It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Small Farmers Blamed for Coming Flu Pandemic

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 12:01 PM
link   
Global corporations are after China's trillion-dollar poultry market so they're painting bullseyes on wet markets, small farmers and grassroots agriculture. Even CIDRAP is taking shots at the little guys. Fact is though, factory farming creates diseases - like the H1N1 swine flu that mutated and evolved in US hog operations before going pandemic in 2009 and then again this year. But global corporations rely on mass food production for maximum profits, and that takes factory farms - so nobody talks much about their role in creating disease. They go after defenceless little guys instead and well hey, just incidentally, the Chinese poultry market is worth trillions.

CIDRAP: Of the seven recent H7N9 cases confirmed by the WHO, four had contact with live poultry or a market setting.

5 modern diseases grown by factory farming

Industrial agriculture is making us sick. The Centers for Disease Control (CDC), World Health Organization (WHO), nutritional scientists, and medical professionals warn against the health risks of concentrated animal feeding operations (CAFOs). There is a near consensus among experts that overuse of antibiotics, crowded and unsanitary livestock conditions, unnatural feed diets, and a lack of diversification are responsible for some serious global health risks.

Contracting bugs from animals is nothing new. In fact, zoonoses (infectious diseases transferred between species) are a natural part of evolutionary biology. But modern industrial farming practices can turn health issues that were once fairly benign into real concerns.

Factory farming creates perfect conditions for the proliferation of super bugs: The stress and unsanitary conditions of CAFOs weaken animals' immune systems, making them more susceptible to infection; overcrowding allows disease to spread quickly and easily; and over time, antibiotics can cause resistant strains of bacteria to evolve. These conditions, combined with a lack of diversification, create a petri dish for dangerous diseases.

The Hidden Health Hazards of Factory Farms

Factory farms are breeding grounds for virulent disease, which can then spread to the wider community via many routes — not just in food, but also in water, the air, and the bodies of farmers, farm workers, and their families. Once those microbes become widespread in the environment, it’s very difficult to get rid of them.

Inside the factory farms

edit on 11/1/14 by soficrow because: format

edit on 11/1/14 by soficrow because: format

edit on 11/1/14 by soficrow because: (no reason given)

edit on 11/1/14 by soficrow because: bad morn?!

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 01:18 PM
link   
Think about it. People NEED food, shelter and clothing. Everything else is treats. The war is on to tie up the essentials market, and the food industry is playing hardball.

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 01:29 PM
link   
It's like anything. Where you have high concentrations of population of anything for any reason, you have better conditions for the propogation and spread of disease. That's why urban areas, hospitals will be the worst places to be in any outbreak - concentrated humans all sharing close space, some infected.

Why would anyone think that closely packed farms would be any different? And I'm not talking about the average stocker-feeder as much as the feedlot or the poultry barn. Although poor peasant villages don't exactly rank high in sanitation which is another thing that helps disease spread and there is much closer animal to human contact there. Both things have there downsides, but I don't think you can point the finger at one and leave out the other, that's insane.

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 02:32 PM
link   
reply to post by ketsuko

I don't think you can point the finger at one and leave out the other, that's insane.

I agree. But it's happening. And as per usual, it's all about the money.

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 02:57 PM
link   
reply to post by soficrow

This is a Globalist Elite power grab. Codex Alimentarious is a WTO sponsored global food guideline for the production of food world wide . This UN document gives them complete control over food and seed production and control . The UN document "Agenda 21" gives the Elite complete control over Water and property where there will be no private property . The USW has signed on to all of the UN programs mainly because Rockefeller fronts for the UN and we are the majority support for it . Privatization has taken over Water resources , Food production , Banking and is currently working in your area to privatize Fire / Rescue and Police . Contemplate what that will bring ! Protection money will take on a new meaning as the Providers of those services become the new thugs and extortionist that we define as terrorist today .
Fun times ahead !

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 05:46 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 12 2014 @ 11:59 AM
link   
I am SO PO'd - not surprised, but emphatically PO'd - China discovered H7N9 spreads person-to-person, so they decided to shut down live poultry markets and push for factory farms to control the spread. Wha?!

Gao said that closing live poultry markets, adopting more intensive livestock farming practices and using the mass slaughter of live poultry are good measures to control the spread of the H7N9 epidemic.

The Shanghai City government has announced it will shut down live poultry markets from the Lunar New Year holiday (Jan. 31) until April 30. (Cheng Chung-sheng and Y.L. Kao)

posted on Jan, 12 2014 @ 02:02 PM
link   
It's not about money, it's about control. I guess they're almost the same thing. It's probably more accurate to say it's fear. Planet is getting smaller. It's live or die. Make decision quick. Live: even if it means taking from others or judging them less than worthy to make their own decision. The people in power tend to make the big decisions, so the weaker people feel stepped on. I'm not sure how it happens, but we all tend to blend our differences and become homogenous too. Maybe it has to do with how we sacrifice individual freedom for security.

You can't look at the situation as hopeless or like there's no purpose, no reason to live. I should say take the flame and hold it high and run and fight until you can no longer. If no one tried to change a bad situation then where would we be? Not all battles can be won and not all wars can be won either. But because people believe then some battles and wars can be won, despite how unlikely it was.

I believe the desire in us for freedom will always survive, even if we implant chips into our brains and engineer our bodies and exist in collectives. Even if every last freedom is taken from us, we will still desire freedom.
edit on 12-1-2014 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2014 @ 02:14 PM
link   
reply to post by jonnywhite

Thanks jonnywhite. Good thoughts. ...I just hate to see the corporations winning. Dratdarnpooppeepoop. Here's some political info - but hard to sort the implications, forces in play.

Disease expert and minister lock horns over poultry ban

Hong Kong should immediately stop imports of live poultry from the mainland until a more reliable test for H7N9 bird flu is available, infectious diseases expert Yuen Kwok-yung says. Yuen's call came a few hours after Secretary for Food and Health Ko Wing-man continued to reject calls for the suspension of poultry imports, despite more human cases of H7N9 in Guangdong.

...Ko said poultry farms supplying Hong Kong are isolated from wholesale and retail markets in the mainland and therefore it is unnecessary to suspend imports.

"Previously I already pointed out that banning live poultry from farms in Shenzhen is already an advanced step as a measure for risk management, because we couldn't trace the source of the first and second patients who contracted H7N9 returning from Shenzhen," Ko said.

"This is a controversial action, in fact. I hope in the future we don't need to take this kind of approach, but use serum tests. I hope I can inform the public of this as soon as possible."

new topics

top topics

join