It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nasa is Looking for Moon Miners!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 02:46 AM
link   
So much for my peaceful, quiet waterfront property in Mare Nubium.

... There goes the damn neighbourhood.

*sigh*

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 06:12 AM
link   

Phage
That's some high quality speculation.
Seeing as how there are no fusion reactors, much less ones capable of using He3.

Actualy may be wrong on the first part as lockheed released that reacter of theres in december which seems promising.
edit on 10-2-2014 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 06:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Well I suppose we could take into consideration what WE dont know. Not to say there is fusion but you know we have some kind of black projects somewhere and there is some tech we dont know about. Who knows ...maybe it has nothing to do with mining at all!!! Man ive been involved with conspiracy sites for too long haha.

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 06:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Aliensun

haha right exactly...if we look at conventional methods...lets say a rover....a rover that can drill and a rover that can process with a rover that can move stuff....you could probably get a nice little operation going with several robots just bundling up stuff...but ya is there we dont know about in terms of tech

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 01:55 PM
link   
reply to post by cosmicexplorer

Well I imagine that it will happen eventually but as world wide effort, so now my question is, since went NASA have exclusive rights to the moon and how they feel that is for sell or rent to private interest.

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 03:03 PM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

Exactly right...I think the bigger story isnt the science side but the political/international side of it. I could see wars fought over who has mining rights.

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 06:31 PM
link   

Exactly, who gave the rights to property and who wrote the paper work to make it legal to own the moon, I mean this is beyond earth range or jurisdiction, you are right I can already see the wars for claim rights, but that will only happen once something of value is found in the moon and as usual private interest to mine in the moon could come from any country private interest as long as the price is right.

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 06:44 PM
link   

since went NASA have exclusive rights to the moon and how they feel that is for sell or rent to private interest.

NASA doesn't have exclusive rights to the Moon.
Why do you think that they think the Moon is for sale or rent to private interests?

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 06:56 PM
link   

Phage

since went NASA have exclusive rights to the moon and how they feel that is for sell or rent to private interest.

NASA doesn't have exclusive rights to the Moon.
Why do you think that they think the Moon is for sale or rent to private interests?

You are right...but I suppose we could hypothesize that it will be an issue in the future...maybe after our life time as the moon is quite large and Im assuming there are deposits everywhere...but hey there has been a war somewhere on the planet forever...might as well include the moon! Which reminds me....I need to go read Henlein's The Moon is a Harsh Mistress....

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 06:58 PM
link   

It's something that should be worked out before the time comes.

Say hi to Mike for me. I miss that fair dinkum thinkum and his not stupid friends.

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 08:37 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

Outland is more relevant.

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 09:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

While this discussion is about future issues, the matter of the moon ownership already has been discussed extensively, as a matter of fact already hundreds of acres of moon property have been sold as "novelty" and because nobody or country have refuted this claim is stands as today.

Who Owns the Moon? The Case for Lunar Property Rights

The Moon Treaty, in 1979. It explicitly barred private property rights on the moon. It also provided that any development, extraction and management of resources would take place under the supervision of an international authority that would divert a share of the profits, if any, to developing countries.

But is this worthless? well,

The answer to the first question is clearly "yes." Lots of people would buy lunar land--and, in fact, lots of people have, sort of. Dennis Hope, owner of Lunar Embassy, says he's sold 500 million acres as "novelties." Each parcel is about the size of a football field and costs $16 to $20. Buyers choose the location--except for the Sea of Tranquility and the Apollo landing sites, which Hope has placed off-limits.

Can the US be stopped from mining the moon? well,

In the 1980 Deep Seabed Hard Mineral Resources Act, the United States recognized deep-sea mining rights outside its own territory without claiming sovereignty over the seabed. There's nothing to stop Congress from passing a similar law relating to the moon. For that matter, there's nothing to stop other nations from doing the same.

Ideally, title would be recognized by an international agreement that all nations would endorse. The 1979 Moon Treaty was a flop, but there's no reason the space powers couldn't agree on a new treaty that recognizes property rights and encourages investment. After all, the international climate has warmed to property rights and capitalism over the past 30 years.

www.popularmechanics.com...

We just have to wait and see, don't we.

edit on 10-2-2014 by marg6043 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 09:40 PM
link   

The Moon Treaty, in 1979. It explicitly barred private property rights on the moon. It also provided that any development, extraction and management of resources would take place under the supervision of an international authority that would divert a share of the profits, if any, to developing countries.
The treaty did not say that..exactly.

(d) An equitable sharing by all States Parties in the benefits derived from those resources, whereby the interests and needs of the developing countries, as well as the efforts of those countries which have contributed either directly or indirectly to the exploration of the moon, shall be given special consideration.
Are benefits the same thing as profits, or can we just say, "Ok Namibia. Here's your cup up He3. Have fun with it." Is it saying that those "developing countries" have to have contributed to the exploration? What does "special consideration" mean?
www.oosa.unvienna.org...
It's all pretty danged vague. Which might have something to do with why it didn't fly.

But like I said, the time to attempt to resolve the matter is sooner rather than later. And something else that would have to be considered, other that just "States", is how private enterprises may be included. Important because, at least for the US at this point, it's not clear that such an effort could be done without a "contribution" on the part of private enterprise.

edit on 2/10/2014 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 09:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

And that is what it will become if ever is new treaty to mine the moon for profits the ones owning the moon will be anybody with enough money to buy a right to mining and resources to for transportation.

But first somebody have to find anything worthy in the moon to invest that heavily.

But while all this seems something beyond our life times, it is been already been discussed and plan about.

The moon the next frontier.

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 09:48 PM
link   

The moon the next frontier.

One of 'em anyway.
My hunch is that asteroids will be right up there with it, as far as utilization of resources goes. Just a hunch.

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 09:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

The more you think about it, the more you kind of realized that anything going on in the moon will be many decades ahead of us. But is interesting how those that spend their time looking into how to make profits already are thinking about it.

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 09:59 PM
link   

It's the long term planning that really can pay off.
Of course, it's also high risk, as you pointed out.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join