It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

new noise from CPU---PLEASE HELP!!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 21 2004 @ 07:51 PM
link   
I have a Dell Dimension 4500, Win XP, SP2, w/Pentium 4 and 128 MB Ram. I have a cable connection. For the last few months, I have left it on basically 24/7, as I have read this is less wear and tear than daily boots, when it has been off all night.

Yesterday I began to hear a little noise from, I think, the back of the CPU. I have not added anything recently.
I turned it off and unplugged everything, hoping to get rid of the noise. It is still there.
It is not grinding, just a constant white noise.
I can't believe the hard drive could be failing already.

I took a flashlight and looked back there. WOW!!! Lots of dirt and dust.
Should I try to take a vaccuum to the back, without opening it of course?

I know you're not supposed to open the CPU without being grounded, and I don't know how to safely do that.
But, is cleaning out the inside something that needs to be done.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

posted on Nov, 21 2004 @ 08:01 PM
link   
To ground yourself, just place your hand on a piece of metal that is grounded to a plug (say...a refridgerator). I have a wire running to a lighting rod in my backyard, works good. Go get yourself a can of air to blow away the dust. Get the fans good and everywhere that dust would build up.

posted on Nov, 21 2004 @ 08:08 PM
link   
Thanks for the info DLM.

I have a question. I'm not totally sure all the plugs in my house are actually grounded. There was a handy-man-challenged person living here before us
What happens if I touch something metal that is not grounded?
Where do I find how to open the CPU? Is it just remove the screws in back? At what point do I need to ground myself?

Finally, could this noise just be a dirty fan?

posted on Nov, 21 2004 @ 08:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by DontTreadOnMe

Nothing...you just wouldnt get grounded. Youd still have the static charge in you.

Where do I find how to open the CPU? Is it just remove the screws in back?

Usually, on mine I just take out the screws and the 2 sides slide off. Most have like a 1 piece covering that unscrews in the back.

FYI...the CPU is the processor inside...what your talking about is just the tower.

At what point do I need to ground myself?

Before touching it...

Sounds like it to me...but better safe than sorry.

[Edited on 21-11-2004 by dreamlandmafia]

posted on Nov, 21 2004 @ 08:33 PM
link   
One last thing, do I have to keep grounded? Maybe I need to get to Radio Shack and buy one of those wrist thingies?

For any others not knowing anything about static electricity, I found this article:
www.pcworld.com...

posted on Nov, 21 2004 @ 08:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by dreamlandmafia

Nothing...you just wouldnt get grounded. Youd still have the static charge in you.

And, I could fry the CPU.
(yeah, I kinda knew the CPU part was the stuff inside. )

Sounds like it to me...but better safe than sorry.

Well, I know a dirty fan is noisier than a clean one, I'll bet your right.

[Edited on 21-11-2004 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Nov, 22 2004 @ 02:34 AM
link   
Turn the computer entirely off, pop the case open, get a can of dust-off, or a vacuum cleaner and go to town on it. It's probably built up dirt and dust built up in a fan somewhere. If you're motivated enough, you could take off all of the fans and go over them with the dust off, or vacuum cleaner. But it definitely sounds like a fan has got some dirt in it somewhere.

posted on Nov, 22 2004 @ 09:28 PM
link   
Thanks, guys, for all the help. Amazing what a little can of air can do!

BTW, Dells are weird ducks. There ARE NO screws to remove from the back. There's a large "button" on the top and the bottom of the tower. They release the sides to open like a book from the back.
My dear husband figured that one out

posted on Nov, 24 2004 @ 03:29 PM
link   

Thanks, guys, for all the help. Amazing what a little can of air can do!

BTW, Dells are weird ducks. There ARE NO screws to remove from the back. There's a large "button" on the top and the bottom of the tower. They release the sides to open like a book from the back.
My dear husband figured that one out

weird ducks are good ones...

i love dells and i am a big fan of them...

no screws = makes my life better

join