It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Religious Hiatus

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2014 @ 05:16 PM
link   
Whaaaat ? I was going to reply to a thread which was posted 3 minutes earlier and this is what it lead me

3 minutes ??? All I can say it was a sudden death for discussion. I can understand when its about religion people might get tensed but in overall could you at least let people post and observe what people are saying instead not allowing to reply at all...

posted on Jan, 16 2014 @ 05:21 PM
link   
reply to post by dollukka

What's happening is, people are writing threads with religious overtones in other forums, to avoid the ban. The threads are then being sent to one of the two religious forums, that have been locked all week. That's why some have been able to comment, while you are not.

edit on 16-1-2014 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2014 @ 05:24 PM
link   

That thread was first posted in "Origins and Creationism", and only became inaccessible when it was transferred.

edit on 16-1-2014 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2014 @ 05:24 PM
link   
Religion and politics do seem to cause the most arguments.
That's why they're never to be discussed at the dinner table.

posted on Jan, 16 2014 @ 05:29 PM
link   
reply to post by windword

Thank you for the heads up.. wasn´t sure why i was not able to reply..
but doesn´t this forum lock up create more work for mods, instead of one forum they have to keep their eyes open in every other forums for them...

I guess we naughty little atsers have earned our punishment lol

posted on Jan, 16 2014 @ 05:34 PM
link   

That's why shutting the Theology forum outright would solve nothing.
All the negative stuff would just migrate to "Rant" (we've had examples in the past).

edit on 16-1-2014 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2014 @ 05:47 PM
link   

Surely "...an abundance of intense bickering and name calling from all sides of the dogmatic debate (good use of alliteration!) wrt religion reflects reality as has been since religion began?

Mind you, I would not want the Moderators job having seen one or two "religious" threads!

posted on Jan, 16 2014 @ 06:05 PM
link   
ATS should just let the "Religious Debate" threads run. It's a good study in human nature, if nothing else, to see the diverse comments. Why the sensitivity about it? So what if people bicker and insult each other? Can't we agree to disagree? It's the gosh-darned internet for gosh-sakes!

Attn: Please exit the same way you came in. Pushing, shoving, kicking, biting....

posted on Jan, 16 2014 @ 06:12 PM
link   
I think its pretty nice they allow a time out and cater to the membership as they do AKA babysitting adults.

Now on my board.. that bickering crap starts I let it go for a while.. then post ban without notice. They freak out for a minute.. then get over themselves most of the time. You do this a few times posters get punchy and skittish. They wonder when Ill post ban them so they attempt to be civil... cause Im sneaky.

So thank your lucky stars you have the great mods and admins here at ATS.. and not me.

posted on Jan, 16 2014 @ 07:24 PM
link   
I didn't even know about that. Thanks for the heads up.
And it's pretty messed up that it came to that.

I hope they leave the philosophy forum alone I plan to post a ton in there this weekend.

I don't have any trouble with anyone arguing in my recent thread it's like a quiet sanctuary sorta.
Haha, think of the Irony!

posted on Jan, 16 2014 @ 07:35 PM
link   

muzzleflash
I didn't even know about that. Thanks for the heads up.
And it's pretty messed up that it came to that.

I hope they leave the philosophy forum alone I plan to post a ton in there this weekend.

I don't have any trouble with anyone arguing in my recent thread it's like a quiet sanctuary sorta.
Haha, think of the Irony!

Ill have to find it and cause a ruckus. Youre cute when youre all flustery and mad.. flurries of links and proof flying all over the place.

Seriously though, looking forward to the new thread(s)! Its one of my fave boards to read.. and think.. and not post much. LOL!

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 06:18 AM
link   
Closing the off topic religion forum forever would be awesome.

Re-opening the conspiracy in religion forum, with a reminder that it's for CONSPIRACIES and not for proselytizing or theological 'holy book' bickering, would be good.

IMHO

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 06:34 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

And filling the Rant forum with anti-theist diatribes (which is what would happen) would be an improvement?
Only the positive discussion would be blocked out, while the negatives remained rampant.
Throwing away the baby, keeping the bathwater. Lovely.

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 06:37 AM
link   
I really enjoy the religion forums, outside of the hateful commentators. I do hope folks can learn a bit of respect for one another sometime in the future. I'm sure some are itching like they have a rash for it to reopen.

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 06:44 AM
link   

DISRAELI
Throwing away the baby, keeping the bathwater. Lovely.

The off topic religion forum has no babies that could be thrown out.
It's just a mess.

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 06:48 AM
link   

Nonsense.
For a start, there are my own threads.
Over the last couple of years, three series of threads, about three dozen altogether, NOT attacking other people's religion- and indeed, for that matter, not being attacked themselves by the flamers.
And another series to come on the Pentateuch laws, similarly non-attacking.
That remark was a cursory and inaccurate generalisation not worthy of an acute oberver.

The blueprints of the church
The unseen husband
Teacher of Faith and Wisdom
Pure gold- "though I say it as shouldn't".
edit on 17-1-2014 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 06:56 AM
link   
reply to post by DISRAELI

Oh stop. You are taking it personally and actually you just proved my point.
I have a very different opinion from you and you called it 'nonsense'.
And you made the snarky 'lovely' comment previously.

Perfect example of how easily a religious discussion forum can easily turn to puke ..
and we didn't even get into theology.

I'm sure ATS won't close it for good. But I still wish they would.
You are free to wish otherwise. (and I won't get 'snarky' with you for wishing it so)

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 07:07 AM
link   

If you say "there is no worthwhile content in that forum" ("no baby") then ANYONE with content in that forum is logically entitled to take it personally. It's like saying "every man in that room is an idiot", which any man in the room would apply to himself.

(To be honest, this was less "taking it personally" than some cheeky thread promotion)

PS You think this discussion is negative? But this is in the "Rant" forum. Which illustrates what I suggested earlier, that closing one forum would have no effect in stopping negativity, because it would simply migrate to Rant.
So that demonstrates my point.

edit on 17-1-2014 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 10:37 AM
link   

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 02:19 PM
link   
I truly enjoy the Religion forums. Even some of the more heated debates.

But I understand needing to shut it down for a week or so. The moderator's I'm sure - were on constant survelliance in that forum with their fingers poised to remove a rude or inflammatory post. Then the backlash, a pm every few hours with a member complaint about post bans, deleted threads... whining. It can be a nightmare. I know I use to moderate a spiritual debate forum.

I do hope it reopens for members. A few years ago when I was looking for a conspiracy forum group, that was part of the criteria for a place I would join. Do they have subsections on religion, spirituality, and philosophy? ATS fit and now here I've been ever since!

CdT

top topics

<<   2 >>

join