It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Whale slaughtering in Faroe Islands (Graphic)

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2014 @ 01:32 PM
link   
If the whales are so smart, why do they keep coming back to be slaughtered year after year?

In all seriousness, Stirling was right. Arrogance is the reason people get so worked up over a centuries-old cultural practice.
Without even bothering to inform themselves on the subject, many condemn the 'whale murderers' as uncivilized, bloodthirsty, and therefore inferior. After all, only a lesser being would take part in such savagery.

I would imagine European settlers in the new world held similar opinions of the native Americans. Ironic then, how many of the same people now attacking the Faroe Islanders would be quick to malign Europeans for looking down upon native American behavior.

The more practical sides of the issue -- like availability of food and the actual impact on the whale population -- are far too factual in nature to be of any importance. At least not to the ignorant, emotionally judgmental elitists who want to eat well but don't want to acknowledge a drop of blood shed in the process.

posted on Jan, 27 2014 @ 01:45 PM
link   

OpenMindedRealist
If the whales are so smart, why do they keep coming back to be slaughtered year after year?

In all seriousness, Stirling was right. Arrogance is the reason people get so worked up over a centuries-old cultural practice.
Without even bothering to inform themselves on the subject, many condemn the 'whale murderers' as uncivilized, bloodthirsty, and therefore inferior. After all, only a lesser being would take part in such savagery.

I would imagine European settlers in the new world held similar opinions of the native Americans. Ironic then, how many of the same people now attacking the Faroe Islanders would be quick to malign Europeans for looking down upon native American behavior.

The more practical sides of the issue -- like availability of food and the actual impact on the whale population -- are far too factual in nature to be of any importance. At least not to the ignorant, emotionally judgmental elitists who want to eat well but don't want to acknowledge a drop of blood shed in the process.

It's a very very old tradition, kinda like offering animals to god which is still being practised. The Europians where showing savage behaviour in America, killing bizons as many as they could (for fun/shooting when on the train) and to hurt the indians most likely). Bizons where food, housing (the skin) and even clothing for the indians. So bizons for them in those days where just very important, not to killed without reason/use (and it was even dangerous for them, good change many died trying to kill bizons).

I guess some traditions as all things must move with the time, not to be followed generation on generation just because their fathers did the same.
Long time ago they had traditions in some places offering people.. just another stupid tradition, not worth it.

It's funny that you Judge those who don't like this tradition, I could say the same to you, who are you to Judge them, you sound like some emotional elitist, lol. Why make it personal?
They do that in politics often where they go attack the other, instead on focussing on the subject.

edit on 27-1-2014 by Plugin because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2014 @ 01:54 PM
link   
Lol @ the people that suggest they should kill other animals because killing these animals is bad.

posted on Jan, 27 2014 @ 02:11 PM
link   

stirling
Bleeding hearts amuse at timers......
Are you all aware of the horrendous slaughter which we as a species have wrought on the world since time immemorial......
These people very likely dont have a lot of resources to feed themselves there.......
The whale hunt is older than the whole USA by 200 yrs....
Who the hay are we to call thiese people down.....
I see you are all against globalism, but cannot resist sticking yer noses in others business wherever they may be.....
Oh the arrogance of it all....after all only you know best.......

OHHHHHH....

Since this outdates the USA by 200 years, it is OKAY?? Yeah you are right.....It predates the USA, which makes it all better! I hope you can tell your therapist about this story....

posted on Jan, 27 2014 @ 02:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Chrisfishenstein

Ehm yeah, you have a pretty big mouth for someone unable to grasp the actual point of a post.

Do Americans kill animals for their meat?

I think they do. So should I judge Americans for killing cows? I mean they are so cute(cows).

These people have been doing this for ages, for food. Who are you to judge them?

posted on Jan, 27 2014 @ 03:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Plugin

I get your point, and agree that tradition alone is a poor justification for doing anything. I think the language barrier obscured some of the satire in my previous post.

Still, I am only calling a spade a spade. I don't make a habit of quoting the bible, but "judge not lest ye be judged." The naysayers judged the Faroe Islanders first, and I summarily judged them. Then you judged me, and the cycle continues.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join