It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US occupier threatens capital punishment for oppositional Imams

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 21 2004 @ 11:08 AM
link   
BAGHDAD, November 21 (IslamOnline.net) � The interim Iraqi government of Iyad Allawi has threatened to charge anti-US occupation imams with high treason, which carries capital punishment, an Iraqi newspaper reported Saturday, November20 .

Interim Interior Minister Fallah Al-Naqib said imams inciting �bloodshed from their pulpits� will be treated as traitors and brought to justice, said Al- Moatamar newspaper, the mouthpiece of Ahmed Chalabi�s Iraqi National Congress.

Thaer Al-Naqib, the spokesman for the interim government, said Iraqi authorities arrested last week firebrand imams in the northern city of Mosul, adding they would be held accountable for their �fiery sermons.�

Under the current Iraqi penal code, high treason is only applied with unpatriotic acts such as espionage and tampering with national security and economy.

www.uruknet.info...

Does that sound democratic to you ?

posted on Nov, 21 2004 @ 11:13 AM
link   
The IRS has it in their codes that any sermon in the states that is "fire and brimstone" can lead to the church losing its non-profit status. Ever wonder why those old preachers died off? Sound like freedom to you?

posted on Nov, 21 2004 @ 11:20 AM
link   
The whole heart of the issue Moku is:

"The government is determined to pursue those who incite acts of violence. A number of mosques' clerics who have publicly called for taking the path of violence have been arrested and will be legally tried," said Thair Al Naqeeb, Prime Minister Eyad Allawi's spokesman.

"Some mosque clerics incite people to kill the police and the National Guard...They're considered participating in terrorism."

Allawi warns clerics inciting violence of arrests and trial

So let me guess, ending acts of violence is deemed undemocratic, eh?

seekerof

posted on Nov, 22 2004 @ 02:20 AM
link   
Mokuhadzushi, these people are telling their zealots to kill. I have seen Sadr in person, and I have heard him speak. These clerics are truly and purposely whipping their followers into a blood-frenzy, often to further their political aspirations, a continuous effort to fill the vacuum created by the fall of Sadam. This is a crime no matter how you look at it, unless you support murder as a legitimate means to reach your political goals, and I don't think that is something you advocate based on you posts.

You, like many others here, have allowed your hatred of this war and the administration in power to fill you with negativity. Is that what you want, to constantly project the image of a negative, hateful person?

I am not a big war supporter, however I couldn�t help but comment on at least one of the many hate-blinded comments you have made.

Your hatred of war mongering ignorance has blinded you, and your ignorance is blinding to all who look at it.

posted on Nov, 22 2004 @ 02:25 AM
link   
Just out of curiosity how did you manage to see Sadr in person, and do you speak Arabic (does Sadr speak Arabic?)?

posted on Nov, 22 2004 @ 02:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ibn Iblis
Just out of curiosity how did you manage to see Sadr in person, and do you speak Arabic (does Sadr speak Arabic?)?

I was in Camp Marlboro, a small Army camp right in the heart of Sadr City (named for his father), Sept 03 to April 04. He was a guest of the Army on more than one occasion, and we had to go kick him out of government buildings he tried to take possession of more than once. Most of our problems there were from his militia. He was our �Buddy,� our pet terrorist.

I speak just enough Arabic to get a hot meal and a pack of smokes in an Arabic speaking country, however we had very trustworthy interpreters with us everywhere we went, and Sadr would even have some of his flyers printed in English just for us, something about an obligation to provide the infidels enlightenment, or some thing like that. You have to remember that before he made the news here in the states, he was just a small time cleric with a famous (and righteous, from what I know) father.

[edit on 22-11-2004 by cavscout]

posted on Nov, 22 2004 @ 02:50 AM
link   

and Sadr would even have some of his flyers printed in English just for us, something about an obligation to provide the infidels enlightenment, or some thing like that.

Sounds like a nice guy

Translating death threats in english to you before he starts an insurgency.

I think this guys a kook, he's manipulating the Iraq youth and population with propaganda to gain support for his own sociopolitical desires. Then again, so is the states.

Deep

posted on Nov, 22 2004 @ 03:03 AM
link   
Say, can any of you all tell me what happened to him? I got back in April, and I haven�t been dealing with that kind of stuff very well, so I quit following Iraq stuff (especially Sadr stuff) around May, other than the occasional story I hear like this topic. Last I heard he was holed up and we were going in to get him, but I never heard what became of him and that was a long time ago.

posted on Nov, 22 2004 @ 03:27 AM
link   
Allawi is wanted for embezelment and other 'coporate' type crimes in other middle eastern countries, and we installed him as governor of Iraq.
Their reasons for rejecting the interim government go beyond just hating the US.

posted on Nov, 22 2004 @ 03:31 AM
link   
After a throrough considerations of all the facts at hand, i come to this conclusion. The two only differences between Bush and Saddam are :

1) Saddam told the truth while Bush lied about WMD

2) Bush wouldnt use chemical weapons to quell an insurgency, he uses 500-pound bombs and artillery fire. (and perhaps napalm?)

posted on Nov, 22 2004 @ 04:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mokuhadzushi

After a throrough considerations of all the facts at hand, i come to this conclusion. The two only differences between Bush and Saddam are :

1) Saddam told the truth while Bush lied about WMD

2) Bush wouldnt use chemical weapons to quell an insurgency, he uses 500-pound bombs and artillery fire. (and perhaps napalm?)

You see, exactly my point. What did that have to do with Iraqi leaders ordering war crimes? You are capable of very little other than Bush-bashing, even to the point of getting off-topic, on your own thread, and proving me right. Really annoying.

Unless, of course, you are saying it is alright for them to target innocent Iraqis based on your position that Bush and Sadam are essentially alike. Two wrongs don't make a right. Even if Pres. Bush is completely wrong, that does not make the avocation of targeting innocents right. Can't you see that?

This is not an issue of Pres. Bush is wrong and the Iraqi fighters are right. With or without putting Pres. Bush into the mix, ordering or supporting the targeting of civilians is wrong on every level.

Do you really want to back up your position on the war by supporting the killing of Iraqis? Do you hate that much?

[edit on 22-11-2004 by cavscout]

new topics

top topics

join