It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama: Six-month deal with Iran starts Jan. 20

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2014 @ 12:04 PM
link   
It appears diplomacy may be working for once. Iran has agreed to lessen their uranium enrichment starting next week in exchange for the loosening of sanctions.

Hopefully this path will continue and Iran will continue to work with Western nations.

Israel is probably pissed.

www.usatoday.com...

President Obama is confirming that the clock starts ticking Jan. 20 on a six-month nuclear deal with Iran, which has agreed to temporarily limit uranium enrichment in exchange for a loosening of sanctions.

"We will now focus on the critical work of pursuing a comprehensive resolution that addresses our concerns over Iran's nuclear program," Obama said in a written statement Sunday.

Obama has vowed to prevent Iran from securing the means to make nuclear weapons; Iran says its nuclear program is strictly for peaceful energy uses.

posted on Jan, 12 2014 @ 12:25 PM
link   
I know a lot of congress is angry. they wanted to impose more sanctions just because...why not. (obvious why, but whatever).

I do hope this is a actual effort by all parties involved to move back to a civil discourse and eventually trade/exchange. That is far better, cheaper, and cooler than what the last 30+ years have been. Alternatively it could turn out to be a NK thing where every other month is some new saber rattling just for attention, but Iran I don't think plays like that.

posted on Jan, 12 2014 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Congress will be pissed..here's why !!
Just substitute Iran for Syria

posted on Jan, 12 2014 @ 12:49 PM
link   
I'd like to see the automakers in iran collaborating with other nations.

Iran is ahead of the field in elec. autos.

check it out

centifuges?

not quite yet

The dispute – and, perhaps more important, the delay it has caused – cast a shadow over the Nov. 24 announcement of the interim agreement, marked by on-stage embraces and declarations of a new era in relations between Iran and the West. Six weeks later, the vaunted document has not actually been signed. Which means its provisions freezing several elements of Iran’s nuclear program have not gone into effect — nor the countdown to a comprehensive pact, which could take either six months or a year, depending on how you read the document.

posted on Jan, 12 2014 @ 10:57 PM
link   
Reuters has some interesting additional information.

Iran will get half a billion dollars before it does anything at all, sort of a signing bonus. Then if they dilute half of their Uranium back down to 5% from 20%, they will receive a total of over two billion dollars. If they dilute it all, they get another two billion.

There is nothing in the article describing how we will know with certainty that Iran has actually done it, and there appears to be no reason why they can't start re-enriching their Uranium after they've received the four billion.

I'd appreciate some information explaining why this is a good deal.

www.reuters.com...

top topics

join