripping and cleaning a Rifle and pistol but i can see doing the same but with a P90 getting very tedious very quickly.

posted on Nov, 24 2004 @ 06:52 PM
link   
i would go with the MP7 because its only slightly larger than a pistol and can be used as one.
he he fully auto pistol!
and can be used as a SMG as well.
the P90 is too large for a side arm.

posted on Nov, 25 2004 @ 12:57 AM
link   
I don't think they're planning on giving a regular infantryman an MP7 or P90 to carry around along with a rifle. Rather, I believe the weapons are going to be issued to people in non-combat roles (i.e. cooks), who are currently issued Berettas.

posted on Nov, 25 2004 @ 01:15 AM
link   
What type of metal are these guns usualy made from? Is carbon fiber a possible alternative? It is very strong and lite. Not sure how it stands up to heat though.

[edit on 25-11-2004 by Wask]

posted on Nov, 25 2004 @ 04:15 AM
link   
Cooks and clerks and whatnot are issued rifles, not pistols. Pistols are usually issued to upper echelon commanders, platoon leader, radio operators, forward observers, medics, corpsmen and the like, for whom combat is not their primary function, even if they are assigned to line units.

While these weapons are smaller than rifles, the way they are carried would be cumbersome for those who have plenty of work to do in a firefight. As for the one that is strapped to the chest. How would you like to have your life saved from a shot to the chest which also renders your weapon useless? How could you do a low crawl with weapon that size strapped to your chest?

Frankly, I can see truck drivers, platoon leaders and special ops, and swashbuckling generals using these. I just can't see either one replacing the pistol completely.

[edit on 04/11/25 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Nov, 25 2004 @ 04:19 AM
link   
Actually Grady, I heard from my buddy in the Military that non-combat personel will be the first to get the MP7 first, then officers will get em.

posted on Nov, 25 2004 @ 04:26 AM
link   
I cannot see these pieces replacing the rifles issued to rear support personnel who are responsible for their own perimeter support. Maybe the model for warfare is different than Vietnam, but every Marine is a rifleman. It might happen, but I doubt it. Those weapons may be better than pistols in some circumstances, but they are not as good as a rifle.

posted on Nov, 25 2004 @ 04:33 AM
link   
I'll take a plasma rifle....something in the 40 watt range. But seriously, isn't there a fifty caliber pistol around to replace the Baretta with?

posted on Nov, 25 2004 @ 04:37 AM
link   
Actually, with its 5.7mm round the PDW 90 is better than some rifles and many SMGs for a range of applications. Perimiter defence by cooks, a PDW would be fine. You're always going to have a squad automatic as well. What you need is the Belgians to make one in 5.7mm. Major problem in VN was M60s in .30cal and M16s in .223.

SAWs, PDW90s and Five7s all in 5.7mm. It'd be like the Russians doing everything in 7.62, even the pistol round had the same bore. (Yeah, yeah, the cartridge was different)

posted on Nov, 25 2004 @ 04:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by groingrinder
I'll take a plasma rifle....something in the 40 watt range. But seriously, isn't there a fifty caliber pistol around to replace the Baretta with?

And a longslide .45 with a laser sight.

Yes, the IMI Desert Eagle, if you want an automatic, or Ruger do a revolver. But do you know what that does to your hand? You can't practice going blind for a week!

posted on Nov, 27 2004 @ 11:53 AM
link   
Being a former marine who was an 2111 I think tis weapon would be to big to replace a pistol. The armory I was in issued pistols to a few staff nco's and officers. Most of the staff nco's preferred a mini M-16 but almost all commanding officers carried only pistols.

posted on Nov, 27 2004 @ 12:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by pbrez
Most of the staff nco's preferred a mini M-16 but almost all commanding officers carried only pistols.

Are you referring to the La France M16K in .45ACp or the .223 Colt Commando here?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join