It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Brrrrrr .... Its -16 and we have frozen pipes ....

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 09:37 AM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

Lmao yeah.. those zig zag ice lines. If you look closer, they are actually inside the car. Its pretty nice looking.. like decals.

My back defroster worked, but when it automatically shutoff after 15 min or so, the ice came back.

Taking my first breathe outside thru my nose made insides stick together lol

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 09:41 AM
link   
reply to post by luciddream

oh these are on the outside. I tried to chip them off but now they have the density of Kevlar. But now I am going to check to see if there are any on the inside.

I decided this morning that if I ever get to buy a house, a garage is definetly a priority.

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 09:43 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

Feel for you guys. Last time we got hit hard in the St.Louis area my pipes froze up. I live in a mobile home park and I had my brother rewrap the pipe really good with insulation and heat tape.They froze up anyway.Come to find out the maintenance people had not put the heat rod in the main water supply all the way so it froze up solid. It took the guy 2 days to get it unfrozen. Luckily my pipes didn't burst.But my one car froze solid so you couldn't get the doors open, and the screen door on the house froze solid too so I had to pry open that door to get in and out.This time We don't seem to be getting hit as hard thank goodness.Will keep you all in my thoughts while you are going through this.

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 11:57 AM
link   
It's +8 over here in Goldielocks land.

"Not too hot, not too cold, but just right."

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 12:16 PM
link   
A tip FWIW. If your faucets won't flow due to cold and you have a water meter outside somewhere in a pit, take the cover off and drop a lightbulb on an extension cord down in there and let it sit. Frequently, the ice will be right at the meter, not in the actual lines. If you go long enough though, the lines themselves will freeze and potentially burst. Thawing out that spot at the meter will frequently allow the water to run again and help avoid an expensive and PITA maintenance issue.

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 12:31 PM
link   

I hope you warm up soon with minimal damage! Enjoy the peace though, there is nothing quite like the silence of a good snow. As far as pipes go, up here I have heat trace on all of my lines that leave the house so they can be plugged in to warm them up. I realized that a similar and much cheaper fix might be a seed warming mat. It is simply a thin mat with a heating element within, like an electric blanket made of flexible plastic. Maybe one could be wrapped around the main line to facilitate the thawing process before it causes the damage? Best of luck to you! Frozen pipes are no fun.

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 07:06 PM
link   
WHOOOOOOSH ... pipes just unfroze. Shook the house. I'm surprised they let go. I figured they'd stay frozen for a few more days. It's still record breaking cold here and it's expected to go low again. "Someone" must have helped it along for us ...

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 08:33 PM
link   

FlyersFan
"Someone" must have helped it along for us ...

No problem. The Bill is in the mail.

posted on Jan, 23 2014 @ 01:00 AM
link   

AK907ICECOLD

Try working outside in -50 degrees ambient.

Pipes frozen sucks!

A hint: Trickle a steam of water at luke-warm out of your faucet, it will prevent frozen pipes. Please take that seriously, I have lived in Alaska for over 30 years and never had that problem. It can be -30+ for 2 months or longer.

Us Alaskans produce children during these months more than any other months

edit on 22-1-2014 by AK907ICECOLD because: (no reason given)

I am still waiting for that one, I should be going up to the slope in Febuary.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join