It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Was Atlantis Destroyed by an Asteroid?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 20 2004 @ 05:14 PM
link   
Found a scientific article called 'Going Into the Water' on Cambridge Conference Correspondence, the asteroid impact hypothesis newsletter. It offers tantalizing details on Early American coastal civilizations, shipbuilding, and multicultural migration in the age of the Mammoths. The author talks about impact-generated megatsunami that inundated and destroyed the coastal peoples of the Americas.

Compare this with the thread on the 50,000 BCE American hunter-gatherers at ATSNN and Plato's legend of Altantis, the 'Timaeus' that is available online free courtesy of MIT.

It's starting to sound like Plato is going to be proven correct!

[edit on 20-11-2004 by Chakotay]

posted on Nov, 20 2004 @ 10:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chakotay
Found a scientific article called 'Going Into the Water' on Cambridge Conference Correspondence, the asteroid impact hypothesis newsletter. It offers tantalizing details on Early American coastal civilizations, shipbuilding, and multicultural migration in the age of the Mammoths. The author talks about impact-generated megatsunami that inundated and destroyed the coastal peoples of the Americas.

Excellent article, and thanks! The author was fairly merciful and didn't go on endlessly in true archaeological form (I've got some articles by famous archaeologists that would just cross your eyes.)

...but the rest doesn't match. And there's no indication of a trade route between the Americas and Europe and certainly nothing that links any stories or legends to either. You *could* argue the Clovis technology is an import from Europe (and there's a couple of archaeolgists who advance this theory) but there's nothing that indicates any other connection.

I'll go pick on somebody else now, okay?

[edit on 20-11-2004 by Byrd]

posted on Nov, 20 2004 @ 11:58 PM
link   
Please, keep picking on me Byrd! I enjoy your comments- you cause us to think and elaborate and support and even dream. Sandpaper should have sand! I think of you as the flintknapper chipping away and me as an obsidian blank.

Ahh, the Clovis points. Such beauty in a tool. I refuse to think of them as weapon of war. The feeling one gets when flaking one of these is indescribable. That base flake just goes 'blink'! Makes your teeth itch. One experiment is worth a thousand hypotheses. We think of this as a primitive technology- until we try to make one! Such mastery of material and form. Artistry. Such presumption in the face of the Infinite.

[edit on 21-11-2004 by Chakotay]

join