It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Study- We're not crazy!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2014 @ 02:19 AM
link   
Looks like it's official... conspiracy theorists are no longer the "insane" people they were once thought to be!

What a relief.

From the source-

Recent studies by psychologists and social scientists in the US and UK suggest that contrary to mainstream media stereotypes, those labeled “conspiracy theorists” appear to be saner than those who accept the official versions of contested events.

I've always felt that people who are willing to delve into the rabbit hole that is conspiracy theories would have to have a little more mental mettle than those who willingly turn a blind eye to, sometimes, obvious discrepancies in "official stories".

Additionally, it turned out that the anti-conspiracy people were not only hostile, but fanatically attached to their own conspiracy theories as well. According to them, their own theory of 9/11 - a conspiracy theory holding that 19 Arabs, none of whom could fly planes with any proficiency, pulled off the crime of the century under the direction of a guy on dialysis in a cave in Afghanistan - was indisputably true. The so-called conspiracists, on the other hand, did not pretend to have a theory that completely explained the events of 9/11: “For people who think 9/11 was a government conspiracy, the focus is not on promoting a specific rival theory, but in trying to debunk the official account.”

It's nice to see us getting some credit that is way past due. Sometimes I have a mental picture of OSers typing feverishly behind their keyboard frothing at the mouth, fumigating anger from every pore of their skin trying desperately to make everyone believe in what they're saying.

Anyway, you can check out the rest of the story here and rest easy knowing that you're not insane.

www.presstv.ir...
edit on 12-1-2014 by Ketzer22 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2014 @ 02:23 AM
link   
Isn't Press tv a garbage site?

posted on Jan, 12 2014 @ 02:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Ketzer22

LOL I am not saying I dislike the "direction" of this site's content but it's obviously biased bull#.

They should at least pretend to be professional writers that maintain an air of neutrality.

The excerpts reek of infantile sarcasm lacking even basic manners.

That's all I have to say about that.

posted on Jan, 12 2014 @ 02:29 AM
link   
*New Study - That is a lie!

posted on Jan, 12 2014 @ 02:31 AM
link   

I'm pretty sure this has been posted before, since it came from a book published in April 2013.

But how much weight should we put into this? A conspiracy theorist saying that conspiracy theorists aren't crazy.

This is just preaching to the converted, it's confirmation bias.

posted on Jan, 12 2014 @ 05:36 AM
link   

AlphaHawk

I'm pretty sure this has been posted before, since it came from a book published in April 2013.

But how much weight should we put into this? A conspiracy theorist saying that conspiracy theorists aren't crazy.

This is just preaching to the converted, it's confirmation bias.

It was a study done by FOUR seperate university's, not done by strange weird people, it was done by well qualified and respected people. All four studies revealed the same findings, mainly, conspiracy types were willing to listen to ALL evidence, but those who follow the official story would not accept anything else, and were far more likely to become angry when confronted with something that contradicted the official story.

OP's source does dont make this study irrelevant!

posted on Jan, 12 2014 @ 05:42 AM
link   
This guy, this guy right here.

Definition: Sanity

posted on Jan, 12 2014 @ 05:44 AM
link   
What is "insane" and "sane" really anyway? That's a subject that can be delved into deeply.

There's a thin line between madness and genius...

And I feel that sometimes you have to clash with your environment to be good at thinking creatively, deeply and outside the box, to question reality and truth. Conformists are usually not very good at those things. And also, being an introvert is not always a bad thing.

posted on Jan, 12 2014 @ 05:53 AM
link   
reply to post by VoidHawk

Hmm I though it was from a single book called Conspiracy Theory in America written by a guy named Lance deHaven-Smith.

Still, for every MSM loving twit that believes everything they get told, there is a conspiracy loving twit that believes everything their told, just from different sources.

I think questioning EVERYTHING is good practice, and I don't think many, at both extremes do.
edit on 12-1-2014 by AlphaHawk because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2014 @ 06:08 AM
link   

AlphaHawk

Hmm I though it was from a single book called Conspiracy Theory in America written by a guy named Lance deHaven-Smith.

This is where I first saw it. It used to have links to the original research, I dont have time to check it out at the moment. Follow the link below.

Recent studies by psychologists and social scientists in the US and UK suggest that contrary to mainstream media stereotypes, those labeled “conspiracy theorists” appear to be saner than those who accept the official versions of contested events.

The most recent study was published on July 8th by psychologists Michael J. Wood and Karen M. Douglas of the University of Kent (UK). Entitled “What about Building 7? A social psychological study of online discussion of 9/11 conspiracy theories,” the study compared “conspiracist” (pro-conspiracy theory) and “conventionalist” (anti-conspiracy) comments at news websites.

Theres more HERE

posted on Jan, 12 2014 @ 06:10 AM
link   
?
edit on 12-1-2014 by VoidHawk because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2014 @ 06:20 AM
link   
AWOOGA AWOOGA AWOOGA

EMERGENCY!!!

Some content has been posted that isnt what our masters want people to know. We must trash it immediately!
edit on 12-1-2014 by VoidHawk because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2014 @ 03:30 PM
link   
I think the very nature of a conspiracy theorist is to "question" everything. I know when I began my journey into this "alternative" side of reality it was out of a genuine curiosity and asking "well is that really like that or is there another explanation?" and so far, in my research, the other explanation has normally satisfied my thirst for logical explanations for things. Sure, there are some far out there theories like holographic planes that I don't buy into and all of the threads that crop up claiming evidence of life from the Mars rover are rubbish too. (It's my opinion that people post those kinds of threads simply to get stars and flags).

So I would say that conspiracy theorists do question everything. That is why there isn't ONE single explanation for 9/11, because everyone who is interested in that stuff has done their own research and come to several different conclusions. To me, that is human nature and I don't think there is one single universal truth out there. Everyone perceives everything differently and that is why you have an abundance of separate conspiracy theories surrounding something like 9/11. But if you compare that to the people who believe in the OS they ALL believe in one single "truth" and that is that 19 men from Al-Queda hi-jacked four separate flights on 9/11 and carried out the largest terror attack in U.S. history.

posted on Jan, 12 2014 @ 05:53 PM
link   

So did this study tell you anything about yourself you didn't already know?

Or did it just confirm what you already knew?

posted on Jan, 12 2014 @ 07:24 PM
link   
I don't put much stock in anything that comes out of Press TV. That said, study or no study, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to realize that everyone is a variant of mental to some degree or another. The fact that that's such a constant is probably a bigger indicator of normality than we realize. If we were all alike & completely vanilla, the world would be a dull, dull place

I think the major difference between conspiracy theorists and others is that we tend to be much more analytical. Like any social group, though, we've got people who tend to be a whole lot more, shall we say, "devoted" to subjects. It happens, there's always a deviation from the standardized "norm" somewhere. 7 billion people on Earth, and we expect everyone to think or act the same? I'd say a desire to exist in total conformity & not rock the boat ever is probably a more acute sign of mental issues than anything

edit on 1/12/2014 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2014 @ 08:50 PM
link   
I spent an evening on the Godlike Production board, and it's pretty clear that most conspiracy theorists are not completely crazy, but they are usually drunk. At least while on web forums.

posted on Jan, 13 2014 @ 08:56 PM
link   

Ketzer22
Looks like it's official... conspiracy theorists are no longer the "insane" people they were once thought to be!

What a relief.

What is "official"? Do you need some group to deem you such? What is "sane"? Again, why the need for the love of an outside opinion; a group in which many have already cast into the abyss of intellectualism.

I don't need some group to determine my mental health.
edit on 13-1-2014 by ownbestenemy because: (no reason given)

top topics

join