It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why isn't competitive snow shoveling a winter sport yet?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2014 @ 11:24 PM
link   
No, not shovel racing which is kind of like a variation of sledding with some entertainment value. Actual shoveling away snow to clear an area of ground.

Think about it. It's one heck of a workout just to do it as a chore. Now do it as a timed event to clear out a given depth of snow covering a defined area, with set rules on snow density to ensure fairness across the board among all competitors. Also enough room so nobody can play dirty and dump snow on somebody else's lot. Basically it'd be a race to see who can get their entire lot clear first. I'd say the lots should be sized so the event goes fast, but also is long enough for the endurance factor to kick in. As far as a summer sport I could think of, it would be comparable to rowing. You're going to be seriously working your back and arms to clear that lot fast in a competitive manner. To be good at it would require some amount of technique and athleticism, and it wouldn't be a sport for the weak.

Or am I wrong that thinking such a thing would have an audience and could be interesting to watch? But hey, we've got curling as a winter sport.

posted on Feb, 17 2014 @ 11:28 PM
link   
I agree with you on how good a workout it is. I had to shovel last week, and my thighs, back, and arms were spent! And that's just with the modest amount we got here in SC. I can't imagine shoveling in the northeast.

posted on Feb, 17 2014 @ 11:28 PM
link   
Japan has something kind of sort of similar? Well.... they do use a shovel.

There would be people dropping from heart attacks if they had snow shoveling competitions.
That is definitely some hard work!
I would probably watch it. It would be better than most of what comes on.
edit on 2/17/2014 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2014 @ 11:37 PM
link   
It's funny you made this thread. Me and 4 other buddies just shoveled a half mile through thigh deep snow, bso we could move a trailer out onto the farm. It took us from 8am to 5pm. We were like super humans. Only cost us one auger AT THE END OF THE DAY. I should probably mention we were snow blowing a corn field. Normally, this is a stupid thing to do, but we had to.

We busted out the beers at 10am. It was a great, yet tiring day.

posted on Feb, 17 2014 @ 11:53 PM
link   
reply to post by pauljs75

That is the good thread you betcha, F&S.
For my end a luge with a tiller (S.Shovel) is cool, but basically not steerable either.

Per our marsupial later on in the thread, raw shoveling probably would be a high maintenance event; because all the people I know who would want to supplement their pension by cashing in a medal would probably be in the mobile ICU truck before making a dent in the allotted torture terrace. gee that was a long thought, pass the nitro my left arm hurts more than my right all of a sudden....

On the other side of the coin, I've done hyperbaric O2 a lot and can talk for a long time.
Maybe snow bunny trapping myself, or possibly more popular might be the Women's Buff Snow Angel Freestyle... but probably for only a twisted minority of the television viewing public. That suffering an unnecessary extra L in the last sentence ender.
There's no doubt --- I need to get out more.
This whole thing could get me some points shaved, but possibly the most dangerous event in the last six or seven Winter Olympiads has been just getting through it in one piece. And anybody who goes out at my age and even plays in weather that can make your lungs fill up with fluid, much less compete at something potentially lethal? ....
mister / Ms. you play in a better band than I.

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 12:12 AM
link   

Curling is a gentleman's sport. And it has a hot guy, it's why my wife watches it.

www.totalprosports.com...

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 12:32 AM
link   

OccamsRazor04

Curling is a gentleman's sport. And it has a hot guy, it's why my wife watches it.

Your wife has good taste. I certainly wouldn't kick him out of my bed for eating crackers. He might have to lose those pants though.... not for THAT, but because they are hideous.

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 12:51 AM
link   
reply to post by OccamsRazor04

Well then watch the womens, the russian team isn't bad to look at

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 12:51 AM
link   

Kangaruex4Ewe

OccamsRazor04

Your wife has good taste. I certainly wouldn't kick him out of my bed for eating crackers. He might have to lose those pants though.... not for THAT, but because they are hideous.

I somehow think she would not be too upset at the prospect.

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 07:52 AM
link   

Great idea..especially after this year...my old man would probably win...they guy shovels his driveway and everyones around him so they are perfect....then gets all the sidewalks...he was going to work today..stopped the car...and wiped away a dust sprinkle of snow from the driveway before continuing on.....I was impressed.

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 10:13 AM
link   
Want Canada to win more medals?

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Good idea, I can see your logic, it would be a sport that nearly everyone could afford to get into, 1 half decent shovel and a set of cleats.
:

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 02:09 PM
link   
Where I live, not only could you make a sport out of driveway shovelling, you could also have tobaggan races on the snow hills you make from shovelling all the damn white stuff too.

I could kiss whoever invented the snowblower.

new topics

top topics

join