It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

State of emergency in West Virgina - Chemical spill (affecting 9 counties).

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 02:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Shuftystick

Ha.. I hadn't read that quote, but I have heard some ignorant things regarding this spill.

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 02:36 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

That is a long time. If you are unfamiliar with W.V. the national guard will not be solving this problem with bottled water. There are people waay out of touch in the mountains and valleys. Also considering that they now include cabell county the affected population will probably hit half a million.

So inconvenience to those for five days witout shower and clean clothes, real problem for those that live in less populated areas.

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 02:41 PM
link   

GogoVicMorrow
reply to post by boncho

That is a long time. If you are unfamiliar with W.V. the national guard will not be solving this problem with bottled water. There are people waay out of touch in the mountains and valleys. Also considering that they now include cabell county the affected population will probably hit half a million.

So inconvenience to those for five days witout shower and clean clothes, real problem for those that live in less populated areas.

I hope your friends are ok GoGo. This company is going to have lawsuits coming out their ass. Well deserved, I am against frivolous bull crap lawsuits, but this is not one of them.. I also hope your friends and people affected own a piece of this company (provided God forbid they don't die or have liver failure) .

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 02:45 PM
link   
reply to post by gardener

Mothman.

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 02:45 PM
link   
reply to post by starfoxxx

Appreciate it. I don't think anyone I know drank more than a taste or a few drinks before realizing there was a problem (except the girl that made coffee with it.. hopefully she didn't drink a pot or anything). Most of us are younger and live in the cities so we are hearing about this quickly (well as quick as the responsibly parties are allowing the word to get out), but there are people that are older or poorer that live out in the country that may not know still and could be using this water business as usual.

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 02:57 PM
link   

GogoVicMorrow
reply to post by starfoxxx

Appreciate it. I don't think anyone I know drank more than a taste or a few drinks before realizing there was a problem (except the girl that made coffee with it.. hopefully she didn't drink a pot or anything). Most of us are younger and live in the cities so we are hearing about this quickly (well as quick as the responsibly parties are allowing the word to get out), but there are people that are older or poorer that live out in the country that may not know still and could be using this water business as usual.

Some people may not even be worried about it, the news is reporting it is NOT DEADLY.
Min. 20 in the video

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 04:23 PM
link   
reply to post by GogoVicMorrow

Yes, it's the 08:22 post, just click LINK,,read through the article, it's there, the last para of the WSAZ Ch 3 report.

Kinda saps my confidence in what he would do or say with something more catastrophic, probably explain away an asteroid strike as an act of God or a huge mega quake as a frackin accident.

How do these people end up in a position of responsibility?

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 04:41 PM
link   

Yeah.. my dad works in water and he was shocked to hear that quote. He said if someone had said that in his dept that person would be a laughing stock. Also he said it was a common adage way back in the day before the clean water act. He said he heard it alot in the 70's, etc.

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 04:42 PM
link   
A comment from someone from the area made on facebook:

"Charleston is stinking to high heavens right now. Came out of work tonight to go home and the air was so thick with stench you could almost cut it. I had to cover my nose and mouth. When I got home here in BFE got out of the car the smell was wonderful. I guess the wind is blowing towards the south.. We are in Kanawha county, so are under the DO NOT USE but we also have a working well that we can tap into, so shouldn't be a problem for us."

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 04:46 PM
link   
Actually there is no time table set. Now they are saying they have no idea how long it could last. They have no idea how long it as been leaking and no idea how well they will be able to flush their system.

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 04:49 PM
link   
They have no idea how long it will take to fix or how long the leak was actually going. It wasn't something that someone saw happen. People started to notice the smell so people could have been drinking this for weeks.

6 most terrifying facts about the W.V. chemical leak.

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 07:10 AM
link   
- UPDATE -

There have been 10 hospitalizations and hundreds (up to 700) falling ill with nausea and vomiting.
It is now being called a federal disaster and Obama is sending more guards/aid.

link

This is a mess. They dont know how it leaked or how long. The people in charge have showed great incompetence. The warnings didnt go out as the should leading many people that were originally officially in safe areas to drink contaminated water.

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 08:28 AM
link   
It's horrible this happened. The company will likely get a slap on the wrist, a pitiful fine, and the only people who will be better off for all of it is the lawyers and the people getting bribed.

If we as a country spent more time enforcing laws that protect against this kind of thing and less time worrying about forcing our beliefs on other countries and each other, this would have never happened.

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 11:05 AM
link   
It smells like black licorice. I'm stunned by how the local media and plant owner makes it seem like it's no big deal. They said: "Don't wash your clothes in it, don't wash your dishes in it...and oh yeah!! Don't drink or bathe in it!"

Drinking it was near last on their concerned list.

But this is nothing new. We've had many disasters hear. Many. Some get swept under the rug and other just get played down. I'm all for coal; Without it, a lot of people on the east coast wouldn't have power. That being said, these mine owners do not care about us. They never did. Remember when they made us slaves and paid us with script that could only be spent in their stores? This led to the Battle Of Blair Mountain. If you wanna see how the mine owners control the US government, read about it.

Luckily, I live in Nicholas County(higher elevation) not far from Summersville Lake, so there's no danger here(I don't think), but my heart goes out to everybody in the disaster zone. No telling what long term effects will be on the people who drank it and who got it on their skin, or how long it will take to clean up and what the effects are going to be on the environment. This is worst-case scenario. Too much 'politician talk' going on. They should tell it the way it is.

These people can't live their lives right now and that sucks to be interrupted like that.
edit on 11-1-2014 by Fylgje because: add something

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 11:09 AM
link   

gardener
s&F

whose fault is it?

How much is this costing the tax payers as well?
The company will just pass any fines and lawsuits they receive in the form of increased prices.
The poor leadership of this company is to blame and there need to be personal consequences against them instead of just paying it off.

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 12:24 PM
link   
reply to post by GogoVicMorrow

i think this is msds
mediad.publicbroadcasting.net...

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 02:56 PM
link   
I find this kind of weird happening with the Fukushima radiation on the other side of the coast. Somebody I know talked to a soldier in the National Gaurd up at Fort Riley who is doing a 'week long drill'. Coincidentally the flu outbreak is getting out of hand here. Maybe I'm just grasping at straws but, it seems like a lot of things are all happening at once enough to connect dots. The four low flying blackhawks that past my house last night has made things eerie as well(can't make a thread about it yet, but oh well). Massive radiation, virus outbreak, contaminated resources, economic collapse, and civil unrest sounds like enough to attempt martial law in the whole country to me.

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 05:08 PM
link   

donlashway

MSDS

Are you sure that MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheet) is for the correct chemical? Just in a quick look through the thread and at related news stories, I found links to MSDS or data on 3 different chemicals with similar sounding names but different chemical formulas and different CAS Registry Numbers, which means they are all different chemicals.

It's hard to be sure which is correct, but the OP said 4-Methylcyclohexane Methanol and CNN and Wikipedia both say the chemical that was spilled is this one:

4-Methyl-1-cyclohexanemethanol
Chemical formula: C8H16O
CAS Registration Number: CAS number 34885-03-5

If that is correct, then this is the link to the MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheet): MSDS sheet on CNN

I rarely read MSDS data (usually only when I'm wondering about the safety of something I'm exposed to). But it seems strange that instead of providing lots of important and useful information like you would expect in an MSDS for an industrial chemical, almost all of the standard information fields on the sheet are listed as unavailable.

It starts off right at the top by saying "The health risks of this compound have not been fully determined."

And most of the standard data fields on the form are all listed as not available:

Toxicology data
Acute health effects
Chronic health effects (except it "is not known to aggravate existing medical conditions")
Flammability (here it just states that "it may be combustible at high temperature")
Auto-ignition
Flash points
Flammable limits
Explosion hazards
Exposure limits
Boiling point
Melting point
Refractive index
Critical temperature
Viscosity
Solubility
Partition coefficient
Vapor pressure
Vapor density
Volatility
Odor
Taste
Ecotoxicity
Environmental fate

Despite those last two environmental unknowns, the sheet states that it is on the EPA Toxic Substances Control Act (TSCA) inventory list.

How can they sell or use a chemical about which so little is known!? This is likely why people are saying they don't know if it is dangerous.

Best wishes to everyone affected.

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 05:21 PM
link   
reply to post by tinyDAWK

Didn't see your post till after I posted mine, we must have both started working on them around the same time.

That's the same CAS registry number as the MSDS I found though, just a different manufacurer and apparently for a less refined version of the chemical since some other components were listed. At least Eastman has a clue about some of the properties the other manufacturer listed as unavailable by the other manufacturer!

Good find.

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 05:27 PM
link   
Mainstream media is saying if you feel sick seek medical attention. RT and other alt news sites are reporting hundreds are sick and I read one legitimate site saying 10 had been hospitalized.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join