It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

47 Senators Take AIPAC’s Word Over U.S. Intel Community

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2014 @ 11:11 PM
link   
47 Senators Take AIPAC’s Word Over U.S. Intel Community

The American Israel Public Affairs Committee (AIPAC) has published the list of senators who so far have agreed to co-sponsor the Nuclear Weapon Free Iran Act of 2013, aka the Wag the Dog Act of 2014. You’ll recall that the initial list, which was introduced by its principal engineers, Sens. Mark Kirk and Robert Menendez, Dec 19, included 26 co-sponsors equally divided between Democrats and Republicans, to which newly elected New Jersey Sen. Cory Booker quickly added his name. Since then, 20 other senators — all Republicans, unsurprisingly — have added their names, for a grand total of 47 — still short of a majority, let alone one that could survive an Obama veto that the White House has already committed the president to cast if the bill is passed in its present form.

Here again we have Senators that are supposed to be working for America that are putting the interests of a foreign nation before the interests of America. And all for the almighty dollar. And of course we have the usual Israel firsters Lindsey Graham, and John McCain in the list. These people sell themselves so much they should be charged with prostitution.

posted on Jan, 13 2014 @ 11:33 PM
link   

buster2010
Here again we have Senators that are supposed to be working for America that are putting the interests of a foreign nation before the interests of America. And all for the almighty dollar. And of course we have the usual Israel firsters Lindsey Graham, and John McCain in the list. These people sell themselves so much they should be charged with prostitution.

Harry Reid Blocks Iran Sanctions Vote

Inside the White House War on Dems - The Obama administration is going to war with its own party to save its peace talks with Iran.

Sanctions if the current diplomatic initiative falls through -

Meehan’s statement was issued the same day Senate Foreign Relations Committee Chairman Robert Menendez (D-NJ) published a Washington Post op-ed arguing in favor of legislation that would spell out Congressional parameters for a final nuclear deal with Iran and propose new sanctions that would take effect if diplomacy falls through.

In the op-ed Menendez called his legislation a “diplomatic insurance policy” and “an act of reasonable pragmatism.”

Its supported by a majority in the Senate on both sides of the aisle -

But the White House’s warnings have had little effect. Menendez and Sen. Mark Kirk introduced their bill on Dec. 16 with 13 Republican co-sponsors and 14 Democratic co-sponsors. The bill now has 59 co-sponsors, including 16 Democrats.

What the Obama-Iran agreement does not do -

IAEA gains more Iran access, but not enough for bomb probe

Reuters) - The U.N. nuclear watchdog's increased access in Iran to monitor a landmark agreement with world powers still falls short of what it says it needs to investigate suspicions that Tehran may have worked on designing an atomic bomb.

The deal struck in Geneva seven weeks ago focuses on capping Iran's output of fissile material, which can be used for atomic arms if refined further, and not on any research it may have undertaken in how to make a bomb out of it.

However, the agreement between Iran and the United States, France, Germany, Britain, China and Russia - meant to buy time for talks on a final settlement of the decade-old nuclear dispute - only vaguely refers to the IAEA's investigation.

It does not, for example, say anything about the U.N. agency's repeated requests to visit the Parchin military base.

The IAEA suspects that Iran has carried out explosives tests relevant for nuclear bomb development at the facility southeast of Tehran, possibly a decade ago. Iran denies this and has so far refused to open it up for the inspectors.

The watchdog also wants to see other locations, interview officials and study relevant documents for its inquiry into what it calls the "possible military dimensions" to Iran's nuclear program, known under the acronym PMD.

A Western diplomat who closely tracks Iran developments but is not from one of the six powers - known as P5+1 as they group the five permanent U.N. Security Council members plus Germany -said the Geneva agreement "almost totally neglects" this issue.

"Do we take the P5+1's relative silence on PMD as sign that it will only get lip service now and that the past is the past?" the envoy said.

"Or is it simply a sign that we need to calm the situation now in the present, thereby build some confidence, and then they will help ensure PMD and other past issues are fully addressed before this file is declared resolved?"

The Vienna-based IAEA has been investigating accusations for several years that Iran may have coordinated efforts to process uranium, test explosives and revamp a missile cone in a way suitable for a nuclear warhead.

Iran says such claims are baseless and forged.

Click links for the remainder of the articles / information as to the issues the agreement does not resolve in reference to irans nuke program and the IAEA.

While I get the intent of the op, I think there is more involved than what's being portrayed in the op post/article. finally, the white House has consistently refused to release the entire text of the agreement with Iran.

Why?
edit on 13-1-2014 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2014 @ 04:41 AM
link   
IAEA says nuclear talks with Iran postponed to February 8

VIENNA (Reuters) - The U.N. nuclear watchdog said on Tuesday a planned meeting with Iran next week to discuss steps meant to help allay concern over its nuclear program had been postponed to February 8, without giving a reason.

IAEA gains more Iran access, but not enough for bomb probe Reuters
U.N. watchdog eyes increased Iran presence to verify nuclear deal Reuters
Report: Iran says all sides agree to nuclear deal Associated Press
U.S. details Iran sanctions relief under nuclear deal Reuters
UN nuclear experts to visit Iran on Saturday AFP

The talks between Iran and the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) are separate from - though still closely linked with - broader diplomacy between Tehran and six world powers over Iran's disputed nuclear activity.

In November, Iran and the IAEA agreed a cooperation pact, including six initial steps to be taken by the country over the following three months, including access to two nuclear-related facilities and the provision of information.

They said after a review meeting last month they would meet again in Tehran on January 21 to discuss the next steps under the framework agreement. An IAEA spokeswoman confirmed in an e-mail a report that the date of the meeting had been postponed.

The IAEA wants Iran to address allegations that it has researched how to develop nuclear bombs, a charge Iran denies. Tehran says the nuclear program is entirely peaceful.

Click link for remainder of article...

The meeting revolves around the suspected weapons program.
edit on 14-1-2014 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

Question -

Do we really think Iran has changed its course on its weapons program?
edit on 14-1-2014 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2014 @ 09:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

According to every intelligence agency on the planet including the Mossad Iran has no weapons program. Iran has had more inspections than any other nation on the planet and still no evidence of a bomb. It's time we placed sanctions on Israel and demand that their illegal nuke, chemical, and biological weapon stockpile be inspected by the IAEA and that they sign the NPT.

posted on Jan, 14 2014 @ 09:44 AM
link   
double post
edit on 14-1-2014 by buster2010 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2014 @ 10:14 PM
link   
reply to post by buster2010

The IAEA would disagree with that assessment.

posted on Jan, 15 2014 @ 02:58 AM
link   

Xcathdra

Yet they still have no proof, but yea keep up the iran will bomb the world.
Care to find proof or just copy and paste news articles or blogs lol.

posted on Jan, 15 2014 @ 02:59 AM
link   

dukeofjive696969

Xcathdra

UN IAEA - Iran nuclear program

Would you like me to read it for you also?

posted on Jan, 15 2014 @ 04:03 AM
link   
what I don't get ? iran already has the best of both worlds, they have radiological bomb material and a means of delivery into the U.S., via venezeula, brazil etc up through central america, into mexico and across the border via train or truck. canada works the same way. then you take that stuff and detonate it or drop it in water supplies or stash it on some school buses! or put it on a boat and motor it right up the potomac to d.c. or maybe smear it on the seats of the rides at disneyland or maybe pollute the bacon supply! (of course if you do that, we will launch EVERY icbm we posses, every bomber, every cruise missile, every asroc, everything. we'll be flying crappy little cessna's and dropping old dental x-ray machine on your heads! the equivalent of the kitchen sink in thermonuclear parlance !
you just don't mess with a persons bacon! EVER) piece of cake ! so iran and iranians, what's holding you back, i'm just curious. we know everyone iran hates U.S. and RIGHT BACK AT YOU, what is holding you back ? i believe the word we can BOTh agree on is FEAR. FEAR on both sides. and there's ony ONE thing angry monkeys should do when something makes them afraid, kill that somethig. 2016. its on like donkey kong

edit on 1152014 by tencap77 because: spelling and a huge desire to make it through another phsycotic episode without gettin 2 carried away

posted on Jan, 15 2014 @ 06:16 AM
link   

Xcathdra

Is this the IAEA the same IAEA that claimed Iraq had WMDs to?

posted on Jan, 15 2014 @ 06:17 AM
link   

Xcathdra Your starting sound a bit like those war mongerers, in the report there is no mention that Iran is making any WMDs.
edit on 15-1-2014 by Agent_USA_Supporter because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2014 @ 06:18 AM
link   

Xcathdra

dukeofjive696969

Xcathdra

UN IAEA - Iran nuclear program

Would you like me to read it for you also?

Is this your proof of the Iranian WMD?

posted on Jan, 15 2014 @ 06:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Agent_USA_Supporter

No...

It would be the link to the UN IAEA I provided.

and long time no debate... welcome back

posted on Jan, 15 2014 @ 07:17 AM
link   

Thanks for the welcome i have being busy still my time would be limited sadly.

posted on Jan, 15 2014 @ 07:28 AM
link   

buster2010

According to every intelligence agency on the planet including the Mossad Iran has no weapons program. Iran has had more inspections than any other nation on the planet and still no evidence of a bomb. It's time we placed sanctions on Israel and demand that their illegal nuke, chemical, and biological weapon stockpile be inspected by the IAEA and that they sign the NPT.

It's the Iraq initiative. Say that the country has something super dangerous and deadly over and over again in lieu of proof until everyone believes you even with overwhelming evidence to the contrary. Looks like it still works on the international stage. I say we inspect Israel's nuclear weapons instead, seeing as how they actually HAVE the bomb but for some reason are allowed to refuse to have their weapons inspected. But they can demand other countries that don't even have the bomb be inspected.
edit on 15-1-2014 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2014 @ 03:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Krazysh0t

So are we going to ignore WikiLeaks then?

Agent_USA_Supporter

Thanks for the welcome i have being busy still my time would be limited sadly.

It happens... Stop in when u get time. I miss the arguments.
edit on 16-1-2014 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2014 @ 06:08 AM
link   

What no one can tell me is what exactly is needed for nuclear power...

What are the processes and at what percent does the enrichment need to be for efficient nuclear power?

What does the US have for nuclear power plants?

Because seriously, this is what I am getting...

Low-enriched uranium (LEU) has a lower than 20% concentration of 235U. For use in commercial light water reactors (LWR), the most prevalent power reactors in the world, uranium is enriched to 3 to 5% 235U. Fresh LEU used in research reactors is usually enriched 12% to 19.75% U-235, the latter concentration being used to replace HEU fuels when converting to LEU.

HEU [highly enriched uranium] is also used in fast neutron reactors, whose cores require about 20% or more of fissile material, as well as in naval reactors, where it often contains at least 50% 235U, but typically does not exceed 90%. The Fermi-1 commercial fast reactor prototype used HEU with 26.5% 235U. Significant quantities of HEU are used in the production of medical isotopes, for example molybdenum-99 for technetium-99m generators.

a minimum of 20% could be sufficient (called weapon(s)-usable) although it would require hundreds of kilograms of material and "would not be practical to design";
en.wikipedia.org...

So, what I am understanding is that Iran is not a threat, and there are legitimate, decidedly unwarlike reasons for enrichment.

Am I missing something here? Or are people just jumping up and down fear mongering? Last I heard the majority of Iran's enrichment is at 3.5% and some (much fewer) up to 18% enrichment...All of this according to reality coupled with logic says that Iran is not trying to make any bombs.
edit on 16-1-2014 by OpinionatedB because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join