It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Question for U.S and Canadian members affected by the icy blast?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 02:31 PM
link   
How are you holding up? Do you have enough supplies? Anyone need any help?

I ask this from a quite mild U.K, it's roughly 45 Degrees F, and although we have experienced cold snaps here, nothing can compare to what you guys are going through.

Stay warm (as warm as you can), but most of all stay safe!!

Bloody global warming eh?

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 02:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Cobaltic1978

Service calls are stacking up.
This cold has a lot of people screwed up.
Where's my global warming?

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Hey! Im dave webb from timmins ontario! Its pretty cold but up here we're used to it. Not so bad today. For us its the windchill thats the worst. -24 C and with the wind its -43 C at some points. I know Toronto is going through some crazy weather right now. Worse than us, we just have the cold, they have rain, snow, and chance of flash freeze. My prayers go out to them hoping they dont lose power again.

Thanks for your concern and god bless.....Eh! haha

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 02:36 PM
link   

I'm fine. I think the high temp today was 24 F haha, but that's not so bad. I think with the wind it felt around 0 this morning. I'm still wearing shorts. Something about living in the mountains the last few years has really changed my perception on what cold is. For me this is a mild feeling winter so far.

edit on 1/7/2014 by Dustytoad because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 02:37 PM
link   

It's been pretty cold here in Minnesota (-24 yesterday with -45 wind chill,) but there is a warming trend and we'll be above freezing by the weekend, thanks for your thoughts.

Actually, this "Polar Vortex" thing is related to global warming -- as the Arctic region increases in temperature, there is more interaction between polar regions and the areas south of them because of the movement of the jet stream.

The Arctic is heating faster than the rest of the world, hurried along by the disappearance of polar sea ice. Bright white ice reflects energy back into space; dark blue water absorbs it. Arctic temperatures are about 2 degrees Celsius warmer there than they were in the mid-1960s. (The average temperature increase for the Earth’s atmosphere overall is about 0.7 degree C, since 1900.)

In other words, the temperature difference between the Arctic and North America is shrinking. That’s one factor causing wobbliness in the jet stream, the west-east current that circles the Northern Hemisphere, according to Jennifer Francis, research professor at Rutgers University. Normally, that river of air keeps low-pressure cold air contained above the Arctic and holds higher-pressure warm air above the temperate regions, where most people live. (Source)

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 02:39 PM
link   
It's so pretty

I'm internetting from a phone so I can't do pics.
Everything is white, and crisp. About -20 Celcius.

My neighbour plows our driveway when the snow piles up, so all is good.
I stock up groceries every two weeks, so if I'm stuck indoors its fine.

My husband drives semi for the gas plants, so where he drives, he keeps getting weather warnings. He'd feel better if everyone else got off the roads (lol).

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 02:41 PM
link   
Thanks for your concern. Michigan here. actually nice day today finally. sunny and 2 lol....low winds but they are cold.

not a big survivalist but got a shot gun a rifle and a four wheel drive, and a country boy can survive....

except I had to let my GF take my truck to work cuz the roads still crappy.

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 02:42 PM
link   
MI Here. Plenty of supplies, staying warm. -35 with the windchill today, so it really steals your breath when you have to go outside. My only concern was this morning. Car acted like it wasn't going to start and hubby wasn't home. Finally got it started though.

Glad it's going to warm up a bit though by this weekend. Can you imagine trying to housebreak a new puppy in this weather?

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 02:47 PM
link   
Thanks for the replies so far. We have received lots of images and reports from the U.S, not so much from Canada.

Every time the reports show, it sends me into shivers let alone having to actually experience it.

It sounds like you are well prepared for this type of weather though, which is good to hear.
edit on 7/1/14 by Cobaltic1978 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 02:49 PM
link   
reply to post by chiefsmom

Glad it's going to warm up a bit though by this weekend. Can you imagine trying to housebreak a new puppy in this weather?

Boots and jacket next to the door, ready on a moments notice.
I have a shihtzu - he's 5 now, but I don't let him outside by himself - there's birds big enough to fly away with him, plus coyotes.
When it's colder than -20, he gets too cold too fast, and has to come back inside before he has time to ponder where to poop!

At least he pees right away when he's out there.
As soon as he starts to lift his feet weird, I carry him back in the house

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Here in Edmonton, Alberta, the weather is nothing abnormal and I am getting used to a frigid blast followed by a warming trend, as its been this way all year. Typical Canadian weather with a lot of snow. I heard up further North, in Fort MacMurry, that the weather was terrible lastnight with the high winds, so I guess even some people who are used to it are feeling its vengeance right now.

It was minus 31 celcius on Sunday, minus 11 celcius yesterday and about minus 16 today (for the high temps). No wind though, so the chill factor is minimal.
edit on 7/1/2014 by TheSparrowSings because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 02:55 PM
link   
reply to post by snowspirit

Oscar the dog is a Shihtzu-Poodle mix, and he has the same issues. He'll start walking goofy or, barring that, keep looking back at me as if he's saying "can we please go back to the house?"

He's horrible with wearing booties, but I found this stuff a couple of years ago, and it really helps him, particularly when there is both snow and cold: Musher's Secret -- it's a wax that you rub into their paw pads and keeps them from getting matted with snow. You might want to give it a shot.

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 02:57 PM
link   

butcherguy

Service calls are stacking up.
This cold has a lot of people screwed up.
Where's my global warming?

This is caused by global warming. (The accepted term now is climate change, I believe.)

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Cobaltic1978
How are you holding up? Do you have enough supplies? Anyone need any help?

Holding up? I hate the cold and am between Peterborough and Ottawa, ~0 F (~-18 C) here right now and wind is about ~20 mph (~32 kph) from the north west so about a -30 F (~-35 C) windchill (nasty but not brutal), sunny right now, about 2 inches (5cm's) of snow dropped on us last night and I have a 140 foot (~45 meter) driveway so that's painful. Supplies? Have lots of supplies, a cold room in case of power loss, food, alcohol and mix, 4 cartons of cigarettes LOL, we are on fresh/well water, 2 wood stoves, a bush cord of wood, candles, propane, flashlights, extra blankets, back-up electricity, vehicle with full tank of gas, saws and other tools to cut extra wood, hunting and fishing accoutrements, etc. Help? 10 million dollars (inflation is a bitch), I would rather start over in Equador, Venezuela, Brazil or Uraguay. I guess living in South Africa for 4 years and working for the military with literally no winters spoiled me, go figure?

Cheers - Dave

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 03:03 PM
link   
reply to post by bobs_uruncle

It can get pretty cold at night on the plains of South Africa, but nothing compared to the weather you're experiencing.

Sorry can't help financially, if I could I would, believe me.

Living near the equator is a good idea if you don't cold winters, go for it.

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 03:04 PM
link   

:/

That's how I"m handling it lol

Freak rain storms and snow storms in Eastern Canada, caused two ice dams to start on my roof.

~Tenth
edit on 1/7/2014 by tothetenthpower because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 03:07 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

did you wallpaper yuor pet to the ceiling?

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 03:07 PM
link   
reply to post by adjensen

I pick up the little fellow as soon as he gets cold, but that "mushers secret" stuff looks like it would be good for my golden lab. He's got short hair, and loves the cold. He lays down in the snow and sideways swims. He eats it, rolls in it, just loves it. Unfortunately, his foot pads crack, so far I rub in coconut oil, and he licks it off.

I don't salt anything out there either, that's too harsh on their feet.

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Burst pipe? Leaky roof? Oh dear!

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Cobaltic1978

Burst pipe? Leaky roof? Oh dear!

It's coming in through a top corner of my house where an ice dam started.

Straight down into my basement.

last night I was getting about a foot an hour, since temperatures were 6 degrees Celsius till about 5 am.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join