It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rare Amatuer Film Shows Small Town Ohio In 1937

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 06:37 PM
link   

schuyler

jtrenthacker

There were a lot of very frightened people then who felt like the whole world was coming around down on their heads.

That kind of reminds me of what we have now.

Rather than quote only that single sentence, what about the rest of the three paragraphs? Are you saying you would want to trade the world of 1937 with what you have now? That's the issue that was raised.
edit on 2/11/2014 by schuyler because: (no reason given)

No. That's not what I'm saying at all. That's why I remarked that I would like to spend a day in 1937. I just quoted that one sentence because I feel there are a lot of people today that feel hopeless and frightened about what the future holds just as the generation of the late 30's did.

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 06:45 PM
link   
reply to post by SgtHamsandwich

We moved to Michigan three years ago from Circleville. Lived out on rt 22 for 5 years. I grew up off Hamilton rd in Blacklick Estates until I was about 9. Then my family moved out to the Canal/ Groveport area. We actually lived right on the border of CW and Groveport school districts out on Lithopolis rd. My parents sent me to CW. Two things I really miss living in the area: #1 Little Italy's and #2 Kingy's. Anytime we get back to Ohio, I make sure to get to one of them.

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 11:14 PM
link   
How is a youtube video "rare"?

I could understand the video could be considered rare if it was still on film and had not yet been digitaised, but with thousands of people having already seen it on the worlds most popular video viewing site, I dont feel the description is warranted.

Unless... you agree that this video of somebody playing with a rubiks cube is also "rare".

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 12:00 AM
link   
The absence of obesity in there, is glaring, to me. I hate all this obesity that happened to us, it's so ugly and stultifying, and a killer, really. Only recently I was speaking to my 76 yr old mom, and I forget the reason this came up, but she said her (aunts or cousins, can't recall,) actually vacuumed in their homes while wearing dresses and pumps. I said, "No way, just like on those tv shows?!") She said yep. Because they were not obese!

edit on 12-2-2014 by misschareesee2 because: adpic

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 08:10 AM
link   

alfa1

How is a youtube video "rare"?

I could understand the video could be considered rare if it was still on film and had not yet been digitaised, but with thousands of people having already seen it on the worlds most popular video viewing site, I dont feel the description is warranted.

Unless... you agree that this video of somebody playing with a rubiks cube is also "rare".

It's rare because you don't see a whole lot of amateur films from that time period. Especially of small towns like these. Just because it was digitized and put on youtube, doesn't make the actual film any less rare. Try enjoying the video instead of nitpicking the semantics of the headline.

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 03:56 PM
link   
Great video.

It may have been the post depression era, but to me it looked like the good old days. People had more respect for each other, as well as themselves.

I really wish I had a time machine. ~$heopleNation

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 11:46 AM
link   
reply to post by jtrenthacker

I don't really care much for Little Italy's. Kingy's is great though. Cold beers and good pizza

I love it here in Circleville. I grew up in a small town in Alabama and it reminds me a lot of home.

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 04:43 PM
link   

The biggest stand out difference between then and now is the cars.

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 07:53 PM
link   
What an awesome video!

The one glaring thing I noticed about it was there was not ONE SINGLE FAT PERSON anywhere.

Genetics my left foot.

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 01:37 AM
link   

It looks like despite the terrible economic situation, those human beings still found a way to enjoy life and each others' company. In fact it looks like they're having more fun than we are now! If you filmed a modern-day city anywhere on earth today I guarantee you that you wouldn't find so many happy-looking people with smiling faces playing in the streets. Which is sad and ironic, because I know how difficult that period was to live in from stories from my grandparents and great-grandparents. Very interesting indeed.

Cheers for sharing

Namaste.

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 06:28 AM
link   

Wookiep

I also noticed that the kids were actually encouraged to hold hands back then. Did anyone else catch that? It seems like it was a rule of discipline or something with no intent for it being something sexual. (walk in pairs, hold hands) Now days kids get slapped with sexual harassment for that! How times have changed..
edit on 11-2-2014 by Wookiep because: (no reason given)

I was a child in the 80's and we always had to hold hands.
Any school trip or outing, any time we were with parents and other kids crossing the road.
You dont have to go back 80 years to find it happening

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 07:55 AM
link   

stargatetravels

Wookiep

I also noticed that the kids were actually encouraged to hold hands back then. Did anyone else catch that? It seems like it was a rule of discipline or something with no intent for it being something sexual. (walk in pairs, hold hands) Now days kids get slapped with sexual harassment for that! How times have changed..
edit on 11-2-2014 by Wookiep because: (no reason given)

I was a child in the 80's and we always had to hold hands.
Any school trip or outing, any time we were with parents and other kids crossing the road.
You dont have to go back 80 years to find it happening

I was an 80's kid too and I agree. I remember the boys never wanted to hold hands so we would lock arms which would lead to pushing and shoving and doing what boys do. Man, I miss being a kid.

edit on 14-2-2014 by jtrenthacker because: Words is hard

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 11:20 AM
link   
reply to post by stargatetravels

I guess it depends on where you were at then. I was raised in the 80s as well and while it wasn't discouraged like it is now, the school didn't make us do it. We were allowed to be kids tho, which now days kids are seemingly not allowed to do anymore.

edit on 14-2-2014 by Wookiep because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 03:51 PM
link   

jtrenthacker

Youtube:

"Who filmed it an why are now a mystery"

Hmm, by judging what's on the video @ the 8:21 mark, I think it's quite apparent why this film was made...

The cameraman is obviously tracking a UFO.

It doesn't appear in every frame or every scene. The cameraman saw it, then lost it, spent some time scanning the area, then found it again @ 8:21.

The people and activities are not the focus, they just happen to be where the cameraman is searching and where the UFO is going and, as a result, they were filmed.

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 02:25 PM
link   
reply to post by esteay812

Well played

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join