It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Act of Killing - The Most Disturbing Documentary I've Ever Seen

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2014 @ 12:26 PM
link   

I have seen a lot of disturbing documentaries and I've seen literally hundreds of movies meant to horrify and shock. But none of them hold a candle to the documentary "The Act of Killing."

In Indonesia, between 1965 and 1966, about 1 million communists were killed. If someone was suspected to be a communist, they were, and some groups, ethnic Chinese, many farmers and union workers, were automatically communists. These executions were handled by gangster and paramilitary members. "The Act of Killing" takes a group of these men, who are obsessed with movies, and lets them make a movie about their actions in any way they want.

I have never heard so many people talk so casually about such brutality. One of them claims he killed over 1,000 people. They show no regret and revel in how relentless they were. They're so excited that their story will be told and how extreme it will be. They make the poor of their area play extras, making them cry and scream for their family members or as they pretend their house is burning down. When you see elderly people participating you know that they lived through this same thing.

In the present day, you see government officials still praising and associating with these men. They hold gangsters in very high regard. The Indonesian word for gangster is "Premen," which they tell us endlessly comes from the English "free men." At one point some of them go on a morning talk show to talk about their movie and there's this smiling lady host talking to them about how they exterminated people. It's one of the most surreal things I've seen.

You also see bits of the gangsters at work, doing shake downs. At one point, one of the main guys is running for Parliament and he outlines his exortion plan to get tens of thousands of dollars out of the poor.

The most haunting part is probably the scene where this guy, who is neighbors with one of the killers, tells this story to these men about how his step-father was killed by gangsters/paramilitary. It's this horrifying story about how they find him under half of an oil drum and he has to bury him in a shallow grave by the roadside. And during it he's trying to laugh, because he can't insult these guys and he doesn't want them to think he's weak, but he's obviously in a lot of pain. The next scene is them filming a part of the movie where the storyteller is tortured and killed and you can see him crying.

It's something that really needs to be seen to believed. It's insane and disgusting and uncomfortable and you just wonder why nothing has been done about these men and just how dark humanity can be.

posted on Jan, 12 2014 @ 12:55 PM
link   
Wow...

I...I don't even know what to say honestly.

But, I can't say that I am COMPLETELY surprised. I see all kinds of crazy stories on a daily basis. I've lost the ability to be purely surprised at this point.

Anyway, I think I'll have to try and watch that documentary. Any idea where I could find it? Preferably a place where I watch it free? (not illegally though.)

EDIT: Here is the full version. Found it in English.

www.movie4k.to...
edit on 12-1-2014 by Lingweenie because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2014 @ 01:01 PM
link   
reply to post by SaulGoodman

People like them is one of the reasons why so many people willingly participated in many brutal genocides such as the Holocaust and the Stalinist Genocides

posted on Jan, 12 2014 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Just like most other murders/serial killers...they have an almost care free way of describing who or how they murdered...he's a murder...people will be shocked watching it but it will still be glorified..a shame indeed

posted on Jan, 12 2014 @ 02:24 PM
link   

For those of you who have access to the "Usenet (Binaries)" its available there, in various
varations Xvid/HDTV etc

NZB-Search (Act of Killing) for usenet

edit on 12/1/14 by D0MiNAT0R 1OOO because: (no reason given)

Its also available (Indonesian.Language) on Youtube the complete 2:30h version

Youtube-Link Act of Killing

posted on Jan, 12 2014 @ 03:23 PM
link   
I am shocked at your shock.

We are so inured in our own hubris as to believe that we are not animals. That we are not capable of such things.

The only difference between ourselves and animals is that animals typically do not kill what they do not need.

posted on Jan, 12 2014 @ 03:23 PM
link   
Coming soon to a neighborhood theater near you!

Coming later to a neighborhood near you...

posted on Jan, 16 2014 @ 05:44 PM
link   
This is now on Netflix Instant. I highly recommend watching it.

We all know that humans are cruel, but when you see it like this it's still mind blowing.

posted on Jan, 16 2014 @ 05:48 PM
link   
Then you should watch the Cannibal Warlords of Liberia.

posted on Mar, 7 2014 @ 12:10 AM
link   
Well im 7 minutes into the movie and I think its FAKE.. they asked the Killers to Re-create their killing sprees.. ho.. how do you not thing these guys will embellish them? it's all made up!!

Sure some bad folks killed some other bad or good folks.. who knows.. one things for sure.. it didn't happen like this.. waste iof time.

I cannot see any reason to watch more of this Crap.

Look, you wanna see horror? watch Bestgore.com. On there they have beheadings everyday - Mexican cartel thugs who kidnap and kill innocent Mexican government officials who just want to make things right for the Cartel opperesssed citizens. See the Carnage! Ever see a live beautiful human girl get split toe to head slowly with a rusty knife.. takes about 20 minutes.. Now you can! And YOU should.. to know whats really going on..

America wants to claim it can threaten Russia for their involvement in the Ukraine but they dont step in right next door where our friends are getting murdered and they are letting the drugs flow....

I say,, think again.. this is Not My government and it Needs to GO. What do that say.. cut off the head of the snake.. Obama.. your time..is UP. The American People will see to that you bastard.
edit on 7-3-2014 by JohnPhoenix because: sp

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 03:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: JohnPhoenix
Well im 7 minutes into the movie and I think its FAKE.. they asked the Killers to Re-create their killing sprees.. ho.. how do you not thing these guys will embellish them? it's all made up!!

Sure some bad folks killed some other bad or good folks.. who knows.. one things for sure.. it didn't happen like this.. waste iof time.

I cannot see any reason to watch more of this Crap.

Look, you wanna see horror? watch Bestgore.com. On there they have beheadings everyday - Mexican cartel thugs who kidnap and kill innocent Mexican government officials who just want to make things right for the Cartel opperesssed citizens. See the Carnage! Ever see a live beautiful human girl get split toe to head slowly with a rusty knife.. takes about 20 minutes.. Now you can! And YOU should.. to know whats really going on..

America wants to claim it can threaten Russia for their involvement in the Ukraine but they dont step in right next door where our friends are getting murdered and they are letting the drugs flow....

I say,, think again.. this is Not My government and it Needs to GO. What do that say.. cut off the head of the snake.. Obama.. your time..is UP. The American People will see to that you bastard.

I know this was a while a go but I just watched it... I saw no reason to disbelieve what they were saying... They beat people, strangled them, ran them over, stabbed them... between 500,000 and 2 million people died, they had all sorts of ways to do it. Imagine a bunch of thugs with a free reign to do anything they like! It wasn't just murder, they raped too. Just did anything they fancied... Why is it possible for 1 group to be sick but not another?

This happened and was very real... I am shocked I never knew about this before last night.

Why are they not before a court???
edit on 25-4-2014 by Meee32 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join