It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

11 Extreme Weather Records

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 01:13 PM
link   
Came across this article on CNN and I found the records to be pretty incredible, so I felt that I'd share them with the rest of the ATS community since we've discussed a lot of "extreme" weather recently..

Lowest temperature

According to WMO, the lowest temperature noted was -89.2 C, recorded on July 21, 1983, in Vostok, Antarctica. Yes, Celsius, not Fahrenheit. In the latter, that's minus 128.5 degrees.
An absence of solar radiation, clear skies, little vertical mixing, calm air for a long duration and high elevation (3,420 meters, 11,220 feet) accounted for the frigid weather.

Highest temperature

With an average high of 46.7 C (116 F) in July, summer in Death Valley, California, can be baking.
But it was the summer of 1913 that entered the record books, acknowledged officially as the hottest temperature ever recorded at 56.7 C (134 F) in recent years, according to WMO.

Anyways, I found some of these to be quite interesting, especially the one where over an inch of rain fall came down in under 1 minute... That is nutz....

Source

IMPORTANT: Using Content From Other Websites on ATS
MOD NOTE: Posting work written by others
edit on Fri Jan 10 2014 by DontTreadOnMe because: shortened external quote, added tags

join