It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

REAl survival foods

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2014 @ 02:42 PM
link   
Ok,we all see the posts with 500 pounds of rice,wheat,beans,whatever...and 10k rounds of ammo..How do they intend to bug out with all of this without a U haul truck?Do they realize what 10k rounds look like on a pallet? You need a forklift just to load it all.And you plan on putting it all on your kid or wifes back to lug to a bugout campsite? Whats real,and whats BS?

posted on Jan, 25 2014 @ 02:46 PM
link   
reply to post by blkcwbyhat

Become a cannibal endless supply of food then
How about recipes for rats, they eat them in various countries, eat on the move as they say.

posted on Jan, 25 2014 @ 03:10 PM
link   

The answer to your question is pretty obvious...

They have no intention of "bugging out".

posted on Jan, 25 2014 @ 03:43 PM
link   
Twenty six packs of Reeses peanut butter cups would be better if you are on the move. As long as it is not hot outside. There is sugar, protein and fats in them. A couple of them can keep you going for a three hours or more. A can of good coffee would be necessary for the trip also.

posted on Jan, 25 2014 @ 03:51 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 25 2014 @ 04:35 PM
link   
Hunting for food is not the best approach, hunting requires you to burn energy and exposure while confined to a singular location, killing a target of opportunity is one thing but hunting not so well. You would be better off using traps and fish lines as you can cover more ground and perhaps kill a target of opportunity while out checking your traps and lines.

posted on Jan, 25 2014 @ 04:36 PM
link   

The answer to your question depends on your particular situation. Do you plan on holding in place or heading to the hills? If you hold in place, what resources are available to you? If you plan on heading to the hills, is there a particular place you are headed and what kind of survival skills do you have?

It's true, you can only carry so much before you have to scavenge or take from others. For those who've built fortresses I believe Patton said it best, "Fixed fortifications are monuments to the stupidity of man. If mountain ranges and oceans can be overcome, then anything built by man can be overcome." Helluva quote and very true. Those who plan on "Bugging-in" also have a plan to "Bug-Out."

You need to figure out what type of food/water will work best for your situation.

posted on Jan, 25 2014 @ 07:37 PM
link   

In a perfect world one would already have a fully stocked bug out site, but the vast majority of us probably don't have that luxury. Having said that, I think it is more prudent to "bug in" by staying home and fortifying your home to withstand invasion. Create a choke point, so that there is only one way in and out of your home... that way it doesn't matter if there are 30 of them, they all get bottle necked and then you can show them why exactly someone would need a 100 round drum magazine. Regardless of one's preparation, I think that it is safe to say that eventually you will die, which is why the most important preparation someone can make is their eternal preparation by accepting the Lord Jesus Christ as their savior. Once you do that, everything else is of little consequence.

posted on Jan, 25 2014 @ 07:57 PM
link   

it would help matters if you actually read and comprehended the type of post you denigrate

the people you mock are patently either planning to :

1 " bug in " - the common term for the principal of remaining at home during the crisis with their supply hoard and either defending it by force or concealing its existence by guile

2 - " buging out " - most typically a 1 to 3 day trek rellying on a single back pack [ 10 to 25kg ] - to evacuate to their supersecret mountain cabin[tm] where the 1000 ton supply cache is hidden in concealed storage

posted on Jan, 25 2014 @ 08:02 PM
link   
It all depends, just like another user said, are you bugging in or out? if your bugging in, then sure, the pallet of ammo with bags of rice an beans seems like a great idea, your also a potential bonanza for needy predators who would get into your stash an claim it there's...possibly eating you an your family as society deteriorates an mental illness kicks in.
If you bug out, well...A 50lb ruck sack packed with basic essentials an full combat load and thats just daddy, wife an kids will have their own loadouts with additional supplies, including dog.
One of those little 4 wheeled pull deals to pack on some water an viola! you got an up an running bug out kit.
For how long? that depends on you and just how bad it has gotten.
It also boils down to what type of cataclysm too, a polluted one will make people think since water will be dirty, animals diseased, mass plant die offs...
If its social disturbance an mass riots, then you only have people to worry about, bugging out of large cities is best, bugging in to small remote locations is best.

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 12:18 AM
link   

10K of ammo isn't that much. Trust me - my wife just found my XK of (rifle) rounds hidden in a closet corner.

500 lbs of 'rice' isn't all that much also. Used to buy rice by the 100lbs - doesn't take up much space. 200lbs might take up an area the size of a metal garbage can.

Any modern vehicle would only show a slight change in wheel clearance with those combined weights.

But I understand where you are going with this.

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 01:08 AM
link   

blkcwbyhat
Ok,we all see the posts with 500 pounds of rice,wheat,beans,whatever...and 10k rounds of ammo..How do they intend to bug out with all of this without a U haul truck?Do they realize what 10k rounds look like on a pallet? You need a forklift just to load it all.And you plan on putting it all on your kid or wifes back to lug to a bugout campsite? Whats real,and whats BS?

What is the point of this thread ? Are you looking for advise for your bug out kit ?

Each person is different so one size does not fit all. Is this a 72 hour bag or a long term bag ? Basics for both will include water filtration and water proof clothes. Exposure will kill you faster then anything except a loss of air.

The best place to start is picking out a good pack. I like Eberlestock,Mystery Ranch,TAD,Kifaru, Eagle. Next is picking out good clothes I like Cyre,Propper,TAD.

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 01:33 AM
link   
When on intensive long distance traveling for indefinite duration, I tend to favor beef jerky, dried fruit and granola trail mix.

Train yourself to fast for extended periods of time in order to maximize rations most effectively.

Having a guide to edible roots/cacti and berries is also advisable, stick with the known and stray from the "could be".

Of course, your terrain, resources and methodology may vary according to your personal skill set and evirons.

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 08:25 AM
link   
reply to post by CranialSponge

true,they must have no "intention" of bugging out,but if the SHTF is hurricane Katrina and you live along the coast,all your preps are lost or left behind! Personally,I think beans and rice are ok prep foods,but wheat is too much effort and time.All that ammo underwater for a few weeks will be lost,as will any generators or electrical stuff.Bugging in is a good idea,if you are in an area immune to such disasters

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 08:27 AM
link   
reply to post by ChuckNasty

10k of .22 is easy to store,but 10k of 30.06 or 12 gauge?

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 08:33 AM
link   
reply to post by GENERAL EYES

agreed,I prefer ready to eat,rather than grinding wheat! And lugging around a wheat grinder..My grain supply is mostly bisquick or pancake mixes that require no egg or milk,add water and fire and eat! I like the mre type,not the military,but the hiking stuff,but it gets a bit pricey to live on.I really prefer to dehydrate,as its lighter and I can make what I like into single serving portions.Working on instant orange juice right now!

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 08:37 AM
link   
reply to post by SubTruth

no,got my preps in decent order,just curious as to how the ones that claim to have 500# of everything will move it.I have nowhere near what they claim,and it will still take me hours to load for a bugout! Granted,I live in a low risk area,so its not likely I will need to.

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 01:20 PM
link   

blkcwbyhat
reply to post by ChuckNasty

10k of .22 is easy to store,but 10k of 30.06 or 12 gauge?

10K of 7.62x39 or 5.56

Doesn't take much room.. No pallet required.

posted on Jan, 29 2014 @ 05:05 PM
link   
I can fit 1,250 rounds of 5.56 in one ammo can. Ammo cans are not that big. as for the food. you keep it at home if you have to hunker down, in my case, im loading it up in my truck bed with my 3 months supply of food and heading to the ranch where we have one years supply of food. the ranch is only 3 hours away. Ive put 2 yards of dirt in my truck bed, it can take the weight.
edit on 29-1-2014 by camaro68ss because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2014 @ 05:10 PM
link   

OptimusSubprime

In a perfect world one would already have a fully stocked bug out site, but the vast majority of us probably don't have that luxury. Having said that, I think it is more prudent to "bug in" by staying home and fortifying your home to withstand invasion. Create a choke point, so that there is only one way in and out of your home... that way it doesn't matter if there are 30 of them, they all get bottle necked and then you can show them why exactly someone would need a 100 round drum magazine. Regardless of one's preparation, I think that it is safe to say that eventually you will die, which is why the most important preparation someone can make is their eternal preparation by accepting the Lord Jesus Christ as their savior. Once you do that, everything else is of little consequence.

dont know if you have ever ran around with a 100 round drum magazine. its heavy and make its hard to aim. If it had that great of an advantage, why doesnt the military do it?

I would stick with the 30 round mags and have a molle vest with 6 pouches

top topics

<<   2 >>

join