It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Toddlers and colds/viruses

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 01:38 PM
link   
I'm sorry if this is TMI but just how much mucus can one small 3yr old produce?! The rate he's going I'm surprised he isn't severely dehydrated by now! Any tips on how to decongest him? If it's safe for a pregnant woman to use even better. Was there something about half an onion in the room over night? Or am I THAT ill right now! Lol. Looking for more natural remedies really. Thanks in advance to anyone with suggestions

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 01:46 PM
link   
reply to post by christmaspig

Babies noses can run like a faucet at times and it's usually fine as long as he/she is hydrated. Here though is a website I found on when to start worrying and some tips:

pregnant.thebump.com...

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Dear Christmaspig - LOL, ha, ha - I know all too well that of which you speak! You can get an air diffuser and put in essential oil of eucalyptus - or even plain old Vicks. But essential oils are not only natural killers of germs/viruses/bacteria but they open up the airways.

Keep a bottle/sippy cup (whatever you use) out in plain sight so that your little one is able to drink at will. And encourage him/her to drink constantly. Keep a kleenex at hand and encourage to keep blowing in order to empty out the sinus cavities.

Have lots of humid baths/showers to encourage more nasal drainage.

Feed chicken soup, or any kind of soup, this encourages sinus drainage.

And that's about it. My child was a five year... note I'm saying a five year run, and not that she was five years old... continuous slimeball. Seemed to catch everything and anything. And then one day it just all ended. I was so worried about her immunity.

You can also lift up the top end of the bed, put a book(s) or brick under and this will allow your child to breathe better at night.

Good luck!

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 01:56 PM
link   
reply to post by OrphanApology

My wife does a nasal wash technique where she has a spouty type thing she runs water through, its stuck up one nose and the water runs out the other. I hate it but it certainly clears the little ones nose. He doesn't mind and does it himself now. He had some problem with anoids?, tonsils, continuous colds etc. Anoids? removed have helped a LOT.

A warm bath if he isn't too sickly.

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 01:59 PM
link   
reply to post by guidetube

Yeah the saline rinse works pretty well(I am assuming your wife is probably using salt water). That actually works for anyone of any age.

It's gross but not as gross as the little ones nose running like a gooey faucet.

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 02:14 PM
link   
I hear you. I'm very glad that our daughter is now college age. Those toddler years ... and even the grade school years ... wow. Little kids are germ factories. And the whole family catches whatever germs they bring in the house. ugh ... Good thing God made little kids so cute because the germs are really tiresome.

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 02:16 PM
link   
Thanks everyone! Although he runs away if I approach his nose with a tissue let alone anything else! Quite happy rubbing his nose on me though the little sod.
Think tomorrow it'll be steamy bath time and an attempt to get chicken soup down him. He only wants marmite toast atm. Yuk

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 02:19 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

So very true! He recently started pre-school. I blame this. He was healthy as a button before and now we've all been ill for 2 wks. I'm 6months pregnant and do not have the time for this

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Zero dairy for two weeks and potassium supplements for three days on a full stomach…done. Eat mucous, get mucous.

new topics

top topics

join