It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists Speculate: Image on Shroud of Turin caused by Earthquake?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 09:09 PM
link   
The Shroud of Turin, which is kept in the royal chapel of the Cathedral of Saint John the Baptist in Turin, northern Italy, has again been resurrected in an attempt to explain it's mysterious appearance as well as its past.

This is the latest........

Now, a study claims neutron emissions from an ancient earthquake that rocked Jerusalem could have created the iconic image, as well as messed up the radiocarbon levels that later suggested the shroud was a medieval forgery....

The new theory hinges on neutrons released by a devastating earthquake that hit Old Jerusalem around the same time that Jesus is believed to have died.

All living things have the same ratio of stable carbon to radioactive carbon-14, but after death, the radioactive carbon decays in a predictable pattern over time. That's why scientists can look at the carbon-14 concentration in organic archaeological materials like fabrics, bones and wood to estimate age. Carbon-14 is typically created when neutrons from cosmic rays collide with nitrogen atoms in the atmosphere (though it can be unleashed by manmade nuclear reactions, too).

The group of scientists, led by Alberto Carpinteri of the Politecnico di Torino in Italy, suspect high-frequency pressure waves generated in the Earth's crust during this earthquake could have produced significant neutron emissions. (They simulated this by crushing very brittle rock specimens under a press machine.)

These neutron emissions could have interacted directly with nitrogen atoms in the linen fibers, inducing chemical reactions that created the distinctive face image on the shroud, the scientists say. The reactions also could have led to "a wrong radiocarbon dating," which would explain the results of the 1989 experiments, Carpinteri said in a statement.
Professor Alberto Carpinteri

Some history.....

The Shroud of Turin or Turin Shroud (Italian: Sindone di Torino) is a length of linen cloth bearing the image of a man who appears to have suffered physical trauma in a manner consistent with crucifixion. There is no consensus yet on exactly how the image was created, and it is believed by some to be the burial shroud of Jesus of Nazareth, despite radiocarbon dating placing its origins in the Medieval period**.

The image is much clearer in black-and-white negative than in its natural sepia color. The negative image was first observed in 1898, on the reverse photographic plate of amateur photographer Secondo Pia, who was allowed to photograph it while it was being exhibited in the Turin Cathedral. The shroud .

Radiocarbon dating tests conducted at three different labs in the 1980s indicated the cloth was less than 800 years old, produced in the Middle Ages, between approximately A.D. 1260 and 1390.

The first records of the shroud begin to appear in medieval sources around the same time, which skeptics don't think is a coincidence. Those results were published in the journal Nature in 1989. But critics in favour of a much older date for the cloth have alleged that those researchers took a sample of fabric that was used to patch up the burial shroud in the medieval period, or that the fabric had been subjected to fires, contamination and other damaged that skewed the results.

Anyone familiar with the history of the Shroud, knows that there is a plethora of information on the subject readily available with just a few clicks of the mouse.

The Catholic Church, as far as I am aware, does not have an official stance on the Shroud, but that does not stop thousands of people each year from visiting the iconic relic.

Will this latest claim have the weight behind it to effectively set the record straight, or is it likely to be placed in the raises more questions than answers category.

It would be good to put the debate (of whether the shroud is real or hoax) to rest and to be able to verify the dating and consequential authenticity of the cloth - one way or the other and once and for all.

Further reading:

www.independent.co.uk...
www.truthbeknown.com...
www.dailymail.co.uk... ion.html
www.dailymail.co.uk...
paranormal.about.com...
en.wikipedia.org...
www.shroud.com...

MOD's - search results yielded nothing, if already posted then please delete, thanks.

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 09:22 PM
link   
In an effort to offer this scientific/non-supernatural explanation for the shroud, scientists are confirming the biblical account of the crucifixion. The bible tells of a massive earthquake that coincided with the crucifixion.

Matthew 27:51 At that moment the curtain of the temple was torn in two from top to bottom. The earth shook, the rocks split (NIV)

I love shroud stuff.
I don't hang my faith on it or anything, but it is fascinating on many levels. Thanks for posting!

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 09:26 PM
link   
Seems like wild speculation to me. Didnt they already determine the reasons for the last incorrect dating was due to testing the part that was repaired a few centuries ago ? Dont know who to trust on this pne as it seems they get different results each time. Religous or not.

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 09:41 PM
link   
Since the shroud followed the protocols of the period burial rites, and there were a number of bodies that would have been buried around the same time with the same material type shroud, why has there never been another found like it? If the theory is correct, I would surmise it would have affected a lot of burial shrouds to a similar degree.
edit on 12-2-2014 by QuantumKat because: no reason

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 09:44 PM
link   
reply to post by VegHead

I was thinking that as well but the biblical account has Jesus on the cross at the time of the earthquake. He was then apparently buried and wrapped in the cloth soon thereafter.

The mention of an earthquake so close to time of burial in the bible lends credence to the scientists idea though.

And I agree, it is an intriguing subject alright!.

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 09:51 PM
link   
reply to post by greavsie1971

Agreed - it is becoming tiresome keeping up with the latest scientific findings regarding the Shroud, then again, this is the nature of the Beast (pardon the pun). Who knows what results may come of this testing. More questions?

Still, any exposure is good exposure right?

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 10:01 PM
link   
reply to post by QuantumKat

why has there never been another found like it?

Jesus was apparently revered in his time and soon after his death until this day he has become intertwined in human history.

If he is who the Church says he is then the cloth would be highly sought after, just like the spear of destiny, and would have been retained by family/friends/thieves and handed down through generations.

A burial cloth from anyone less important would most likely had to have been very well protected to survive the 2000 years of historical turmoil the Middle East has experienced. Other than the shroud, I have not investigated how many other burial cloths from that era exist, and whom they belong to - which would be interesting to know.

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 10:16 PM
link   

QuantumKat
Since the shroud followed the protocols of the period burial rites, and there were a number of bodies that would have been buried around the same time with the same material type shroud, why has there never been another found like it? If the theory is correct, I would surmise it would have affected a lot of burial shrouds to a similar degree.
edit on 12-2-2014 by QuantumKat because: no reason

Since Jesus "walked" out the shroud would have been left behind. For others they would say it was stolen. Either way a body and or said shroud would have decomposed by now. That's why there aren't more. Unless stealing shrouds was the new thing?

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 10:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Sublimecraft

Excellent point...I researched this to death about 15 years ago after seeing a documentary about the Shroud and read several books about it. I will have to review a couple of books I have....in particular the one by Bernard Ruffin. My memory escapes me, but I know the history of the Shroud prior to the 14th century is completely speculative. Part of the fascinating aspect of the shroud is how a linen cloth survived so well during that time period if it is in fact a couple of millennia old.

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 10:28 PM
link   
Any other explanation. Any other explanation is all Scientism wants. Of course, there aren't any explanations, so they resort to engaging in speculation that reinforces their worldview of an unintelligent, random universe of stupid matter. Apparently they're not even concerned with how implausible their speculation is anymore, as long as it fosters doubt. That's the goal.

I suppose the shroud could have been formed through a reaction caused by the light of Venus refracted by fog drifting in from the Mediterranean while being struck by lightning.

But it wasn't.
edit on 2/12/14 by NthOther because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 10:41 PM
link   
reply to post by NthOther

LOL.

The thing that hooked me about the Shroud is the universal mystery that it creates among both the religious and scientific communities if one is rational and fair-minded. Even the Wiki view will show anyone how much scientific effort has gone into researching it. Nothing---nothing in the realm of science has been able to explain the Shroud away. I entirely doubt a 14th century forger would have been prescient enough to create something that would thwart 21st century science.

Indeed, the circumstantial evidence that has come out of the research points in one direction. The Carbon-14 dating it to the first half of the 2nd millennia is the only evidence that has cast doubt on it being authentic, and this piece of evidence has all but been cast into irrelevance by subsequent information.

They've never been able to recreate its equal in a laboratory setting.

It is a very beautiful enigma indeed.

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 12:53 AM
link   
Well, there's still the sticky issue of the image having a beard, mustache and long hair, which would have gone against Jesus' religious teachings. Guess they could always change our 'understanding' of historical teachings to come up with a new version to make the shroud fit what they want it to be.....

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 01:13 AM
link   

nugget1
Well, there's still the sticky issue of the image having a beard, mustache and long hair, which would have gone against Jesus' religious teachings. Guess they could always change our 'understanding' of historical teachings to come up with a new version to make the shroud fit what they want it to be.....

Mind elaborating? Curious.

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 09:37 AM
link   

Text I was thinking that as well but the biblical account has Jesus on the cross at the time of the earthquake. He was then apparently buried and wrapped in the cloth soon thereafter.

Yes, most bibles do agree with what you say but then you should also consider that there were two earthquakes within the seventy two hours of Jesus' death. There was one earth quake as He was still crucified and then another at about time of the discovery of the empty tomb.

Yet, another problem arises from the death of Christ Jesus. It starts with the Roman authorities that placed a seventy two hour (sealed) guarded watch over the tomb. This means that Jesus had seventy two hours (three days and three nights) to do as the bible claims. Now Jesus spent three days and three nights in the heart of the earth (according to most bibles) and if He did spend three days and three nights in the heart of the earth then He would have to have resurrected immediately after the tomb was sealed and the guards placed at the tomb. If He did resurrect immediately after death then the second earth quake would not have had any effect on His body simply because His body would not have laid as a corpse. So that would leave no earth quake to have any effect upon the cloth that covered His body and this scientist would have no biblical grounds to say otherwise.

In my opinion (based upon the bible) that would still leave the mystery still a great mystery.

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 10:23 AM
link   

greavsie1971
Seems like wild speculation to me. Didnt they already determine the reasons for the last incorrect dating was due to testing the part that was repaired a few centuries ago ? Dont know who to trust on this pne as it seems they get different results each time. Religous or not.

Testing? Like carbon testing? Yeah that isn't a test, it's a joke! They determined that their scientific study dated this within a 130 year span? How is that science? It is an absolute joke, not saying anything about the religious part of this just on their "tests" and how they aren't trustworthy at all!

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 10:32 AM
link   

Seede

Text I was thinking that as well but the biblical account has Jesus on the cross at the time of the earthquake. He was then apparently buried and wrapped in the cloth soon thereafter.

Yes, most bibles do agree with what you say but then you should also consider that there were two earthquakes within the seventy two hours of Jesus' death. There was one earth quake as He was still crucified and then another at about time of the discovery of the empty tomb.

Yet, another problem arises from the death of Christ Jesus. It starts with the Roman authorities that placed a seventy two hour (sealed) guarded watch over the tomb. This means that Jesus had seventy two hours (three days and three nights) to do as the bible claims. Now Jesus spent three days and three nights in the heart of the earth (according to most bibles) and if He did spend three days and three nights in the heart of the earth then He would have to have resurrected immediately after the tomb was sealed and the guards placed at the tomb. If He did resurrect immediately after death then the second earth quake would not have had any effect on His body simply because His body would not have laid as a corpse. So that would leave no earth quake to have any effect upon the cloth that covered His body and this scientist would have no biblical grounds to say otherwise.

In my opinion (based upon the bible) that would still leave the mystery still a great mystery.

His physical body remained intact in the tomb during those three days right? If he were in "hell" he would have been there in spirit; not in body. Iirc...correct me if I'm wrong lol.

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 11:08 AM
link   
Jesus was beaten to a pulp. Unrecognizable, according to Scriptures.

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Text His physical body remained intact in the tomb during those three days right? If he were in "hell" he would have been there in spirit; not in body. Iirc...correct me if I'm wrong lol.
reply to post by TiedDestructor

You could very well be right. I guess it all depends upon how you believe in resurrection. I was taught that Jesus had life within Himself just as the Father has life. Jesus’ resurrection was far different than the creation’s resurrection. I don’t really know how to explain my understanding without sounding agnostic but will try.

My understanding of this is that the celestial portion of Jesus was conceived by the Father God (Holy Ghost). In other words the celestial “Word” was brought forth into a terrestrial body called Jesus. Here is where it really gets to be doctrinal. A human cannot live without life and a terrestrial body cannot exist without a spirit of life. The terrestrial body is nothing but a house for the spirit according to the bible. So the “Word of God” was actually in the body of Jesus and that flesh of Jesus died. Now upon death of that body of Jesus was when “The Word” left that body. That body of flesh was put into a tomb and that tomb was sealed with guards. But remember that the “Word” is not in that body and He has not as yet ascended back to the Father.

AS Jesus appeared to the apostles and disciples He seemed to always be in the terrestrial identification of His terrestrial body. In other words He always used the same body even though that body was killed. So we assume by this that He took that identification also to Sheol (Abraham’s Bosom). If He did then He would have had to restore his body at the very start of those seventy two hours.

My reasoning of this is as follows. As Jesus was alive and preached to hundreds of people, some of those people died before Jesus died and were in Abraham’s Bosom. As Jesus died it makes no sense to me that He would appear in a different form to those in Abraham’s Bosom who knew Him while He was alive. How could He convince them that He was the same Jesus that preached to them while they were alive? That would be the same as His appearing to doubting Thomas in another form than that which Thomas knew him while He was alive. Do you believe that Thomas would ever believe Him if He appeared in another identification?

So by my own reasoning (no proof) I came to the conclusion that Jesus restored His identification in order to show Himself as the earthly Jesus. I would not understand why "The Word" would appear to the disciples and Apostles as Jesus and not do the same to those in Abraham's Bosom and if He was three days and three nights in Abraham's Bosom then He could not have been in the tomb three and three nights. Maybe I'm wrong in assuming all of this. What do you think?

top topics

join