It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Learned: A Lesson in Gratitude

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 09:35 PM
link   
So this will be simple and short.

Recently I learned a lesson in gratitude. I ride a bike to work and to the gym. The gym is about 10 miles from my mouse and 12 miles from work, work is 2 miles from my house. Its an hour trip. I have been riding the bike for awhile and i have recently started complaining about how i need a better bike. Well i went to Target and the bike got stolen outside of Target and I had to get a new one.

Riding home from the gym i realized that the problem wasn't that the bike got stolen the problem was that i didn't value the bike enough to lock it up. If i had placed more value in this bike i would still have it.

Appreciate the things you have. The world around you won't change until you learn to appreciate the one you have.

Anyway.

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 09:47 PM
link   
An expensive lesson and one we shouldn't have to learn.... but sometimes can't escape from it.

In my younger days I lost a few bikes the same way. People shouldn't have to worry about others taking what doesn't belong to them, and what they didn't earn but we do. And since we know we do, then fail to do so we learn lessons like yours.

I hate it happened to you. It sucks to be the victim of something like that because it does remove some trust no matter how much or how little was there in the first place.

I am however glad that you were able to replace your old bike, with a shiny new one and I hope it came with a lock.

Good advice on appreciating the things WE DO have as well. If we all did that.... you wouldn't ever have to worry about anybody stealing your bike again.

edit on 1/10/2014 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 09:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Kangaruex4Ewe

I feel like it was the universe telling me to just be happy with what i have. Like i said, in a way i wasnt a victim because i tried to get away without having it locked up. My fault completely. It was because i placed no value in it.

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 09:59 PM
link   

onequestion

I feel like it was the universe telling me to just be happy with what i have. Like i said, in a way i wasnt a victim because i tried to get away without having it locked up. My fault completely. It was because i placed no value in it.

I know. Most of us have to learn that the hard way at one point or another. Sometimes we escape the lesson a lot longer than most and other times some folks just refuse to learn the lesson at all.

You choosing not to be a victim is a good thing I think.

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 10:04 PM
link   

Its a thing im working on extending into all facets of my life.

Im sick of victim culture. So im working on it myself.
edit on 10-1-2014 by onequestion because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 04:41 AM
link   

onequestion
I have been riding the bike for awhile and i have recently started complaining about how i need a better bike. Well i went to Target and the bike got stolen outside of Target and I had to get a new one.

The universe heard you wanted a new bike so provided you with one.
Ask and it is given.
When would you have decided to get a new bike if your bike had not been stolen?

You were complaining about the 'old bike' -have you got a new one and is the new one better?

Appreciate the things you have. The world around you won't change until you learn to appreciate the one you have.
The bike has changed even though you did not appreciate it.
Things (like bikes) change all the time - no finite thing can stay forever.
edit on 11-1-2014 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 10:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Itisnowagain

I see what your saying but for some reason i got what i post in the OP out of it, almost immediately.

But yeah i ended up getting a better bike but at a cost.

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 10:44 AM
link   
I learned this lesson as a ten year old. My Huffy BMX styled bike was stolen outside of my yard because it was supper time and I jumped off the bike and ran straight into the house. Not thinking twice, I left it there. Morning came and it was gone.

I went months without a bike. Every kid on my street had a bike and were always riding from one spot to another doing fun things. Eventually I gave up trying to keep up on foot. I'll tell you what though, my eleventh birthday was the best one I have probably ever had. I got a shiny new bike and I took care of that sucker! Once again I could ride with my buddy on bikes, roaming suburbia. Miss those times.

Thanks for the thread, you made me remember to keep my promise to my ten year old self that I would take better care of what I have.

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 11:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Auricom

Its crazy the amount of nonsense that brings someone to the point of having to learn this what seems simplistic lesson in life again as an adult.

Honestly, its been a really tough road the past few years and small lessons like this for whatever reason seem to at the very least shine a light on what seems trivial.

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 11:55 AM
link   

onequestion
Honestly, its been a really tough road the past few years and small lessons like this for whatever reason seem to at the very least shine a light on what seems trivial.

You and I both. Sometimes we're so busy (as I was as a kid) that we forget the little things and just how important they are. That's when life kicks you in the rear end to remind you leaving you high and dry. At least we won't make the same mistakes again! (Hopefully!)

posted on Jan, 15 2014 @ 08:18 AM
link   
reply to post by onequestion

Being Appreciative lessens the greed.

Feeling Safe lessens the need to control.

new topics

top topics

join