It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Phobias!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 08:51 AM
link   
Just wondering what everyone Phobias are?

Mine ?

Centipeds
So pretty normal

And
Brace yourselfs.............

Velvet

Yes thats right I cant not stand to be near, look at or touch velvet without feeling violenty sick and freaking out.....
edit on 8-1-2014 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 09:03 AM
link   
reply to post by crazyewok

Gerontophobia. I don't fear old people, I fear growing old.

Anyone share this fear? How do you get over it?

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 09:05 AM
link   
I genuinely deal with Triskaidekaphobia.

Triskaidekaphobia

Yepp, good old fear of the number 13. Only, for me, it is truly only Friday the 13th's that upset me.

My father died when I was twelve, twelve days after his birthday on Friday the 13th.

Three out of four of my grandparents all died on the 13th, of one month or another, but not necessarily on a Friday. I just think this is something of a double whammy to the whole schlameal.

For years, I wouldn't even get out of bed on a Friday the 13th. Today, 32 years later, I merely cringe when I realize a Friday the 13th is coming up soon.

99% of the time, when that Friday comes and passes, I was unaware of it during that day as it happened. Only prior to it. And no, I do not remember anything particularly bad ever happening to me on one of these days, other than when I was 12 and my father died.

Completely irrational, but it's mine, I own it, so back off

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 09:14 AM
link   
reply to post by crazyewok

I don't have any myself but wanted to share my gf's. She is terrified of cottonballs. Something about how it feels she says I have no clue. But I am kind enough to occasionally slip some in her socks and her pockets to find while she is getting dressed.

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 09:18 AM
link   
Mirrors used as decorations.
I can handle a typical bathroom mirror over a sink.
But mirrors hanging for no reason other than decoration in houses or workplaces are freak'n creepy.
It's like an invitation for spooks or a portal or something ....

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 09:35 AM
link   
#in agoraphobia!!!!!!!

diagnosed with a stroke and possible temporal lobe epilepsy this year and out of nowhere agoraphobia!!
6'1 built like a brick #house trained twice a day, now i cant leave the house 6'1 bag of nerves

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 09:41 AM
link   

truthseeker10
#in agoraphobia!!!!!!!

diagnosed with a stroke and possible temporal lobe epilepsy this year and out of nowhere agoraphobia!!
6'1 built like a brick #house trained twice a day, now i cant leave the house 6'1 bag of nerves

Ouch, that sounds debilitating....

About the only thing I can think of similar to that with me is that I hate crowds...moving crowds...such as, in a shopping mall...everyone zip-zagging left and right...no order...I'm a big guy myself, 6'3....and it's always the little morons who decide to just cross your path about two inches in front of your nose....makes me break out in a sweat....

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 10:47 AM
link   
Xanthophobia.

Last one one the list.
The fear of the color yellow.
It start in elementary school. Don't know why.
One day in 7th grade I was on a bus on my way to Sparks middle school. I was in the front seat to the right of the driver. When all of the sudden she yelled "Sh:t!" And start pumping the brakes. Another bus was at a stop light in front of us. We hit the other bus a 45 MPH. It lifted the back of our bus some 5 feet according to witnesses.

CAN YOU GUESS THE COLOR OF THE BUSSES?........YELLOW!

My friend and I were fine. But suddenly when ask if we wanted to take a new bus to school. Without hesitation we both grabbed the back of our neck..we got 3 days off school..3 great days of Nintendo! It was glorious.

Needless to say I took my bike or skateboard to school after that. The school was 6 miles away.

Side note. Another friend of ours. His parents were teaching EMT's and paramedics at the time. And still are 25 years later. His parents would bring us to those classes and teach how to play the victim with proper symptoms. Say the day of the wreck when the medics showed up. We new what we were doing.
and so did the medics that showed up that knew us
but they new their protocols....and so did we......unfortunately 1 one of those protocols was to call the teachers...at the college if any medic came across us kids...we laughed so hard when the medic told our buddies parents...." the boys are OK. But you're not going to believe what we taught them..and now the wish to exploit C7.."

We got in trouble after the 3 glorious Nintendo days. But it was worth it. 6 years later we too became medics. Taught by mom and pop at Truckee meadows community colleges Reno Nov. In turn becoming instructor's

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 10:47 AM
link   
Trypophobia! Google searching the word "trypophobia" and look at the images...if you dare! *cringe*

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 10:57 AM
link   
Im not scared of much. I even breed tarantulas and live in a supposed local notorious "haunted house". There is one thing though.. I can NOT stand it : anything tight around my wrists and ankles. I cant even wear a watch! Ive always been this way even as a child and have reacted pretty unreasonably if grabbed by my wrist or whatever.

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 11:01 AM
link   

Staroth
Trypophobia! Google searching the word "trypophobia" and look at the images...if you dare! *cringe*

you just had to say 'if you dare'.

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 11:03 AM
link   

Rikku

Staroth

you just had to say 'if you dare'.

I know.. I was compelled to google it too...

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 11:10 AM
link   
reply to post by zeroBelief

Very sorry for you. My best friend here, had 5 strokes. Can't get her out of the house. Even with Xanax. Very hard for her. Took her to the store one day.. and she freaked out from the overhead music. As well as the mother with 4 screaming and running kids...

Breaks my heart so deeply I well up in tears...

Her other fear is to keep having these strokes till she states.." stuck in her head " ...no longer able to say I hurt or I'm cold. I'm hungry. Are you leaving me alone?

Its so sad...I get how you feel through feeling her fears. ....what gets me more is she's 47. It all started at 45. She has small artery and vessel syndrome. The size of an 8 year old. She still has a 150 I.Q. but talks like a 4y/o. And Little balance. The 1rst stroke was one I've never seen before. Her left hemisphere suffered the stroke. And suffered weakness one her left side. Called an Ipsi-lateral stroke.

She's back to painting now..she still can't see an image in her mine. But paint the most amazing art on shoes for kids that are very sick and stuck in hospitals. Those kids get so excited for their new vans or converse shoes with super hero's or gaming character's. In fact one pair went to Bat kid in San Francisco..

So she found an outlet..

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 11:24 AM
link   
My phobia is spiders. When I was in my early teens I jumped off my bike and hit a moving car in the process. I ended up with 21 stitches above my upper lip and was sued for five hundred dollars of damage.

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 11:35 AM
link   
Syringes! I can watch the scariest, goriest flick without flinching, but if someone pulls out a hypodermic, I have to cover my eyes...

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Clausterphobia

elevators suck

that horrid device the doc uses to check your blood pressure

how it squeezes your bicep

and you can feel a pulse with each heartbeat!

enough to make me wanna flip out!!!!!!!!

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 12:30 PM
link   
Acrophobia! I can steel myself to do things way up high, and I like roller coasters mainly because I am harnessed tight and they don't linger. I can't stand flying though. I also can't stand watching anyone else, especially people I care about go near a high ledge. I actually panic when I see that. Oh, and stadiums ... I will pay extra to avoid having to walk out on the upper deck of a stadium.

I also have a mild fear of Wednesday. It's more of a superstition than anything crippling, but most of the bad things in my life have happened to me on Wednesday. I call it the Wednesday Curse.

And I have a real hatred of the sensation of hair blowing in my face. It's so bad that I will ride in an unairconditioned car in 100+ degree heat with all the windows rolled up rather than feel my hair blowing across my face ... and ride that way for significant amounts of time.

Most other things I can tolerate pretty well even when I don't love them, even spiders.

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 12:31 PM
link   
Afraid of all bugs especially big bugs, but I have an extreme, paralyzing fear of butterflies, and moths.

edit on 1/8/2014 by niobe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 01:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Advantage

Count me on the hands/wrists things but add in neck, too. All of those make me panicky so no tight socks around the ankles (usually go barefoot at home), watches, bracelets, chokers, turtlenecks and etc. My response is enough where I've warned past significant others against grabbing my wrists or messing with my neck. Just no. NO NO NO. As you know, I'm autistic so it kind of makes sense that I'm phobic about these very sensitive areas being touched.

I guess the wrist thing has a name and it's carpophobia. Who knew?

Agoraphobia, acrophobia, arachnophobia (varies), and now to reveal my absolute kryptonite...colourophobia.

Yes, that's right...I'm afraid of clowns and before anybody even thinks about teasing me, you're talking about typically grown men deliberately hiding their identity and choosing to hang about children. How is that not creepy? John Wayne Gacy was a clown!! Nuff said!

My fear of clowns emanates from when I was younger and scared of the dark. My grandfather painted a clown painting that looked remarkably like my grandmother and had this effect of actually feeling like it looked for you. He hung it right outside the entrance to the kitchen (my grandmother's domain--I think he was saying something). So imagine being a kid, nervously padding through your grandparents' house in the dark to get a glass of water and walking into the shadowy family room to be have your eyes relentlessly drawn to...IT. The disembodied head of a clown almost glowing out at you from the shadows. Looking at you. Watching you from the dark...

Just no. NO NO NO.

edit on 8/1/14 by WhiteAlice because: got carried away with gggggs

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 10:19 AM
link   

Staroth

I think these images would bother any person with a working set of eyes.

new topics

top topics

join