It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Extremely rare Nintendo game sells for £60,000 on eBay - but buyer claims it was a mistake...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2014 @ 06:03 PM
link   
A VERY RARE Nintendo cartridge has sold for just short of £60,000 on eBay and another equally rare copy is still being bid on...

The game in question is the Nintendo Entertainment System NES Nintendo World Championship, which is something of a holy grail for fans of that games console. The first version to go up for bid was a standard cartridge with sticker removed. It was listed as being of "acceptable quality" on the eBay auction website...

328 bids were made on it, and it sold this weekend for around £60,000, despite its condition...

About 6,500 people were following the auction when it closed...

Anyone that might think they have missed out by not buying this cartridge can fret no more, as a gold version of the same cartridge has since appeared on eBay...

Currently this shinier version, which again is missing its label, is attracting some attention and has already been bid up to around £20,000. The NES cartridges were produced in limited numbers and were used at a Nintendo competition called the Nintendo World Championship in the early 90's...

Link...
www.bbc.co.uk...

Link..
www.mirror.co.uk...

Would any member on ATS think about buying a game at these prices?

posted on Jan, 27 2014 @ 06:13 PM
link   
reply to post by davethebear

That's around $100,000 USD!

Hell no. That's what my house cost!

Some people are crazy. I guess if you got more money than sense....

posted on Jan, 27 2014 @ 06:43 PM
link   
If people have that much money how about putting it back into the economy, or something more useful?

And i thought my cheese slipped off my cracker.

posted on Jan, 27 2014 @ 07:11 PM
link   

shaneslaughta
If people have that much money how about putting it back into the economy, or something more useful?

And i thought my cheese slipped off my cracker.

They are putting it back in the economy, even if through somewhat retarded means. While they do something stupid with it the person they buy it from may very well do something smarter with it.

posted on Jan, 27 2014 @ 10:38 PM
link   

So what I want to know, I know what game this is by the way but maybe some of the computer savvy guys and gals can answer but what would stop someone from taking the NES rom of that game and placing it in a Nintendo cartridge that belonged to another Nintendo game? Then just printing off a label that looks like the game or in this case peeling it off to where you can't really tell?

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 01:21 AM
link   

OrphanApology

So what I want to know, I know what game this is by the way but maybe some of the computer savvy guys and gals can answer but what would stop someone from taking the NES rom of that game and placing it in a Nintendo cartridge that belonged to another Nintendo game? Then just printing off a label that looks like the game or in this case peeling it off to where you can't really tell?

Not a darn thing, but that would be called a counterfeit. Virtually any antique or collectible that's worth any kind of real money has counterfeits and reproductions floating around. Coins, paintings, even purses and shoes actually. A person that knows what to look for can usually spot a fake right away though.

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 02:45 AM
link   
Apparently, after the £60,000 ($100,000) bid, 3 more rare Nintendo World Championship carts surface.....

Hoax bid drives real interest in one of the rarest games ever made...

Link...
arstechnica.com...

www.ibtimes.com...

posted on Jan, 30 2014 @ 10:46 AM
link   
eBay needs to protect sellers more, the buyer claimed it was his 2 year old that logged into eBay, searched for this rare game, & bid the winning bid. Interenet troll methinks.

That gold one is MUCH rarer. But, I'd never pay that sorts of money for a game unless I was a millionaire, & even then, the game would have to be in much better shape if I'm handing over vast sums of money!

posted on Jan, 30 2014 @ 10:48 AM
link   
reply to post by mwood

Your house cost $100k? You mind me asking how big it is? Seems us English folk get ripped off in all aspects of life!

posted on Jan, 30 2014 @ 11:08 AM
link   
12 years ago I bought a shell – literally bricks and mortar – for £100,000 in a rough part of a rough city...

posted on Jan, 30 2014 @ 02:31 PM
link   

I remember some years ago I lost a bid by 20 bucks for Bionic Commando shrinked. It was 200. I'm glad I lost that one as it's on Amazon now for like 123 lol.

I miss collecting games.

It was a fun hobby.

60k for a game that isn't even in the shrink is ridiculous though. I'd be scared of a counterfeit.

edit on 30-1-2014 by OrphanApology because: (no reason given)

top topics

join