It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

do creatures such as gnomes and elves really exist?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 21 2004 @ 08:34 PM
link   
I've always wondered if these creatures really exist, and I ask for members to reply to this based on past experiences. Thank you.

posted on Nov, 21 2004 @ 08:44 PM
link   
Well, they recently unearthed skeletons of "hobbit-sized" people on an island somewhere in the far Pacific.

Perhaps Tolkien's tale was not based entirely on fable.

Myths many times are derived from ancient fact.

posted on Nov, 21 2004 @ 09:40 PM
link   
I don't know about elves...but gnomes...kinda...

the thing i really beleive in are goblins, i live near the edge of the city so behind my house is a river and a forest. I've seen things in the woods that i cant really explain.

Well they're abbout 4 feet tall...well the best way to describe them is golem off of the lord of the rings, but they're eyes aren't as big and they have brown skin that is shiny but it looks more scaly then wet.

I see them all around my side of town late at night. They are fast runners and can jump considerable distances.

posted on Nov, 21 2004 @ 10:09 PM
link   
Did you see these before or after you ate the mushrooms with the red spots?

posted on Nov, 22 2004 @ 01:57 AM
link   
reply to post by _BLiND_

Take a picture. You got me curious now.

Mod Edit: Big Quote – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 2010/8/26 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Nov, 22 2004 @ 02:05 AM
link   
reply to post by _BLiND_

I'll believe that when me sh*t turns purple and smells like rainbow sherbet.

As if you wouldn't tape or take pics of that...

Mod Edit: Big Quote – Please Review This Link.

posted on Nov, 22 2004 @ 02:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by sweet_182_4_life
I've always wondered if these creatures really exist, and I ask for members to reply to this based on past experiences. Thank you.

By definition they havent existed, since its fairytale creatures. Whether they are BASED on something that has existed is another thing... Gnomes can easily be based on dwarfs (as in real humans, not tolkien and D&D, heh) that someone decide is "evil", then start working from there. Its so easy to build a myth out of something that doesnt really exist. We see it all the time, throughout history.

posted on Nov, 22 2004 @ 03:26 PM
link   
I doubt they exist but when the time comes to see one ill know that i was either once wrong or right lol

posted on Nov, 22 2004 @ 03:54 PM
link   
I think that they did, exist once upon a time as the fairy tales say. Most are based on real people from the past, for example the Tuatha de Dannan I think are a group of people who were driven from Ireland thousands of years ago. Their story has been changed over the years (a bit like Chinese whispers) especially when you realise than most people until recent times have been illiterate, so their stories had to be passed down by voice and memory only.

While much of the story of the Tuatha de Danann has been distorted over time, there is growing evidence that the story is based on fact. Remains from some of the battlefields have been found which cast a different light on the story as a whole. No longer are the Tuatha considered just Irish legend and fairies.

www.irishclans.com...

As for Gnomes and elves, I don't know where the Gnomes came from, but I think the elves are based on the Alvar of Norse Myth (possibly people who lived in the Germanic forests millennia ago).

Mod Edit: New External Source Tags – Please Review This Link.

posted on Nov, 25 2004 @ 07:43 PM
link   
i beleive that they do exist. As i can see you have mentioned several names or classifications. If I may ask, how many denominations are there concerning these creature? I have heard about elves, gnomes, goblins, aluxes, chanekes. I have not persnonally seen one, but there is a radio show that i listen to that is based upon paranormal events. It is not a "storytelling" show.....it works like this: Anyone who has had a paranormal experience or knows about anything paranormal, calls the show and tells the host and the listeners ( yeah , its a live show.... oh and in spanish)
I cannot recall the frequency number to this show at the time, but i think you can find it at this website, im not going to hyperlink it though.
www.lamanopeluda...@radioformula.com.mx
*I apologize if you cannot find it* it is in a column that says
" programas favoritos"
you click on it and scroll down to " la mano peluda"
again I apologize if you cannot find it.
(as you can problably tell , im new.

posted on Nov, 25 2004 @ 07:52 PM
link   
We can only hope and pray that they do exist sweet_182_4_life, for they make all our lives richer.

posted on Nov, 25 2004 @ 08:28 PM
link   
As has been concluded before in such topics, trolls are known to exist.

I own a pet hobgoblin.

posted on Nov, 25 2004 @ 08:29 PM
link   
Ive seen alot of posts on this same subject. You might want to do a search before you post.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Nov, 25 2004 @ 11:33 PM
link   
This may not help you much

But one of the race of alien the Nordics have facial features like pointing ears described by people that reported alien sightings

Also recently hobbits has been found, I'm not sure if gnome would consider to be same as hobbits.

posted on Nov, 26 2004 @ 12:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by _BLiND_
i live near the edge of the city so behind my house is a river and a forest. I've seen things in the woods that i cant really explain.

I think that ANYBODY who spends much time in or near a large wooded area, who is honest with him/her self, has most likely seen the Unexplained. Maybe just a flash at the corner of the eye so you are not sure there was anything. Perhaps a sound that seems out of place. Those legends are far too widespread to all be fiction. I think there is a factual basis. No, I do not believe all the stories. Fairies, elves, gnomes, leprechauns... Little People like these are in legends almost all around the world. Some time in our past they existed. Personally, I think they still do. Can I prove it? No, but I can't prove the existance of Bigfoot or Nessie either, and I think the evidence indicates that they do exist.

posted on Nov, 26 2004 @ 12:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by sweet_182_4_life

Since Elves are a species of creature found only in faiyr tales, no.

Although i have heard some pretty believable storys and seen some believable pictures of gnomes

posted on Apr, 30 2005 @ 11:56 AM
link   
ebolazebra can u show me where u have seen such pictures?......u really got me interested.

posted on Apr, 30 2005 @ 12:38 PM
link   
It is legend in Hawaii about the menehun'e. They are supposed to be little 2 or 3 foot people with very sharp teeth. Lots of people report seeing them.

Ya never know.

posted on Apr, 30 2005 @ 05:41 PM
link   
The El, the Elohim, The angels, elves, are all the same thing, and are most likely the product of hallucinogenics, especially ergot fungus.

Old saint nick, (you know the guy with the elves), is based on the norse tradition of the shaman climbing through the thatched roof and delivering magic mushrooms to the tribe.

Anyone who has eaten hallucinogenic mushrooms will probably tell you that they have seen dwarves, gnomes, elves, etc. In wood grain, in trees, this natural pattern recognition is most pronounced.

Meanwhile the ingestion of peyote and the drug mescaline produces the appearance of a little green man, I believe his name is Mescalato(?), its been a decade and a half since I read about this shared experience among mescal eaters.

Meanwhile the poisons in Absinthe cause hallucinations that would appear to be tinker bell type faeries. You can see these if you get hit in the head real hard, or hold your breath to a dangerous point.

The existance of historical dimunitive people's is not proof of supernatural entities.
Small people can be attributed directly to disease, malnutrition, and genetic inhertance, not unscientific fantasies.

It is well know that during the "dark ages", the growth of everything on the planet was reduced, less sunlight = less tree growth = less plant growth = less food supply = less surviving offspring = etc etc. A chain reaction.

And here we find the origin of many of our "little people" legends.

So no, dwarves, elves, gnomes, don't exist.

But smurfs do.

[edit on 30-4-2005 by Legalizer]

posted on Apr, 30 2005 @ 09:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by MaskedAvatar
As has been concluded before in such topics, trolls are known to exist.

I own a pet hobgoblin.

Could you likegive us sum more input on this. A hobgoblin, what is that? And then what do the trolls look like?

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join