It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists Discover 180 Species of Glowing Fish

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 12:56 PM
link   
Scientists Discover 180 Species of Glowing Fish

The scientists discovered the secret while taking pictures of fluorescent coral off of Little Cayman Island for a bioluminescence exhibition at the museum. A glowing green eel made an appearance at the photo shoot. When the team went looking for more on a subsequent expedition to the Bahamas and Solomon Islands, they were not disappointed. Sharks, rays, eels, lizardfish and other species were all glowing.

The team reported 180 species with the capability in the journal PLOS ONE on Jan. 8. Because many of these species also have yellow filters in their eyes that could allow them to see biofluorescence, the scientists suspect the animals are using the glow to stand out and communicate to each other, while remaining hidden from predators.

Pretty fish , too bad they are doom because of Fukushima and other human activities in general.

Another source

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 01:20 PM
link   
Beautiful! Makes me wonder about other creatures we have yet to discover.

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 01:23 PM
link   
reply to post by ValentinoG

just a clarification, they are not new species just recently found to have fluorescence

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Fukushima anyone?.......Not really,beautiful though!

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 05:54 PM
link   

I think i just found another one.
so are these fish glowing because of fukushima or despite it?
that's so odd though. That so many unrelated species (ok kinda related)
Can develop bioluminecence. Or maybe its such a good way to find mates in the dark that it was a trait bound to be bred into their species
edit on 11-1-2014 by dashen because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2014 @ 07:41 AM
link   
reply to post by dashen

nothing related to fukushima, its just camo in the coral reef

posted on Jan, 12 2014 @ 07:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Indigent

Remember hearing about that strange luminessence off the coast of South America, just north of Antarctica? It was supposed to illuminate a huge chunk of ocean and captured by satellite pics. Think its a similar similar phenomenon, with the marine life and such? Like they are moving north? Or is it just the illuminati up to their old tricks... LOL

posted on Jan, 12 2014 @ 08:04 AM
link   
reply to post by dfens

I think that was a shrimps fishing fleet, this guys dont illuminate in vis spectra

top topics

join