It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Google to Buy Artificial Intelligence Startup DeepMind for $400M

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2014 @ 11:08 AM
link   

Re/code

This is in large part an artificial intelligence talent acquisition, and Google CEO Larry Page led the deal himself, sources said. According to online bios, Hassabis in particular is quite a talent, a child prodigy in chess who was later called “probably the best games player in history” by the Mind Sports Olympiad.

What's Google up to? Could this be a play to compete directly against IBM's Watson who just recently went enterprise. IBM'S WATSON FOR BUSINESS: THE $1 BILLION SIRI SLAYER Or maybe world domination via robots?

Recent acquisitions made by Google.

Google buys Boston Dynamics, maker of spectacular and terrifying robots

Google purchases Nest for $3.2 billion

posted on Jan, 27 2014 @ 11:24 AM
link   
reply to post by ATSmediaPRO

With the way things are shaping up with Google they might as well change their name to Skynet.

Seriously thought am I the only person thoroughly creeped out by this?

Kallisti

posted on Jan, 27 2014 @ 11:33 AM
link   

CagliostroTheGreat

With the way things are shaping up with Google they might as well change their name to Skynet.

Kallisti

It could be considered scary, but Google is simply positioning itself to become a dominant or the only player in the future. Kind of reminds me of Judge Dredd and the restaurant wars of the future, where Taco Bell through some kind of intelligent market manipulation becomes the only restaurant left standing.

Cheers - Dave

posted on Jan, 27 2014 @ 11:35 AM
link   
Skynet....it HEREEE
No seriously, could you imagine google succeeding at an AI to have it work its way through the internet to every machine connected?

posted on Jan, 27 2014 @ 11:43 AM
link   

Hmm deep NSA links,the buying of Boston Dynamics,the deal on patents with Samsung and now this AI company...

Are we getting the picture yet?
I am,and I fear for todays children.

Dystopian nightmare future is hurtling towards us,courtesy of a company who used a logo which is turning out to be one of the most ironic ever:

Don't be evil...

posted on Jan, 27 2014 @ 11:49 AM
link   
Heres the plan...

1.Buy robotics
2.Buy AI
3.Buy gadget
3.Combine robot and AI then masquerade as gadget
4.Deploy latest gadget
5.Change "Dont be evil" to "Be evil"

We are in business of knowing everything you do (and eat)

posted on Jan, 27 2014 @ 11:52 AM
link   
I am super excited to see what they come up with. Having worked with and continuing to work with some of the robotics companies they recently purchased personally, I have to say I am very intrigued by there recent acquisitions. I don't see them as some evil empire entity that most do. I see them as a company looking to change the future in a very unique and highly beneficial manner.

posted on Jan, 27 2014 @ 11:56 AM
link   

I see a big issue with talent acquisition. These big companies rarely breed talent anymore. They simply buy and acquire it, and use every means necessary to profit off said bought talent.

So much more could be said. But that is all for me here.

posted on Jan, 27 2014 @ 12:31 PM
link   
reply to post by zysin5

Google didn't just start out big. They had to do it the same way everyone else has to....start small with smart people and build. They have done this well for years now and happen to presently be in a situation where they CAN buy up smart companies....much easier for them to do this than try to find the needle in a haystack by going through the talent pool hiring process.

Either way, who's to say the smaller company with the talent didn't have this in mind from the get go. I know numerous people who have started companies with a very defined goal of being acquired by a larger company....it was part of the business plan for them.

posted on Jan, 27 2014 @ 12:57 PM
link   

CagliostroTheGreat

Kallisti
lol the scary thing about that is i think there already is a real robotics engineering company called skynet

posted on Jan, 27 2014 @ 01:08 PM
link   
reply to post by nonconformist

# robots all together!, did anyone see i robot ? also those military robots are scary as # ,the ones they have on the north korean border are crazy ,they have video survallince on them that can lock on to targets from hundreds of yards away and open fire,they got mule ones that just carry weapons and supplies and # ,they got those ones that can get where humans have difficulty, the end othe world is gonna be horrific if robotics are involved,the technology they have is frightening and thats only the stuff we know about, what about the # they are hiding from us ,i cant remember now but i think it was the U.S. military i seen a video last night saying they wanna take a troop of 6000 and replace 1000 of them with these new combat bots they have out they look like mars rovers a little,to reduce number of humans troops going out and dying,they probably get sent out with new recruites who have never been out in actual combat and are afraid to fire on another human being where as the robot wouldnt ,it would just fire as commanded

posted on Jan, 27 2014 @ 04:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Vasa Croe

Its true, and why I gave you a star. It is the main goal of most talent, to be found, and bought out. Money wins. Money is the name of the game. I was just simply stating that these big companies rarely breed any new talent. And sooner or later we will hit a bottle neck. But that would be a whole different topic for another day.

In light of AI. The AI will be a compiled version of all the acquired talent.
I personally do not know how I feel about AI, and how it will react to the user. User by its very name seems wrong if we are talking about a new life form. Sure its going to start off slow.. But once AI is aware and fully operational, do you feel its going to like being used, by us users? Or will it simply start to decide on its own how it should be. Thus based on what? What we have taught it. It will be in essence like a child. And most of us know what happens to kids that are raised by unfit parents. My 2 cents is all..
edit on 27-1-2014 by zysin5 because: fixed

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 04:13 AM
link   
a reply to: zysin5

AI is the best and the worst at the same time. You can solve problems for humanity but you also can destroy and harm humanity. In any case AI is the future. Google knows that, the governments use it and one day we will be replaced by machines. I worked at a company that developed an automated management for governments. In such cases I found it useful to have the public money being managed by an impeccable system. I just didn't understand why they tested it on African governments first when our governments are more corrupt...
But yeah, just like Elon Musk once said "We need to be super careful with AI. Potentially more dangerous than nukes". I agree on that.

new topics

top topics

join