It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Aliens didn't do it! Underwater 'fairy rings' explained

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2014 @ 12:11 PM
link   

They're not the work of World War II bombs or aliens or fairies. Instead, mysterious underwater rings spotted off the coast of Denmark are the result of poison, biologists say.

Striking rings of green eelgrass some of them up to 49 feet wide can occasionally be spotted in the clear Baltic water off the coast of Denmark's island of Mn. The formations were captured in tourist photos in 2008 and again in 2011, sparking the type of speculation that's usually reserved for crop circles.

But biologists Marianne Holmer from University of Southern Denmark and Jens Borum from University of Copenhagen assure that the circles have "nothing to do with either bomb craters or landing marks for aliens.

The biologists concluded that the rings formed because of the radiating pattern in which the eelgrass grows and dies when exposed to toxins.

More at Source (Foxnews)

Add another explanation in addition to swamp gas and balloons, this time underwater, eelgrass.

I hope its not posted yet, i dint knew about these rings before, enjoy the read.

posted on Feb, 1 2014 @ 01:03 PM
link   
I'm a regular visitor of moens klint(Møns klint) and have seen these with my own eye's a couple of times, they have been disscussed in denmark for a long time with claims of witches, aliens and what not.

So i'm happy to see they finally found a reasonable explanation to this.

edit on 1-2-2014 by Mianeye because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2014 @ 03:20 PM
link   
Cool. Confirmation of early hypothesis.

U.S. parallels
Associate Professor Jens Borum, who has been studying eelgrass in about 30 years, has never even seen eelgrass proliferate so clearly in circles, as has happened at Mons Klint. He knows, however, to a phenomenon in Florida in the U.S. where you have seen the distinctive circular holes in a second type of water plant. The holes are caused by the plant has languished in the middle, and the Danish researchers believe it is something similar has happened at Moen.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

join